The AeroFoil or the SlipStream AKA the Morphing Minibago

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

The AeroFoil or the SlipStream AKA the Morphing Minibago

Postby GregB » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:45 pm

I can't help myself. I've been worrying over this design for ages since I realized that the MiniBago bears a disturbing resemblance to a green and white garbage truck that I played with as a kid. Also, I REALLY like the teardrop shape and wanted my design to conform, but also be unique. Blah, blah, anyway, I've redesigned the MiniBago, but am I out in left field? You be the judge.

MiniBago

The AeroFoil or the SlipStream

The dimensions of 63" x 120" for the main box and 36"x18" for the front trunk and the interior design stay the same, but everything else is radically different. The renderings are still rough, but what do you think of the new design?

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Looks nice! It's like you took sandpaper to the original design and smoothed it out.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:06 pm

:applause: :applause:

We like it alot..... Good lines. The round window up front really sets it off.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Ok, Ok, Ok!

I like the new shape. It's a unique take on the original teardrop shape. Stillllll, I really think that the MiniBago is THE most unique profile in the weekender/grasshopper/sunfish/or whatever we name the non-tears. I admit to being jaded because I'm building an angular trailer, but the MiniBago rocks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby chezrad » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:01 pm

I liked the original better! :roll:
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:56 pm

I really like the uniqueness of the original but always thought the kick out added complexity and wasted space vesus materials used...the new profile addresses those concerns and looks very cool to boot...I don't know how that loooooong slope is gonna affect galley space/usage...does the hatch stop at the breakover point or come all the way down (or is nonexistent)......
madjack 8)

p.s. Joanne...your prejudice is showing :lol: ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:01 pm

I still like the original too...

Your new profile isn't bad though... you don't need to come down so far in the back. 15 degrees from the top curve is all you need. After that you create turbulence when the airflow breaks away from the body. (Andrew taught me that!) :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:03 pm

I like it. That would be very unique.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Joanne » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:50 pm

Me??? :lips:

Joanne

madjack wrote:

p.s. Joanne...your prejudice is showing :lol: ;)
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby GregB » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:40 am

Wow, I am kind of surprised! Thank you all for the input. The MiniBago always struck me as kind of a clunky design, not very clean. Joanne, you are hereby dubbed the Queen of Angular Trailers. I beg forgiveness, your Grace, for abandoning the TT fold for the shiny roundness of Teardropdom. It's the Fish Inn and Rocky's designs that lured me to the dark side, those are two slick trailers.

Mike, I realize that the curve comes down really too far in the back (I think it looks, dare I say, sexy!?). If I stop the curve at 15 degrees from top, I'll end with a bobtail rear end and I'm not sure if anybody wants to see that!

I wanted the curve to come to the top of the countertop where the hatch will end and undercounter storage will be handled with hatch access from the back. Madjack, your comments about the front kick-out echo my concerns about that design. I think the new design will be easier to build. The cutback under the rear counter allows me to stand at the counter without rapping my knees against the lower storage area.

Because I am as weird as I am, uniqueness of design was and is still important to me, which is why I like this look. It looks familiar to, but not the same as, a classic teardrop. I think I'll dub her "Streamliner". Wife has said we are not covering in aluminum :( . Oh, and to hijack my own thread. I finally got a new tow vehicle last night, a Durango that can tow 8700 pounds. Overbuild, shmoverbuild, she's gonna be built to last! Thanks everyone again for the input, I'm actually about to start makin' sawdust in a couple of weeks.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Personally I like both of them for differnt reason. But I am going to sing my basic song... Build it the way you like it.

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Return to Traditional Designs