what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby cshane » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:20 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1459113613624.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459113613624.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
cshane
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Love the gumball in the back window. :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby cshane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Love the gumball in the back window. :thumbsup:
thank you
cshane
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:31 pm

This is what I'm gonna be towing with, hopefully find alot of back woods out of the way campsites...

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:36 pm

My other xj pulled the popup just fine I just couldn't get enough tire on the popup so it had to go.... ;)

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pixie Susan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:13 am

DrewsBrews wrote:Image
1300lb of trailer weight; ~200lb luggage, gear and tools; and a heavy set passenger did not make the little 1.5l manual happy but it made it through the 2400mi journey. It wouldn't have done mountains so my TTT project will stay compact and under 650lb loaded.

I just recently started towing with a 1st gen xB. Have you installed a transmission cooler? Toying with the idea before I make a 2k mi trip in July.
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:18 am

"" I got me a Chrysler, it seats about 20
So hurry up and bring your jukebox money ""

Town and Country van, AWD Limited, factory tow package.... 2002... well it's what I intend to tow with. Intend to do some "normal" camping, but I might tweak the AWD, install chunky-ish tires and do some soft-road expeditioning. (Don't laugh, these AWD minivans are probably more off road capable than most crossovers)

It's also the "default" RV until the TD gets built, got it figured out how to arrange a bed platform in and, got a chest of drawers that will be jury rigged for a rear kitchen TD style. Also in the pipeline is a roof tent, possibly two roof tents, I've got a small tent plan and a big tent plan, and the tents to modify to do them. Big tent would be 8'x6' small one is 6'3" by 3'6", small one is nominally a 3 person, yeah right, 2 small at a pinch, big one is being cut down from a 6 person cabin, think it would be a real 3 person when done, though 4 if the hatch is slept on, but I'm only going to engineer it for about 600lb static load, or it gets too heavy.

Anyhoo, what I was getting at is that I will have varying camp combinations, that the TD will compliment. 2 in van, 1-3 on van, 2 in TD, possible 1-2 ON TD if small tent gets superseded from use on van, with the TD providing the "facilities".
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Old Rookie » Tue May 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Planning to use 2012 Honda CRV All-Wheel Drive. Hoping to make our 1st trip by mid June.
Ken & Ruth
Okies from Muskogee
Old Rookie
Donating Member

Postby hartk1213 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I use my 2007 Silverado 1500 Image

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk
hartk1213
Teardrop Master

Postby Fergy » Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 am

Just brought this now to build a trailer
Fergy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ai4kk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 am

When I first bought my Microlite Wazat, I towed it home and on a few trips with my Subaru Outback wagon

Several times I even towed it with my girlfriend's F350 dually diesel, which was quite comical as I could barely even see and couldn't feel the trailer at all.

From there, I moved to a Honda Civic hybrid with a 5-spd (about the only hybrid with a manual), which was my primary tow and traveling vehicle for the next couple of years. I eventually had to sell the teardrop to finance a major trip to place what was left of my late son's motorcycle on a mountain in PA.

I'm currently designing a reverse teardrop to tow behind our Subaru Impreza, Kia Soul, or Toyota Tacoma. Incidentally, the Kia won tow vehicle of the year from the UK Caravan Club last year in it's price range, so for anyone looking for a compact car to tow with, that might be worth a peek. As it is, I''m hoping to keep the weight of the trailer at or under 1,000 lbs, but am OK if it goes a little over as both vehicles are rated at or a bit over 2,500lbs (with brakes, which I do plan to have) in Australia
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DrewsBrews » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:57 am

Pixie Susan wrote:I just recently started towing with a 1st gen xB. Have you installed a transmission cooler? Toying with the idea before I make a 2k mi trip in July.

Oops I'm a little late..

Manual transmission. No cooler needed. Gives an extra gear, less parasitic loss and it's final drive is much lower than the auto for some reason... engine rpms are about 500rpm higher in top gear at highway speeds with the manual vs auto (even after TC lock).

IMO I would only tow very light loads with that 1.5l automatic. The drivetrain is already a little small for the size/shape of the vehicle. Definitely install a cooler.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Pixie Susan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:22 am

DrewsBrews wrote:
Pixie Susan wrote:I just recently started towing with a 1st gen xB. Have you installed a transmission cooler? Toying with the idea before I make a 2k mi trip in July.

Oops I'm a little late..

Manual transmission. No cooler needed. Gives an extra gear, less parasitic loss and it's final drive is much lower than the auto for some reason... engine rpms are about 500rpm higher in top gear at highway speeds with the manual vs auto (even after TC lock).

IMO I would only tow very light loads with that 1.5l automatic. The drivetrain is already a little small for the size/shape of the vehicle. Definitely install a cooler.

I still appreciate you responding. I installed a Derale plate and fin tranny cooler a few months back. Just returned from a two week trip with my tiny TD. It pulls like nothing is there until I hit big hills/mountains. I just get in the right lane with the creeping semi's and meander my way up. The engine didn't love the extreme southern heat with our mountains, so I turned the a/c off for the big and long ones.

All in all it did pretty good. Any bigger of a camper and I'd get a bigger tow vehicle (which I'm considering a Casita and 3rd gen or newer 4Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:52 pm

2015 F-150 SuperCrew Sport.

Have yet to build my trailer to tow it :(

Previous vehicle for my old trailer (and I miss it!)

Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby JakeEv » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 pm

IMG_4479.JPG
IMG_4479.JPG (409.18 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
2008 Ford Escape with my 1965 DeVille

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JakeEv
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles