Towing with a 2006 Honda CRV

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Towing with a 2006 Honda CRV

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:22 pm

jonw wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:The Mazda is not recommended for towing in the USA, although in Europe it has rated tow capacities. Probably a liability issue. The problem with towing beyond the MFG recommendation, or at all if the MFG doesn't recommend it, is liability. Insurance companies and lawyers are destroying this great nation.

Mazda sells an accessory tow hitch for the CX-5 so I'm not terribly worried - mine was installed by the dealer. IIRC, like the CRV it's rated for 1500 lbs. max.

Interesting. I looked it up, and the CX-5 is actually rated for 2,000 lb towing. A few years ago, when I was shopping for a new TV, the only Mazda with a tow rating was the truck. Good for Mazda! That makes the CX-5 a much more impressive vehicle (in my eyes, anyway). Plus, it has gotten much better looking with the latest redesign! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:13 pm

It hasn't been asked or mentioned... how much does yer TD weigh ? KMine weighs 800lbs camp ready and I tow with a 1965 VW Beetle ! A round trip,campout of 7-800 miles is not uncommon fer me and my TD
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Maureenm » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:24 pm

I tow with a 2001 CRV! It's a lot wimpier than a 2006 would be. Slow going over some mountains at times, but I'm not usually in a hurry. I did finally get a tranny cooler before my last long trip. My tow capacity is listed at 1000# for that year and my teardrop is 760. You should be fine if your tear isn't a behemoth. :thumbsup:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby catinmoon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:53 am

Hi, thanks again for all the input. My teardrop is 600 lbs without all my stuff in there. I haven't weighed it with the camping things, dishes, etc. I would think a few hundred more pounds? Has anyone done a before stuff and after stuff weighing?

I haven't had an automatic transmission in many years so that is one thing that I will have to adapt to if I get a crv. I do like the control of having the manual transmission.

Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:14 am

I took my TD to the local transfer station ( dump) and used their scale. Since it was only important to find the "total" weight, I weighed it with all my gear,etc. inside. That's camp ready fer 3 days of campin...food,utensiles,clothes..everstuff I put IN the TD fer campin. The resta the stuff I pack into my VW. Empty weight doesn't really matter to me. Jus the amount of weight I hafta tow..then I only hadta weigh it on the scale once.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tucguy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:43 pm

I tow my 2006 Little Guy 5' Platform which weighs 970 lbs with my 2004 Honda CRV. The CRV's built since 2001 have the powerful 2.4 liter Vtec engine. Remember that Honda has always been the King of 4cyl. engines. I do think that mine with the 5 speed manual transmission is a much better towing package than the automatic. I often drive a friends 2002 CRV with the auto transmission and it is a completely different animal. Mine is very much more of a go machine. I tow the trailer, with two adults and a child, and side tent, and SUV tent, food, etc. No brakes on trailer. It does a great job. I get about 27 miles per gallon at 65 mph on the flat. It is far better than the mileage I get when I am alone on the freeway driving 75 to 80. I then get about 21 mpg. American cars with 4cyl engines have a reputation to be gutless but don't confuse that with the Honda Vtec engines. The transmissions are a different story. The power is there, it is how it is transmitted to those front wheels. I have the real time four wheel drive which is normally front wheel drive unless it detects slippage and then the rear wheels are driven. I think the newer CRV may be AWD (all wheel drive). The manual transmission has been discontinued in the US. A definite mistake in my opinion if you want to use that Vtec engine the way it is supposed to be used. Eventually all cars will be automatics with paddle shifters and if the transmissions are then built to take that load, we may have the answer to a smaller really good tow vehicle with an automatic transmission without losing all that power.
Attachments
Bog Springs Campground Dec. 3, 09 580E.jpg
Bog Springs Campground Dec. 3, 09 580E.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Last edited by Tucguy on Fri May 13, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby catinmoon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:23 am

thanks, I didn't realize CRVs came in a manual transmission. I must admit I prefer them, for the most part, since they do seem to have more "guts" so to speak. I may revise my search for a CRV. Any idea what year they stopped making the manual transmission? Although I've been confining my search to 2006 and earlier since I like the visibility of the larger windows.

Stephanie
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Tucguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:06 pm

I believe the manual transmissions in the CRV's were discontinued with the new generation 3 design beginning in 2007. I believe the six speed manual is still available in Europe. Towing maximum weight limit in the US is 1,500 lbs but 3,000 in Europe with trailer brakes required. I don't know of a constant velocity transmission built by Honda.
I am updating my last statement as I have now found that the 2015 Honda CRV is available with a Constant Velosity Transmission. There is not a lot of information on using them as a TV at this time. I would be wary though.
Tucguy
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles