Mud Flaps on the TV...?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Mud Flaps on the TV...?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:10 am

bdosborn wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:I feel a lot of teardrop dings are from large trucks that have large mud flaps but don't protect other vehicles from the side. No mud flap can deal with that situation.

True and I have to admit you approach has me thinking. I wonder if it helps aerodynamically with airflow around the trailer. The curved sides look like they might help direct air around around the sides of the trailer. :thinking: Did you notice any difference?

Bruce

Bruce, I felt the Rock Tamers compromised air flow and my rock guard seems to take the air flow in it's stride.
My dings were to the tongue box and a couple feet above, the rest were on the fenders.
The angled sides of my rock guard are in line with the outer most protrusion of the fenders, I'm hoping that will help them.
I had the commercial grade tarp ( $60 ) made out of that shade cloth where some air will go through it but still give me the protection I desire.
I ordered it without grommets so I could place them to my liking.
From my vantage point of the door mirror, it doesn't shimmy during highway speeds.
One of my teardrops had enough dings in the tongue box that I had to remove the aluminum and re skin it before I sold it, something I want to avoid again.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Irmo Atomics » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:44 am

I have the ever popular Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mudflaps on my truck.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:28 am

So your basic truck mud flaps only work if they’re long and wide enough :thinking: ... That rock tamer is a cool idea , but rather have something we could leave on , as we have a dirt road in front of the house ... and lots of rocks too ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:05 pm

MtnDon wrote:Well, I do appreciate what a good mudflap can do for keeping a trailer front clean(er) but After I tore the second mudflap off the Tacoma (off highway rocks get in the way) I removed all of them; first with the Sawzall, later I tidied up with a wrench. Perhaps I need a set of the giant removable ones? :thinking:

I have mud flaps on the trailer too. I made sure to keep them higher than the curb so I wouldn't tear them off backing into the driveway. That's when the mud flap gets torn off - if it gets wedged between a rock/curb and the tire when backing up. It got tore up anyways when I had a tire blow out. :x

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby ctstaas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Midget wrote:I was tired of rock chips and dirt thrown up by the TV so I made a mud flap set up that attaches to the drop part of the hitch. It has cut down truck mud flaps and works great. My wife says it looks very redneck so when we're not pulling the trailer it just slides out with the hitch and stores away in the barn.

Redneck? does a design get any better?
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:14 am

Probably Not !!! That’ll do it !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:22 am

Wow A great set of Kentucky air brakes ! :rofl:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:32 am

Midget: Have you got a pic laying around you could post of the weldment you made that attaches to your hitch? I can't quite make it out in your pic.

I might have to go stare at my hitch.... :thinking: :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Midget » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 am

Tony,

Here are a couple of pics. I made a cap out of 1 inch angle iron. Two sides and a top. I also welded on two straps across the front. With two straps on the back and some bolts it sits like a cover on top of the drop section of the receiver. I then used 1/2 inch square tube for the angles to another long section of 1 inch angle. The flaps are bolted to an aluminum angle which is bolted to the mount. The flaps sit just above the ground when parked on a level surface. While towing the wind lifts them but just a couple inches. No more rock chips. We're restoring a 1948 Airstream and I definitely didn't want stuff thrown up from the tires on that!

Bob

Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am

Bob:

Thanks for taking the time to drag it out and snap a couple of pics. I'm definitely going to do something, and thanks to you, it may be done with my welder.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Like your idea Bob...just painted and polished the front of the newest build and definitely want to keep chips and dents from happening.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles