Toyota Tacoma

All about towing and tow vehicles

Toyota Tacoma

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:07 pm

We're thinking of calling our new, soon to be built, teardrop "Jaws" because, after calculating the estimated weight, I turned to Shelly and said, "we're going to need a bigger truck!"

We're now thinking a Tacoma Crewcab TRD Offroad 4x4 may best meet our needs. Evidently, the maintenance troubles vary widely by year, and the statistics suggest we should stay away from 2016, so we're looking at 2017's or 18's. I read through the thread here about which tow vehicle people use, and the Tacoma owners seem happy.

Any advice, opinions, comments, things we should look for, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

We are currently planning on a 1600 (ish) lb teardrop and want to take it across country, as well as mild off-roading. Looked like we were approaching the limits of the jeep Wrangler (particularly GCWR), and I'd rather have plenty of margin, for longevity, handling, and safety.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Toyota Tacoma

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:52 pm

We really like ours.

I've been driving Tacomas for well over twenty years. Don't be concerned about whether it's a 2016, '17, or '18. Those are all third generation Tacos. Same parts. What will get your attention is the high cost of a used Tacoma. I believe they hold their value better than any other vehicle.

I've got 25,000 on my '16. No issues. Hopefully, it's as bulletproof as my 1st and 2nd gen Tacos.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:11 pm

I would suggest signing up at https://www.tacomaworld.com/
It's free
Lots of nice modifications that are simple and low cost
You need to check out the "third gen" area and the towing bible
Saved us a lot of headaches with our 2015.

First thing I would buy is a "Scanguage II" it allows you to monitor the transmission temp among other useful data.

And yes we love our double cab short bed
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Just got a 2015 DCLB (double-cab long-bed).

For a year I researched, finally settled on looking for a DCLB, put a topper and rack on it, in Gray. Late last year, driving by the local BMW dealer, in their used car lot they have a DCLB, WITH the topper, WITH the rack, in WHITE. Geesh... My wife ever so astutely pointed out 1) it's already done, no topper/rack shopping or installation, and 2) color doesn't have much to do with function.
Smart woman, dangit. :lol:

This one has the 4.0 liter V6, which on this drive train doesn't get great gas mileage. I haven't taken it on a long drive yet, but I'm thinking I'll get about 18, maybe 19mpg. Thing about the 2015s is they are the last year of the 2nd generation, which represents the culmination of a lot of lessons-learned on a mature design for Toyota, including the frame replacement debacle. I'm not counting on a lot of problems with it. Oh, and such will pull just about anything we discuss here.

Thing is, and I hesitate a bit to disclose this rumination here, I'm looking more at the topper on the long bed as my camping shelter. Don't have to tow it, or register/insure it separately, and it easily converts into the landscape rock hauler to support my wife's hobby. I'm still eventually going to build out the trailer camper, but for now this will probably be my fishing shelter. Here's a picture of the tratorious artifact:
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:35 pm

tony.latham wrote:I've been driving Tacomas for well over twenty years. Don't be concerned about whether it's a 2016, '17, or '18. Those are all third generation Tacos. Same parts. What will get your attention is the high cost of a used Tacoma. I believe they hold their value better than any other vehicle.

Tony

Thanks yet again Tony! We did notice they hold their value. I tend to keep good vehicles a long time, so hopefully we'll get our money's worth.

BTW, love your canoe.

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:I would suggest signing up at https://www.tacomaworld.com/
It's free
Lots of nice modifications that are simple and low cost
You need to check out the "third gen" area and the towing bible
Saved us a lot of headaches with our 2015.

First thing I would buy is a "Scanguage II" it allows you to monitor the transmission temp among other useful data.

And yes we love our double cab short bed

Good link--thank you!

We have a Warn winch/air compressor on one of our Jeeps right now, and we'll probably want to figure out how to mount it on the Tacoma, so we'll look for other's who have done it.

We'll check out the Scanguage II.

Thanks again Bill and Robi!

Tom
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Glenn Butcher wrote:Just got a 2015 DCLB (double-cab long-bed).

For a year I researched, finally settled on looking for a DCLB, put a topper and rack on it, in Gray. Late last year, driving by the local BMW dealer, in their used car lot they have a DCLB, WITH the topper, WITH the rack, in WHITE. Geesh... My wife ever so astutely pointed out 1) it's already done, no topper/rack shopping or installation, and 2) color doesn't have much to do with function.
Smart woman, dangit. :lol:

This one has the 4.0 liter V6, which on this drive train doesn't get great gas mileage. I haven't taken it on a long drive yet, but I'm thinking I'll get about 18, maybe 19mpg. Thing about the 2015s is they are the last year of the 2nd generation, which represents the culmination of a lot of lessons-learned on a mature design for Toyota, including the frame replacement debacle. I'm not counting on a lot of problems with it. Oh, and such will pull just about anything we discuss here.

Thing is, and I hesitate a bit to disclose this rumination here, I'm looking more at the topper on the long bed as my camping shelter. Don't have to tow it, or register/insure it separately, and it easily converts into the landscape rock hauler to support my wife's hobby. I'm still eventually going to build out the trailer camper, but for now this will probably be my fishing shelter. Here's a picture of the tratorious artifact:

Hi Glenn,

We haven't yet decided on the cab or bed size. We want something with a reasonably short turning radius. Shelly's doing the research--she's the the car person in our family.

19 mpg is actually not much worse than our Wranglers get.

We thought about some sort of camper on the back of a pickup, but our style of camping (currently tent camping) is to find an area with a lot around it. After we set up camp, we spend the vacation driving to the things we want to see. Rather not take our camp with us. :)

Thank you for the comments!

Tom
Tom&Shelly

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
We haven't yet decided on the cab or bed size. We want something with a reasonably short turning radius. Shelly's doing the research--she's the the car person in our family.

The double-cab long-bed is definitely long-turning-radius. I usually park in the boonies rather than maneuver around tight parking places. Thing is, if you have any notion of sleeping in the back, the 5' short bed is too short. My son has an access cab with the long bed, that turns like our Highlander, nice and tight.
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles