2" or 1-7/8" ball???

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: 2" or 1-7/8" ball???

Postby yrock87 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 pm

one benefit to 1-7/8" is that it is slightly less common, so some opportunity theves may not be able to grab your trailer. having said that most "trailer people" will have the common ball sizes. I ended up going with 2" on my tear and my utility trailer even though I only have a class II hitch on my Subaru. the cargo trailer came with a 2" so it made sense to me to build my TD with a 2" for ease of use.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Went with 2" cause that's what my boat trailer had. Keep it simple!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 am

yrock87 wrote:one benefit to 1-7/8" is that it is slightly less common, so some opportunity theves may not be able to grab your trailer. having said that most "trailer people" will have the common ball sizes. I ended up going with 2" on my tear and my utility trailer even though I only have a class II hitch on my Subaru. the cargo trailer came with a 2" so it made sense to me to build my TD with a 2" for ease of use.

1-7/8 ball has been around for YEARS...... It is not uncommon, it was the go to size long before 2 inch ball came along...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:04 am

If you have trailer(s) with different size ball/hitch and its not practical to change any hitch so all match, COLOR CODE ball/hitch combinations.... All blue= good, all red= good, blue & red =OOPS...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:19 am

yrock87 wrote:one benefit to 1-7/8" is that it is slightly less common, so some opportunity theves may not be able to grab your trailer. having said that most "trailer people" will have the common ball sizes. I ended up going with 2" on my tear and my utility trailer even though I only have a class II hitch on my Subaru. the cargo trailer came with a 2" so it made sense to me to build my TD with a 2" for ease of use.

Dale M. wrote:

1-7/8 ball has been around for YEARS...... It is not uncommon, it was the go to size long before 2 inch ball came along...

Dale

The 1-7/8 is not uncommon, and it's not a theft deterrent. A 1-7/8 ball is used to steal both 1-7/8 and 2 " sized couplers. And many get 1-7/8 and 2" sized couplers on different things and accidentally use 1-7/8 ball when 2" is needed. Sometimes it rides there and sometimes it comes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:24 am

Point taken. I guess my point was that you cannot usually use a 2" to take a 1-7/8" ball hitched trailer. And that many peoples first trailer nowadays is going to be a 2".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 am

an interesting thread...

a point that my quick scan did not pick up on is it is not the size of the ball that is more important, when discussing weight pulled

w/ bumper pull trailers the towed weight factor is, IMHO, governed by the diameter of the bolt thru the hitch

1 7/8" balls usually come w/ a 3/4" bolt, though they can be had w/ a 1" bolt

2" balls most often come w/ a 1" bolt and like the smaller ball can be had w/ a 3/4" bolt

the 3/4" bolts are usually on balls rated for 2000# for either size ball

the ball ratings are usually stamped on the top of the ball itself

TD's usually fall under the 2000# weight so it really doesn't matter which way one goes

i would agree w/ the above ^^^ suggestion to keep all hitches, one owns/tows, common to one size ball

MAKE SURE THE BALL YOU SETTLE ON HAS A BOLT THAT FILLS THE HOLE IN THE HITCH!

coupler manufacturers make their products in sizes that will accomodate most any size trailer tongue one might have and oddly enough most of them have a common bolt pattern for ease of exchange

good sources of couplers are Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Gebo's & E-Trailer

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR PROJECT

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles