Proportional Brake Controllers

All about towing and tow vehicles

Postby MtnDon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Any recommendations for a decent brake controller, proportional type, that is easy to install, program and use. Have a Tacoma with factory wiring.
If you have a favorite / recommendation what is it that makes it good in your eyes?
Thanks.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Proportional Brake Controllers

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:56 pm

I've got a teconsha P3 that works great....good on board diagnostics etc. look for it on sale....it's a pricy unit...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Martiangod » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:00 am

Teconsha controlers are great, had voyagers in my last 2 trucks.
Biggest prob I had with them was on a light trailer in snow and ice it would lock the wheels, not sure if the P3 can stop that, but The P2 was a great controller, so I'm certain the 3 is better.
Nothing beats the Ford factory integrated one in my 2013 150. Cross country and back in snow and ice and no sliding trailer wheels.
Now being in the rv biz for a long time...30 years.
\For aftermarket, stick with teconsha, they last and last and last.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:45 am

I think any money spent on brakes is well spent and cheap compared to a lot of things we spend money on.

I bought one of these: http://www.hayesbc.com/?page_id=1045

Available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... controller

No little lever to set, easy to set for various max percentages of braking power (voltage) and four settings for trailers of differing weights compared to your tow vehicle.

It comes connectorized but the length and connector didn't fit my Traverse so I cut the factory connector off and spliced on a pigtail with a connector that matched the Traverse. It mounts to your vehicle with double sticky tape. I wanted it easily removable w/o any adhesive residue so I mounted a small aluminum plate to the underside of my dash with a couple of screws and then stuck the controller's bracket to the aluminum plate. If, for some reason, I want to remove the controller's bracket I'll just have two small holes rather than some adhesive residue that will be difficult to impossible to remove. It is easy to take the controller out of the bracket and extra brackets are available if you want to use the controller in more than one vehicle.

A nice feature is that when you are braking you can see the percentage of full voltage being applied to the trailer brakes. Lets you know what's going on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:15 am

I agree with others Teconsha P3 works great and is well worth any money you spend. Nice smooth braking with virtually no hitch noise.

Stopping your package safely is far more important than getting it going in the first place.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:26 am

I can turn the voltage down to a very low number...I can't remember what it is....but I'd be surprised if it doesn't :)

I can say with certainty I don't even know a trailer is there when I'm using it....this is the only controller I've used, so I can't give direct comparison...but I have driven without one before....I really like the p3
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sagebrush » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:36 pm

:thumbsup: I vote for the Teconsha P3. :thumbsup:
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:47 pm

GerryS wrote:I've got a teconsha P3 that works great....good on board diagnostics etc. look for it on sale....it's a pricy unit...

Another vote for the P3. Just set it and forget it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I've had a P3 in my truck since I bought it on 2007. It has worked flawlessly the entire time.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I'd like to recommend the Hopkins Impulse, which I use in my '04 Chevy. Easy to install (after seeing mine, 4 friends/relatives had me put one in each of their Chevys also). The digital display makes repeatability (for different, but recurring) loads easy to set (I have a cheat sheet with the settings written down). I even have different settings for different speeds and stop-and-go traffic. I don't know if anyone has experience with the Hopkins line, but all these are still working fine 10 years later. I had a Reese on another truck, and Voyagers (Tekonsha ??) on two others, but not digital, and hard to repeat settings with them. I did have one Tekonsha fail, but that was probably due to the wiring job done to install it (not mine). I don't think you could fault any of the three brands I mentioned, but I strongly recommend a digital display.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 am

A digital display like this? :lol:

Tekonsha P3

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 pm

bdosborn wrote:A digital display like this? :lol:

Tekonsha P3

Bruce
Not quite; but my 10 year-old model's display is OK (for my needs) for less than half the price. I like the P3, and would consider it if buying today, but mine still works, so....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles