what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby pontdog » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:25 pm

i will be using my 1965 pontiac bonneville but 1st i have to finish my camper this winter160633
pontdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 am

pontdog - I see the word "Bonneville", yet you are from Canada - so is it a US built Pontiac? 389 or 421? (Yes, I used to 'breath' Pontiac when at a younger age(50yrs ago) - 62 Catalina -2 '65 GTO's and owned my 70 455 GTO twice - all of my 'RA-IV' parts ended up in Canada 'somewhere' when sold) .........................
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Vtec44 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm

I have a 2016 Toyota Highlander to tow my little trailer. Gas mileage is decent. I get about 14mpg when towing. It could be better but my trailer wasn't built as aerodynamic.

IMG_9199.jpg
IMG_9199.jpg (260.4 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Vtec44
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pontdog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 pm

gudmund wrote:pontdog - I see the word "Bonneville", yet you are from Canada - so is it a US built Pontiac? 389 or 421? (Yes, I used to 'breath' Pontiac when at a younger age(50yrs ago) - 62 Catalina -2 '65 GTO's and owned my 70 455 GTO twice - all of my 'RA-IV' parts ended up in Canada 'somewhere' when sold) .........................

yes you are correct bonneville is the american car and parisenne was the canadian this car was from California originally.i love pontiac my last one was a kustom.but this one has a 389 and should have no trouble pulling my trailer
pontdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:52 am

I would think this Pontiac will do just fine towing - back in 'their' day, this vehicle was considered one of the great towing vehicles (389/421 with the turbo400 trans!!) along with the "full sized" Oldsmobile/Buick/Cadillac/Chrysler/Dodge/Ford and 'big block' Chevs. Back than, PU's really had not yet hit the 'towing vehicle mark' yet as they have now-days with all of the power options they offer today. There were no extended cabs/multi-door'ed one's available yet and it wasn't till the mid-seventies that they even started offering the big motor power-train's that were already in full sized cars. The '65 Catalina SW my dad had always did just fine when towing - the one thing I would check into doing (if not already done) is the up-dating of the brake system to a newer front disc/dual master cyl system - I would think the 69/newer disc set-up would probably be adaptable to this 65.
The front brake hose 'breaking' incident in 1969 when I was 15 and backing the boat trailer into the water comes to mind. I backed it in stopping when he told me to, thus holding my foot on the brake pedal (still in reverse-like I said, I was 15 :oops: ) a front brake breaks - brake pedal goes to the floor, I slammed it into drive pulling forward out of the water as I get it stopped with the e-brake - I than find him drenched and in the water holding onto the boat. '65's (everything made than) still had just the single cylinder brake systems and if any part of the system failed - you lost it "all" of the system!! It wasn't till '67 when they changed over to the duel cylinder setup and about '69/'70 when front disc's started being offered (as a option-extra $$).
gudmund
500 Club

Postby pontdog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:48 pm

gudmund wrote:I would think this Pontiac will do just fine towing - back in 'their' day, this vehicle was considered one of the great towing vehicles (389/421 with the turbo400 trans!!) along with the "full sized" Oldsmobile/Buick/Cadillac/Chrysler/Dodge/Ford and 'big block' Chevs. Back than, PU's really had not yet hit the 'towing vehicle mark' yet as they have now-days with all of the power options they offer today. There were no extended cabs/multi-door'ed one's available yet and it wasn't till the mid-seventies that they even started offering the big motor power-train's that were already in full sized cars. The '65 Catalina SW my dad had always did just fine when towing - the one thing I would check into doing (if not already done) is the up-dating of the brake system to a newer front disc/dual master cyl system - I would think the 69/newer disc set-up would probably be adaptable to this 65.
The front brake hose 'breaking' incident in 1969 when I was 15 and backing the boat trailer into the water comes to mind. I backed it in stopping when he told me to, thus holding my foot on the brake pedal (still in reverse-like I said, I was 15 :oops: ) a front brake breaks - brake pedal goes to the floor, I slammed it into drive pulling forward out of the water as I get it stopped with the e-brake - I than find him drenched and in the water holding onto the boat. '65's (everything made than) still had just the single cylinder brake systems and if any part of the system failed - you lost it "all" of the system!! It wasn't till '67 when they changed over to the duel cylinder setup and about '69/'70 when front disc's started being offered (as a option-extra $$).

i have already got the setup for disc brake conversion with dual master cly and there is going to be trailer brakes as well and also doing a separate transmission cooler
pontdog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:04 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :beer: on the brakes - your ahead of me!! enjoy.............
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Yakcraz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:22 am

2008 Chevy Z71
Yakcraz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:41 pm

2012 GMC Canyon (2wheel drive base model w/2.9L 4cyl-auto-3.73gear) towing 1600lb 5x8tear 156749 Also with a few added performance mods = not in power, which "Yes" can be just a 'little' lacking sometimes being it is just a 4cyl, but it does alright. It is the suspension changes that have make it a "nice" handling/driving PU for towing the trailer - front-end was lowered 'just' one inch so as to be level once the trailer is in tow along with the front sway being replaced with a larger diameter one. The rear got a rear sway bar added along with air bags - all 4 corners also got new better grade shocks installed with 'just-a-bit' wider tires.
Last edited by gudmund on Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby ArkansasDon » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:03 pm

2000 GMC Z71 with a few performance mod's.
Attachments
forum (2).jpg
forum (2).jpg (205.87 KiB) Viewed 568 times
2019 Runaway Range Runner Offroad Build
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72442
ArkansasDon
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:35 pm

From a recent trip. 2011 Tahoe in police trim.

Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles