A 511 2+1 TD concept

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

A 511 2+1 TD concept

Postby BoilermakerFan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:18 pm

I'm working on a conceptual design for a TD. I really can't call this my design, I have been too heavily influenced and supported by Cary at Camp-Inn and Andrew's 2+2 and Compact2 designs.

I love the Camp-Inn 550 Ultra's styled lines and many of the integrated options Cary and his crew offer.

We have a daughter in Kindergarden and it is just not comfortable when she tries to sleep with us in our Queen size bed at home. She is too young to be in a tent by herself, so I need a bunk for her until she is old enough to want to sleep in her own tent. This leads me to Andrew's 2+2 design. That is a pretty large trailer at 12' long and 6' wide. The 2+2 needs a bit more height for both beds. I also don't need the full width of his +2 bunk.

So...

I need a Camp-Inn 650 Ultra with the Child Bunk option! Unfortunately this model doesn't exist... yet, right Cary?

My concept is for a 5' wide x 11' long x 4' to 5' high 2+1 TD. The traditional curved TD roof will incorporate Andrew's folding roof concept from the Compact 2. Andrew's sides are fully hinged, mine will be on two lift and lock pivots at the ends. Think of the retractable bed rails for toddlers beds. This will allow me to keep the clean, traditional lines of a TD, but allow us the headroom we need for the childs bunk lengthwise across our legs.

I'm planning to incorporate A/C and my quest for a keg tap! We'll have a "car" stereo inside that will be able to play CDs/DVDs/and XM Satallite Radio. Most of the lighting will be LED based 12V, but I will have a Shore connection for a few 120VAC lights, the A/C and 120VAC recepticles. I trying to incorporate a few other ideas in the design as well, but I'm not ready to post those yet since I don't have the details worked out.

The final big design issue/quest is weight. My goal is to get this TD to weigh in under 1350lbs fully loaded with a TW of 135lbs so it can be easily towed buy or VW Jetta V6. CF composite and hardwood veneers will have to be utilized throughout, but hidden from view so I will have a traditional looking TD.

What does everyone think?
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby BoilermakerFan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:41 pm

:shock:

45 views and no comments?

Not even from Cary? I know he was probably offline when I posted it and won't be back online until this evening.
Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:46 pm

I think we're all waiting, in anticipation of a picture... since you now know IronCAD, we naturally expect to see a fully rendered, animated picture describing what you are going to build!!! :wink:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BoilermakerFan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:11 pm

Mike

You don't have it done already? Ahhh, man...

The elevating roof is going to be very difficult. The difficult part is keeping the lines intact and clean. If I decide to settle for a 6" high humped roof 6" from either side then I can probably make it work.

Work has been keeping me busy. Customers are rushing to spend their capital budgets and receive the equipment before the end of the year. Of course, everyone shops the pricing for the best deal so I was busy revising quotes last night until 11:00pm.

Posted my concept and went to bed.
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby Cary Winch » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:48 pm

Brian,

The idea you have (2+1) was also kind-of sketched up recently here at the shop by one of our guys (it was close at least). We dug that sketch out and pondered it a bunch today. Maybe that is the way we should be going? It was pretty positive feedback from everyone here. Who knows, stayed tuned.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby BoilermakerFan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:49 pm

I would love to see a 2+1 from Camp-Inn. I've given you all of the options I would like to see in my other emails, but I definitely think there is a lot of interest in a 2+1.

Seems a lot of peeps want a 5'x10' TD. I'm designing an 11' long one to have more "headroom" in the upper bunk area. Even a 54" height would be better than just 48".
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

kids bunk

Postby easterngray » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:02 am

I too have a child in kindergarten, and decided to put a bunk above the bed/dinette ala the Shasta compact models - a canvas bunk that is removable and stows when not in use. In order to give my wee-one some head room, I incorporated a faux-dormer, and maintain the traditional curved lines in the paint job only - here's what I mean:

Cheers! Alec
easterngray
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Brad » Mon May 02, 2005 11:17 am

Here's a link to see the loft for my 6 yo son in our teardrop.
The headroom is a little cramped, but he has no trouble sleepeing there,
he just has to watch his head getting in and out.

http://users.adelphia.net/~bpjacobs1/br ... mage4.html
Brad
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BoilermakerFan » Mon May 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Looks good. Man, I haven't been here in a long time. I've been side-tracked by a few other home projects.

My wife is also 17weeks along with baby number two, so I have to change my design criteria anyways!

I don't think we would take an infant camping anyways, so I have some time to get it designed...
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Return to Traditional Designs