2020 Rav4 Hybrid

All about towing and tow vehicles

2020 Rav4 Hybrid

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Just when this whole COVID19 pandemic started. we bought a new 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid. The car I bought wasn't equipped with the tow receiver or wiring so I ordered the receiver and wiring harness at the time of purchase. Due to the shutdown, it took a longer time than normal for the receiver to arrive but it did arrive last week and the dealer installed. Today was the first opportunity to test out the new hybrid with the teardrop in tow. I am happy to report that the combination works splendidly. The Rav4 has more power than the 2010 Subaru Forester that we have been towing the trailer with for the last 10 years. I only pulled the trailer around our hilly neighborhood for about 20 minutes to get the feel for how the thing was going to work on hills. I haven't driven enough to know anything on changes in the fuel mileage. The car gets 40 mpg without the trailer. Image
Nor Cal Mike
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 2020 Rav4 Hybrid

Postby eLink » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Looks good! I was seriously considering the new Rav4 hybrid, but I was disappointed to find that I simply don't fit in them. Not enough headroom.
eLink
Teardrop Master

Re: 2020 Rav4 Hybrid

Postby Bombadil » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:29 am

Hi Mike,
I am hoping to build a teardrop and I have a 2019 Rav4, similar to your car. Mine is front wheel drive and gas powered. I have some questions about your trailer and TV.

Do you have brakes? Do you recommend them?
How much does your trailer weigh?
How long is the tongue on your trailer? Would you change the length?
How much does the gas mileage change when you tow?

Not sure what else I should ask, so feel free to add anything useful.
Thanks, Jim
Bombadil
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles