Conch Fritter's new(ish) tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Conch Fritter's new(ish) tow vehicle.

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:41 am

A few months back we traded in the 2008 F150 Triton V8, just before the infamous engine problems stated getting worse. After all, it had a whole 70,000 miles on it. Bought a 2012 Kia Sedona and could not be happier, more comfort, more room and actually tows the Conch Fritter easier. Just took Conch Fritter out on her maiden test run with the Kia and could not be happier, did not know the trailer was behind. Did full speed panic stops, accelleration, etc. No problems at all. So here they are...

Now it is time to build the "pirate chest" tongue box, paint the white parts and I've decided to fully strip all the exterior wood and refinish. Probably will do a couple week trip up into NC in the fall, but for now getting our house in Florida ready to sell. We've decided to go for a house about 1/2 the present size and in the mountains.

Dave and Regina
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Conch Fritter's new(ish) tow vehicle.

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:36 pm

I was getting ready to finally do the "bed end" conversion on Conch Fritter's bed platform, which would allow us to use it also as a settee in bad weather when I realized something. I'm old, so stuff takes longer to get from one side of the brain to the other, like a few months. I have a minivan now and I removed the middle seats. I left the rear bench seat in place for my dog to sit on while we travel. I then came to the realization that I don't need to make a settee for bad weather, I have a "living room" already in the minivan. The rear seat is comfortable, is in 2 sections and each section independently reclines. It has a ton of leg room. It has cup holders and individual trays. I can put the computer/tv on the moveable stand I made that sits between the front seats. I have a living room!

While we spend most of our time outside, when it is rainy or cold or whatever, we have a pretty decent living room. The trailer is the bedroom, toilet, galley. The minivan is the comfy place to spend time when the weather sucks during the day.

:D

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby catinmoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 am

Hi, just saw this post. Are you still loving your Kia as a tow vehicle? I like the idea of the extra room when there is bad weather.
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:16 am

Yes, we absolutely do! We've now gone about 8-10,000 miles with it towing the trailer. It drives great, gas mileage is acceptable (Kia/Hundai are not the greatest in gas mileage), it is comfortable. Don't really even know the trailer is back there. My daughter is now going to trade in their Monte Carlo for a new one. Would definitely buy again.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles