Trailer brake controller ... which one are you using

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Trailer brake controller ... which one are you using

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:00 pm

StrongFeather wrote:I haven't really researched brake controller much yet, but I'm curious if anyone has ever mounted theirs on the trailer instead of inside that TV.

Steve

What is your purpose for mounting it in the trailer?

The main reason you want it in the TV is so you can adjust it for different conditions. i.e. downhill on loose gravel. Or if your trailer starts to wobble back and forth you can apply the breaks to the trailer to stop it.

That said I am building my trailer now and am planning to be able to move the controller from the TV and mount it to the outside of the tongue box. That way if I get in a thigh spot and need to unhook the teardrop from the Jeep I can control the breaks as I try to muscle the tear around. Now this is something I don't want to do but is is better that relying on someone throwing a rock under the tire if the camper gets away from me.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:57 pm

You could pull your breakaway cable if the trailer starts to get away from you when manouvering it by hand.
Handy thing with having the controller in the trailer is if you switch the trailer between vehicles a bunch you dont have to spend 15 minutes on a back road setting your brakes every single time you switch vehicles. Also handier if your someone who gets a new vehicle all the time and dont want to have to install a trailer brake controller every 2 years. Someone else without a brake controller can safely tow your trailer. Lots of benefits, but those never outweighed the downsides for me. I think its pretty important to be able to have full control over the trailer brakes from the drivers seat.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby ParTaxer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:14 am

DrawTite 5504 Activator IX. Easily adjustable with first use.
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 pm

StrongFeather wrote:I haven't really researched brake controller much yet, but I'm curious if anyone has ever mounted theirs on the trailer instead of inside that TV.

Steve

Yes, there have been at least two done that way on this forum. I'm in the planning stages of build #4 and I'll install it in the tongue box.

Here's how Noseoil did it:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63153&p=1228802&hilit=tekonsha#p1228802

To me, it makes sense. I'd rather not put a controller in my tow vehicle. I used to pull horse trailers and boats for work and I don't ever recall having to search for the controller when things got dicey. (And having said that, I've never had a pucker situation with a decade and a half of pulling teardrops.)

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. Hide the control box anywhere at any angle, mount one small control button.
We considered the new Curt Echo wireless, but could not get comfortable using a smart phone as actuator button via Bluetooth.
Our trailer is light enough it doesn't require brakes, but we want them. Specifically, we most want the ability to actuate just the trailer brakes when it starts wagging on the freeway or when crawling down a steep hill in back country. When I suggested the Curt Echo and described it, the wife was hilarious.

wife: "So let me get this straight. The trailer brake button is on the cell phone"
me: "Exactly. Zero installation work. The coordination with car brake pedal is always there, but trailer-brakes-only button is on the phone"
wife: "so when the truck blows by us on the freeway, I need to unlock my cell phone, launch the app, and push the button?"
me, "well yeah, but..."
wife: "and then, if we are lucky, the magical radio Bluetooth connection may work, and the trailer brakes may engage?"
me: "OK, we stick with the Redarc..."
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:44 pm

try and explain that to the cop that just pulled you over for 'using a call phone' while driving :roll: :? ? ...........
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MatTech » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm

I installed a Tekonsha P3 in my Ford Ranger along with all the wiring to convert to 7 pin (charging wire and power wire for the brakes with breakers at the battery). I was very pleased with how it worked and the TV actually brakes better with the trailer pinned that on it's own. I like the adjustability and the boost functions as my trailer is currently a flat bed which goes from empty to hauling cars and everything in between.

One word of advice though if you have to do any of your own wiring, don't cut corners and tap into the brake light wire instead of the actual brake pedal wire just because it may be more accessible. In theory it shouldn't cause any problems at all until you're having trouble getting up to speed on the highway and you decide to use your 4 way flashers *facepalm*. Not saying I did that, but not denying it either lol.

I just got a new truck this weekend and it has a built in brake controller so we will see how it compares with the Tekonsha.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
MatTech
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ZColorado » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 am

Proportional brake controllers are much much safer then the old school timed ones. They have benefited greatly from the accelerometers in cell phones. They automatically adjust to their installed orientation and will adjust brake pressure based on drivers input not some old school timer.

Think of a scenario where you need to panic stop, a timer based controller wont activate quick enough and will push you. A proportional controller will quickly ramp up brake power and help you stop.

The cost of the slightly cheaper timer based controllers is not worth it.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:22 am

The "Tekonsha Prodigy" just got installed and so far am very happy with it!!. Did $$cost$$ 'just' a bit more than the Tekonsha P2 I had planned on using, but the not having to make any wiring connections under the dash was the BIG selling point for me for buying this product instead. (Tow vehicle is a base model - 2012 GMC Canyon that did not have the factory 'installed' tow package) Had been interested in the 'Autobrake' brand (5 yr warranty) controller, but instead went for this one after finding out it was $$$ed about the same, but it came with a 'much' longer warranty (trailer unit 15 yr - Hand Held Controller 5 yr warranty) alone with it having "so much more" overall control and adjustability with it's 'remote hand held unit' - the only wire I did have to run was from the battery to the 7 wire bumper connector. Yes, it was a bit 'pricy' ($300) - but being the trailer came with trailer brakes 'included' in the overall 'discounted' $$$'ed trailer deal when I bought it last year, I feel being I didn't have to pay 'extra' for the brake system to begin with, it was kind of a =equal= $$$ trade off......................... :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles