My design attempt

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

My design attempt

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:27 pm

Well, I still don't know what I want to build. I was dinking around and came up with this. It is 3.5 feet tall, and 7 feet long. It is going to be used by generally one person only (me). There will be no galley, as I want this to be as light as possible. It will be fitting on a Harbor Freight 3.5 X 4 foot trailer. It will be slightly less than 4 feet wide.

My biggest question is, can 1/8 panelling be wrapped around the lower rear curve without splitting, or is the bend too tight?

I really like the teardrop shape, the more that I look at it.
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Hey RC
ECV, eh? I'd put some sort of barbeque or something to cook with and take it to "Functions"
Are you gonna put the Whahoo Man in there too?

Postby Arne » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:59 pm

I used a 2.5 ft. radius on the front of mine, and the 1/8" fought me all the way....... it might go if you wet it, use ropes and boards (under the ropes, across the ply) and put a cleat across the bottom (temp till the blue dries and the ply finally gives in to its new shape)...

If you look in my album, I think it shows the cleat across the bottom of my front bottom edge.

After using an air gun to brad the front (while the piece stuck out in the air), I used sheet rock screws and put a cleat across the bottom, right through the ply, to keep it from popping off while I used the ropes (and my bro) to pull the piece down... and it wasn't easy.... use lots of glue.

On the back, which is flat from the bottom up 15" I put a cleat across at about the 1 foot point to keep the bottom from popping off.....

Yours will be time consuming, require planning, and I'm glad it's you and not me.../g/
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:03 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Hey RC
ECV, eh? I'd put some sort of barbeque or something to cook with and take it to "Functions"

I don't think I need to cook, because all the doin's I go to are pretty well catered (although a good cup of coffee the morning after is always nice). About the only thing I would bring is a washing machine tub fire pit.
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:09 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Hey RC

How about this instead?
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:15 pm

arnereil wrote: Yours will be time consuming, require planning, and I'm glad it's you and not me.../g/

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I either need to reconsider the shape, or come up with something besides plywood to use for the skinning.

I will be painting the entire thing, so UV protection will not be a consideration. Any suggestions for an alternative to 1/8 plywood?
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:38 pm

RC,
I like the Wahoo Man better... much better.

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:47 pm

Actually Dean, I was thinking of putting the bucking jackass on the back end of it.
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:04 pm

Ahh Yes...
The Hewgag! That will look pretty good.

Postby Arne » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:42 pm

There is a pic of my tear in my album... the front bend was tedious to do.... anything tighter would require some thinking.

The pic now has the door installed... and there is a pic of the interior.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:13 pm

Arne,
That's lookin' great!!
Please slow down the pace, you're making us slowpokes look really bad! :D
(Just Kiddin')

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:14 pm

arnereil wrote:There is a pic of my tear in my album... the front bend was tedious to do.... anything tighter would require some thinking.

The pic now has the door installed... and there is a pic of the interior.

Wow!!! That looks like a lot easier bend than what I am trying to do. Maybe I need to reconsider the size and shape of my teardrop.

BUMMER
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:39 pm

Dean, I'm on a mission..!

--------------------------------------------------

re the bend. On a narrow piece (one piece was full width, 48", the other was 15" (total trailer width is 63")). The 15" was pretty easy, but the full width took a lot of effort, as mentioned using ropes over the top and 2x4's across... without the boards, there was a good chance the ply would have broken.

I think the bend you want is possible, but soak it first and do it gradually.... And you will definitely need a cleat across the bottom while building. You will either pull your fasteners out or you will wind up with ridges across the bottom unless you put a screw every 1-1/2 inches.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby RC » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:09 pm

Thanks Arne,
Any thoughts on using something other than 1/8 plywood?
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:24 pm

Other than metal, no. ... I used 1/8 because 1/4 wouldn't make the bend (I assumed), so I doubled up the 1/8..

I still think you could probably do it if you finessed the 1/8.

apply the 1/8 at the bottom, but a cleat across and screw right through the ply. Wet the ply, let it sit... put 2 ropes from the axle, around the ply over the roof to the front. Put a couple of 2x4's across the ply and start to pull it into place. You can go as far as you can, then let it sit over night or at least a couple of hours, and rewet and keep pulling. I think it would work, but it isn't a 1/2 hour job. I"ll bet it will take you a day, unless you are lucky..... this is uncharted waters for me, but I still think you can pull it off, but the key word is.......... patience.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Traditional Designs