Question about towing with a Toyota Corolla

All about towing and tow vehicles

Question about towing with a Toyota Corolla

Postby bart » Tue May 06, 2014 9:38 pm

We just bought a 2014 Corolla with the CVT transmission. The owners manual indicates that towing is not feasible with this vehicle. We have a 5X9 teardrop that weighs around 700 lbs. I would sure like to tow our teardrop with it. Does anyone have an opinion in this regard that they are willing to share?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Bart
bart
Teardrop Builder

Re: Question about towing with a Toyota Corolla

Postby MtnDon » Tue May 06, 2014 10:17 pm

The manufacturer may void the warranty if they see a hitch installed on a vehicle they do not rate for towing.

It seems that many car models sold in the US have a lesser tow rating or no tow rating while what appears to be the same model may have a tow rating (or larger rating) in some other parts of the world.

I would be cautious myself about towing with a non rated vehicle that had lots of warranty left. But that is me.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gage » Wed May 07, 2014 2:52 am

For one thing the gearing isn't there for towing. Both trans and final drive. But like that, it's your car. :o
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mojave Bob » Wed May 07, 2014 7:20 am

I know there are folks who will disagree with me, but I would never tow anything with a CVT transmission. It is possible to build a tow-capable CVT, robust enough to handle the additional load, but that isn't what they are putting into cars today - particularly small cars. If you search the internet for CVT transmissions, you will find the failure rate is extraordinarily high.
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby bart » Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. It looks like I won't be towing with the Corolla. I had a CVT in a small SUV and it towed the teardrop well. As someone mentioned, the difference is that this is a small car, made to be economical and not necessarily durable enough to move anything but itself. thanks again.
bart
Teardrop Builder

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles