2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advice?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Brake Controller and Towing Advi

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am

pchast wrote:I would not leave the connector there. Can it be mounted above the bumper/hitch somehow?

Hi Pete,

There is no place that I can think of. Looking for ideas. Thanks for chiming in.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 am

pchast wrote:I would not leave the connector there. Can it be mounted above the bumper/hitch somehow?

Do you think it would be okay to flip it upside down on the same mount. That would be an easy fix.
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 am

look like some ground clearance could be gained by sliding the connector side ways and up the trailer hitch either way. Also, depending on what size of ball will be used - these 3 way receivers can cause problems when being used when one of the balls is in the down position - it can be a bottoming out point of contact, especially when going in/out of parking lots.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 am

gudmund wrote:look like some ground clearance could be gained by sliding the connector side ways and up the trailer hitch either way. Also, depending on what size of ball will be used - these 3 way receivers can cause problems when being used when one of the balls is in the down position - it can be a bottoming out point of contact, especially when going in/out of parking lots.

Thanks for the tip. I have never used a three way before but at least in this position there is no ball on the bottom. Not sure how to mount side ways. What do you think about trying to flip it upside down?
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am

gudmund wrote:look like some ground clearance could be gained by sliding the connector side ways and up the trailer hitch either way. Also, depending on what size of ball will be used - these 3 way receivers can cause problems when being used when one of the balls is in the down position - it can be a bottoming out point of contact, especially when going in/out of parking lots.

I think you are right. Do you have any ideas on what I could use to make a bracket to mount sideways?

I may be able to r rotate 7 pin in the bracket it has and then I have one that came with a kit for hitch mount I could flatten this and would extend it out for enough to mount in the up position and then put the 7 pin in a sideways instead of upside down.

Off to ace I go.
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Thank you Guys for setting me straight. I think this will work. I feel much better about this now.

Again Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

:thumbsup:
Attachments
0123181053.jpg
0123181053.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Correction... Just realized it could be upright...
Attachments
0123181254.jpg
0123181254.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:36 pm

the electrical hook-up is looking good now but you may not be able to use the 3-way being the use of the 2 inch ball may mean the opposite ball ends up bottoming out. You would just have to use a receiver with the single ball setup in the ball size you are using.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby MrBo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

gudmund wrote:the electrical hook-up is looking good now but you may not be able to use the 3-way being the use of the 2 inch ball may mean the opposite ball ends up bottoming out. You would just have to use a receiver with the single ball setup in the ball size you are using.

Thanks! That will not be a problem because I have another single 2" ball that was on there before this. As long as this set up works with the 2 5/16 on top I am happy.

Thanks again!
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Looks good now. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MrBo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 am

pchast wrote:Looks good now.
Thank you! Feel better now too.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:31 am

I have a Kia Sedona, which is the Hundai Entourage. I have a v6 and 3500# rating. I agree completely with the location of the 7 pin on the car side, as with the tongue weight, you will get a substantial dip, primarily when entering something like a driveway where one side is higher than the other. When that happens you have a good chance of tearing the connector off or tearing out wires (I know from experience).

My camper weighs about 1,400# fully loaded, but we have often run with the total load getting pretty high between the camper and the van cargo. Only real problem I see is the windage factor, which isn't really a problem, just don't expect very good gas mileage and can have a serious effect on speed. The extended tongue will make it tow and back easier, but it does shift a substantial amount of load forward (leverage). Be aware of this when hooking up. I try to keep my tow vehicle ride height drop to no more than 1-2", if possible.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby MrBo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:45 am

daveesl77 wrote:I have a Kia Sedona, which is the Hundai Entourage. I have a v6 and 3500# rating. I agree completely with the location of the 7 pin on the car side, as with the tongue weight, you will get a substantial dip, primarily when entering something like a driveway where one side is higher than the other. When that happens you have a good chance of tearing the connector off or tearing out wires (I know from experience).

My camper weighs about 1,400# fully loaded, but we have often run with the total load getting pretty high between the camper and the van cargo. Only real problem I see is the windage factor, which isn't really a problem, just don't expect very good gas mileage and can have a serious effect on speed. The extended tongue will make it tow and back easier, but it does shift a substantial amount of load forward (leverage). Be aware of this when hooking up. I try to keep my tow vehicle ride height drop to no more than 1-2", if possible.

dave

Thanks Dave, great information. Hoping I can take some back road highways on the way back to stay off I-70 Don't plant to go over 65 but seems when you are on major highways everyone is going 90+ mph and can come up on you too fast.

What you are saying is what I was worried about as far as the wires. My Suv will not be loaded that much and same in the future cause it will all be in the trailer. Our old pop up with the SUV loaded with cooler and such would sit way too low. One of the reasons I put new shocks on too.

Thanks for the advice and chiming in.

Excited for trip and feel much better now that this fire was put out before it could happen.

A BIG Thank you to everyone that has chimed in! Very very much appreciated!

:applause:
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby mtbikernate » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 pm

I had a similar scenario when I got my teardrop last spring. I bought a teardrop from a small manufacturer built to order.

I got trailer brakes on it, even though the trailer is built to weigh less than 2k lbs loaded, because my primary tow vehicle is a subaru xv crosstrek, at least for now.

The builder recommended an installer (at a uhaul facility) that he has had positive experience with. I had a hitch and 4 flat already, but wanted a brake controller and 7 pin connector.

I called ahead to make sure he had time, and brought my car in. He gave me the same bs line about "if you are towing somwthing big enough to need trailer brakes, you should not be pulling it with this car."

Except the trailer and its load falls eithin acceptable margins and I just want the trailer brakes for safety factor. He was not okay with this, and also seemed put off that he would have to run and splice all the wires. I think that was the major reason. Anyway, I could not get the brake controller done for my first trip (from Indianapolis, IN to Sedona, AZ) and just haven't bothered yet. The trailer builder put a 4 flat connector on for me, so I have both. I have pulled the trailer all over and it has been fine, but I still intend to do get the brake controller installed, and I like some of the recommendations here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 pm

mtbikernate wrote:I had a similar scenario when I got my teardrop last spring. I bought a teardrop from a small manufacturer built to order.

I got trailer brakes on it, even though the trailer is built to weigh less than 2k lbs loaded, because my primary tow vehicle is a subaru xv crosstrek, at least for now.

The builder recommended an installer (at a uhaul facility) that he has had positive experience with. I had a hitch and 4 flat already, but wanted a brake controller and 7 pin connector.

I called ahead to make sure he had time, and brought my car in. He gave me the same bs line about "if you are towing somwthing big enough to need trailer brakes, you should not be pulling it with this car."

Except the trailer and its load falls eithin acceptable margins and I just want the trailer brakes for safety factor. He was not okay with this, and also seemed put off that he would have to run and splice all the wires. I think that was the major reason. Anyway, I could not get the brake controller done for my first trip (from Indianapolis, IN to Sedona, AZ) and just haven't bothered yet. The trailer builder put a 4 flat connector on for me, so I have both. I have pulled the trailer all over and it has been fine, but I still intend to do get the brake controller installed, and I like some of the recommendations here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is really not that hard to do yourself. I am sure there are some videos with your vehicle on YouTube. Etrailer is incredible too. The kit I got was everything I needed.

And if I can do this install... well anyone can. Now all I have to do is figure out how to install a back up camera. :lol:

Thanks for chiming in.

:D
Mr Bo

MrBo
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles