Moving cross country right now

All about towing and tow vehicles

Moving cross country right now

Postby dsotto » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 am

Hi there! It's been awhile.
We are moving from Texas to Idaho right now and haven't used our trailer in a year and a half. We have the 'high speed' wheels and have locked in at 60 mph.

We tried to regrease the bearing but the northern tool 4x8 trailer didn't look like any of the videos so we pried the cap off and tried to push as much of the grease in there and it basically just got everywhere.

We went 10 miles and stopped and checked with a temp gun and the left was 75F and the right was 85F
Is that too much of a difference?
We are a bit on the heavy side since we had to pack more stuff on the TD than we would have liked and are sitting around 900lbs out of our 1000lb towing capacity on our jeep.

Should we go a bit slower or does 5 mph not make much of a difference? We have 1500 miles to go and plan on stopping every 3 hours for 15 minutes to give it a break.

Any advice is welcome. We don't want to die, haha!

Thanks!
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Moving cross country right now

Postby swoody126 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 am

pictures would help

here are 2 pics of the parts in a trailer hub

3d3e8a75e4c1bb6aa33ac2e167122e3b.jpg
3d3e8a75e4c1bb6aa33ac2e167122e3b.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 2751 times

race.gif
race.gif (23.18 KiB) Viewed 2751 times

yours should look like one of them

if you don't have the tools to remove and pack the bearings take the trailer to a reputable mechanic to have it done

if you don't you will worry yourself silly on the entire trip

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:18 am

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about 5 degrees temperature difference. That can easily be explained by the sun shining on one side. I drove semis for 25 years. If a hub is cool enough to keep your hand on it for ten seconds or so after driving for an hour there is really nothing to worry about. Stopping regularly is a good plan. Check the temperature at every stop. If something gets "too hot to handle" use those images swoody provided and do a roadside rebuild. Better yet, stop at a hardware store and get a set of Bearing Buddies. They are a replacement dust cap with a zerk fitting so you can add grease to your bearings using a grease gun and not make a huge mess.

-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:43 pm

dsotto wrote:Hi there! It's been awhile.
We are moving from Texas to Idaho right now and haven't used our trailer in a year and a half. We have the 'high speed' wheels and have locked in at 60 mph.

We tried to regrease the bearing but the northern tool 4x8 trailer didn't look like any of the videos so we pried the cap off and tried to push as much of the grease in there and it basically just got everywhere.

We went 10 miles and stopped and checked with a temp gun and the left was 75F and the right was 85F
Is that too much of a difference?
We are a bit on the heavy side since we had to pack more stuff on the TD than we would have liked and are sitting around 900lbs out of our 1000lb towing capacity on our jeep.

Should we go a bit slower or does 5 mph not make much of a difference? We have 1500 miles to go and plan on stopping every 3 hours for 15 minutes to give it a break.

Any advice is welcome. We don't want to die, haha!

Thanks!
Feel the fender or another metal surface and then feel the bearings. If they feel about the same then you are fine. If the fender is cool, but the bearing is hot, then worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:18 am

Shinola wrote:In my experience, a 10°F difference between wheel temperatures isn't too concerning, especially with the precautions you're taking. Regular checks every few hours are a smart move to ensure everything is running smoothly.

Hi Shinola,

What is your experience? Apologies if you are a real person and really do have experience with towing trailers. We've had spammers come on and give advice generated by AI systems that have been dangerously wrong. Since this is your first post, and the thread has been essentially closed for about 3 years, you fit the MO of that latter category. Also, your advice has already been presented by folks we're more-or-less certain are humans.

An AI bot hasn't been killed yet by bad advice about towing a trailer or wiring a shore power circuit. Humans, unfortunately, not so much. And we humans are a funny species. Unless we're busy killing each other during war or such, we're amazingly protective of our fellow humans.

Again, apologies if you are one of us. To be blunt, I doubt it, but reply and I'll apologize and we can get a new start. :stompspam:

Tom (human--I can get a note from my wife to prove it if necessary)
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:36 pm

Shinola wrote:The temperature difference between the bearings isn't anything to freak out about, but it's worth keeping tabs on. Taking it easy on the speed could definitely make a difference, especially with the weight you're pulling.

Why can't bots answer questions?

:stompspam:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:35 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Shinola wrote:The temperature difference between the bearings isn't anything to freak out about, but it's worth keeping tabs on. Taking it easy on the speed could definitely make a difference, especially with the weight you're pulling.

Why can't bots answer questions?

:stompspam:

Tony

REPLY HAZY TRY AGAIN

Anyone remember the Magic Eight Ball? The original AI.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby rjgimp » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:11 am

Really curious that "Shinola" appears to have joined nearly 10 years ago but didn't post a single thing until... yesterday, and then three equally ridiculous and generic posts.
:thinking:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Nanny54 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:14 am

When I moved from California to Oregon, dealing with the logistics of a long-distance move was overwhelming, especially concerning the transport of my belongings. The temperature difference you're noticing between the wheels is something I encountered as well. In my case, a 10°F difference didn’t lead to any problems, thanks to regular monitoring and taking breaks to let everything cool down.
Nanny54
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 am

Nancy54 is another bot, posting nonsense and occasionally links to irrelevant products. Several have been reported and I wish the moderators would take it down.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles