2010 Camry..Bad idea?

All about towing and tow vehicles

2010 Camry..Bad idea?

Postby Visionist » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm not a huge fan of tents but I need something lightweight so a teardrop seems to make sense. Currently I've got a 2010 camry 4 cylinder automatic that I am exploring the idea of towing a light teardrop with, There would only ever be myself or myself+my girlfriend who is only 100lbs so the car wouldn't be loaded with people while towing.
What is the feasibility of towing with this car? What plans would you recommend I follow? I was looking at the pico-light but I definitely want a galley which doesn't seem possible with that trailer.
Something like this would be awesome if I could keep the weight low: http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/mazda-miata-towing-teardrop-trailer-by-emtboy9.jpg
Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
For what its worth I'm about 5ft10, not really claustrophobic
Visionist
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 2010 Camry..Bad idea?

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:23 pm

If you were close I have what you need ! At 525# loaded ready to camp I have towed it with my Goldwing. Roadtrip and $1200.00 its yours !

and the build link if you are interested !

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3 ... van+winkle
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:29 pm

It's not a bad idea to tow with a Camry as long as you're within its towing limits. I would consult your owner's manual and then see what you're able to tow.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby DMPinBC » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Towing with a Camry... Why not? I believe that in the USA, the Camry is rated upto 1000lb. Found an Australian list, and the Camry is rated for 500kg no trailer brakes, or 1200kg with trailer brakes. (500kg = approx. 1100lb, 1200kg = approx. 2650lb)

My suggestion is to make sure that you get trailer brakes added to your future trailer (even if you don't think you need them based on the weight rating). Your safety is priceless. Really, the only trailers that don't require brakes should be limited to those that do the 5 to 10 kilometre trip to the local dump with the yard waste.

For what it's worth, I have a Prius generation 3 and recently towed a Prolite Suite from Vancouver, BC down to San Francisco and back. Empty weight, the suite is 560lbs. Never got the time to weigh it with the camping stuff inside it. Put the Prius into power mode, and other then reducing fuel consumption, the car didn't even know it was towing. I normally get around 4.8L/100km (approx 50mpg) and towing I was getting approx 6L/100km (about 40mpg) (keeping to the country roads. On the I5, I was getting worse - about 6.5 to 7L/100km.

It was nice to annoy all the campers I met using their trucks to tow their one bedroom luxury apartments when filling up with gas.

Have fun with your camping trailer hunt, and enjoy your camping when you do get it.
DMPinBC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Visionist » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:10 pm

bobhenry wrote:If you were close I have what you need ! At 525# loaded ready to camp I have towed it with my Goldwing. Roadtrip and $1200.00 its yours !

and the build link if you are interested !

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3 ... van+winkle

If only! Im quite the hop and skip away in Newfoundland, Canada :thumbdown:
Visionist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Xanthoman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:06 pm

I have a concept that would make the lightest trailer I have yet heard of or seen (for its size) but it is still untested. Use a 1/8" ply exterior and just join it enough with small 1x2s to make the shape, then have someone spray 1-1/2" of ccspf (closed cell spray polyurethane insulation). On the inside use 1/8 ply on the floor and use rosin paper for papier-mâché on the walls. The strength is in the foam, as well as it is totally water impermeable. I would still recommend a thin (2.5 oz or so) layer of fiberglass on the outside or just epoxy for water proofing and wood protection. I designed mine being much larger than you are describing (6x12) and mine should weigh about 650 lbs ready to camp, a standard 4x8 would be even easier on your car. ( I plan to pull mine with a '94 accord myself)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles