Raven Argonette

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Raven Argonette

Postby angib » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:16 pm

A few guys here seem to have a fascination with this tiny trailer, so you might want to download a pdf drawing of this design which I've just done for another purpose:

Raven Argonette

No guarantees of how long this remains available - get it while it's hot!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:47 pm

Andrew,

I like it! Looks pretty cool, all except you put the door on the wrong side! :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:56 pm

Andrew,
Thank you!!!
So...
It appears the Raven is not as wide as the Midget. What would be the main differences in the two?
Raven: http://www.trikes.freeserve.co.uk/irom/page8.htm

What do you think either trailer have going for them over the other? (They look so very much the same to me)

Bev
Last edited by beverlyt on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:07 pm

The Raven is definitely an indoor trailer, while the midget has the galley in the back. The raven definitely has small beds!!! The raven has the wheels more centrally located which keeps the tongue weight light.

Still toying with the ideas Bev? Let me ask you some basic questions...

1) Do you want to be able to stand in it?
2) Do you want to cook in the trailer, or in the outdoor galley?
3) What size bed do you want?

The answers to those 3 questions will get you started in the right direction!!! ;)

Mike...

P.S. I am starting to toy with the idea of an ultra light weight T@B... maybe I should build an OSB mockup???
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:14 pm

Mike,
Well, we've narrowed our next build down to a Midget...WITHOUT a hatch. Everything, including stove will be inside.
The Raven might have some ideas too.

1. Stand in it? No...don't care that much as long as we can crouch..sort of like gorillas. (and we're short...which helps)
2. Cooking will definitely be done inside. This will be our "I'm not freezing my butt outside this morning to brew the coffee trailer"
3.Size bed. 5' would be good. Even in the Raven, at least you have room in the middle to throw a leg over the edge for the "feel" of more space. Sometimes the trailer I have now reminds me of that old country song, "Hello Walls".
Couldn't you add a sliding board that slides out across the middle and forms a bigger bed?

P.S. Mock-ups are good! (My Midget is only in the "mocking me" stage) :(
Bev
Last edited by beverlyt on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:23 pm

If I decide to build a mockup I'll let you know. You'll have to drive over so you can check it out.

You could build a cardboard mockup, or even a tiny model. All it takes is a pair of scissors, some cardboard, and some glue. Your Midget wouldn't be mocking you for much longer!!!

Mike...

P.S. to do the Midget right, you should make it 6' wide. How wide are you planning?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:28 pm

Mike,
Yep, 6 foot. No skimping on the width on this one!!
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:40 pm

Way to go!!! With 6' you'll have enough room for a queen sized bed, and cabinets on the side!!!

I may start toying around in my CAD program this week... I may also build a mockup this week. Gee, so much time I don't know which to do first!!! :?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:58 pm

Now you know that the Midget Trailer, as built in 1940, did not have a table, per se.

But with a little imagination you could probably design one...

And if you really want to get brave, you could even design in a bathroom!!!

Mike...

P.S. There's even room in this one for a 42" Plasma Wide Screen TV :lol:

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:27 pm

HAPPY HAPPY!!! Has the dinette and bathroom I want and the Midget look that Bob wants.

My notebook of "future Midget/Raven build" is growing by the day!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Just so you know, I had to take some liberties with the size of the Midget Trailer to get the dinette and bathroom in there.

But since you don't need a galley, we can chop 2 feet off the back. And since you don't want to stand in it, we could probably knock a foot off the top.

Here's a rough view of how much larger I made it...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:33 am

Mike,
No, that's not going to work then. I don't want to make it bigger than the original... at least, not by much. No longer than 10 ft. And I don't want to lose any of the shape. Why make it shorter in height?... the original Midget isn't all that tall inside to begin with? One still needs to have some room to cook?
Also, though I won't have a galley outside, I still need to an area for the coleman stove, cooler, WATER, etc. I still want/need a kitchen (did I just say that???my least favorite place to be in the house)

Couple of notes:
If I put the kitchen gear in the front, that would probably make the trailer very heavy on the tongue? Andrew sent me a plan I really like, with most of the galley up front, we've discussed the weight issue/axle position a little...Andrew, could we flip-flop the inside galley to the back? Possible?

The Raven with the two beds would be a good idea for camping purposes with friends, grandchilden, etc..... when one isn't camping with their spouses/companions.

The original midget settee would be ok for sitting, or sitting on one of the beds in the Raven?
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby angib » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:00 am

This is going to get complicated as I've been communicating with Bev off list and I'm gonna get confused about what's been said where.....

So here is the first version of the Widget (Winter Midget, geddit?) for Bev:

Widget

Swapping the galley front to back doesn't really solve any balance problems - there has to be space for the door between the galley and the wheelarches and that is the same problem whether it's in front of or behind the axle. You also need to remember that the internal galley won't be as heavy as an external one as the body curves in at the bottom and so there's less space inside the cupboards - less space equals less weight.

Mike's design is nice, though hasn't anyone else noticed the problem:
You need to have very long legs to use the 'throne', or else you need to carry a footstool (just like our Queen does when using her Throne...).

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:11 am

SteveH wrote:Looks pretty cool, all except you put the door on the wrong side!

I have to admit it is true - the opposite of the 'wrong' side is the 'right' side.

Andrew

PS I personally prefer 'your' way of driving, because you get to change gear with your right hand, which is easier for us right-handers (north paws?).

PPS Is driving on the right another example of how America and France always like to do the same as each other?

PPPS I was going to try to also squeeze in an insulting reference to cheese-eating to the above, but couldn't work it out......
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 am

Andrew,
I'm very sorry. I confuse even myself.

Well, it looks like the Widget is the best plan for me. Galley stays in the front...maybe put the water and battery in the back.

I still like the idea of two beds. With a 6' wide trailer, I could fit two pretty fat beds in there with a board on rails to put in the middle for one big bed at times.

But then I'd give up my dinette/settee area. :roll:

Widget will it be....

Bev
(Widget.....I really like that name...I'd have to have it painted on the trailer somewhere)
beverlyt
500 Club

Next

Return to Traditional Designs