Towing with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac

All about towing and tow vehicles

Towing with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Postby AceMan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Has anyone been using a Ford Explorer Sport Trac as a TV? I really like the looks but don't know if I could take the hit on gas milage. (I know the price of gas will go up in the future ;sad; )
I use a Chevy HHR now and average 22-24 depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Gene
AceMan
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Towing with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Postby M C Toyer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:43 pm

I had a Sport Trac with the V6, auto transmission, and 4WD prior to my present Jeep Liberty.

The Sport Trac was primarily used to tow a work trailer which approached the 5500# limit and mileage was not that great, about 12-14 mpg

My similarly equipped Jeep towing my under 1000# motorcycle and camping trailers gets reasonable mileage, about 15-18 mpg, but both vehicles are built on truck frames and fairly heavy to begin with. They are very dependable, nearly indestructible, and have plenty of reserve power for small to medium sized trailers.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby ZoNiE » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:59 am

I tow a 6,000# (Wet) Travel Trailer with a 2009 Adrenalin. V8 AWD. 6,900# Rating (7K with 2WD) Tows great. I previously had a 2001 with the V6. I towed a ski/bass boat and a popup camper. Both great vehicles, but the V6 models come with the 5R55E 5 Speed automatic which is a bit of a turd. The transmission works well, but is prone to failure of the solenoids, and many shops just rebuild it. The V8 has the ZF designed 6 Speed which is a much better unit.
This photo was taken prior to setting up the hitch properly, and replacing the rear springs/shocks with Ranchos and going to a taller sidewall tire. This setup tows like a dream.

Both trucks got about 13-14 MPG, and towing the big trailer, closer to 10.

2010 Skyline Nomad. Heavily modified. 400W solar. Honda EV4010.
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD V8.
Next TT Project: Alde Hydronic Heat.
ZoNiE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AceMan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:54 pm

I bit the bullet and purchased a 2004 Adrenalin with 97K. It has the v6 so your comments on the 5 speed tranny is a bit disheartening but I can live with it.
On trip from Texas to Illinois towing my 1100# tear I averaged about 15.5 mph. I enjoyed the ride much better compared to towing with the HHR.
For another comment-- I will be bold and say anyone who doesn't think it's a great looking truck may have blinders on IMO. 8)

Gene
AceMan
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles