Eriba Puck

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby AZSpyder » Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks for the tip Aunti M.

I really haven't messed with specific types of wood before. It has been an education. I have looked into Birch Ply, Baltic Birch (I started out thinking this must be from the Baltic region), Finnish Birch and Russian Birch. Now there is bendy Birch!. I hadn't seen it before but it sure looks interesting. If I can find it local I may give it a try. If not I was going to try a hot water bend of 1/8 inch Birch ply. I have never tried that procedure before so I thought it might be interesting. I do get in more trouble that way. Without the floor in I think I can get a good clamp on the side rails and good access to mess with it. If it doesn't work for me I'll need some material to re skin most of the cabinets anyway.

There is something cute about the thing and I don't even normally use that term on something with wheels. Here is another picture showing the thing end to end, and Clyde again. That odd mix of a dog sure likes spending time with me when working outside. I also recently noticed he seems to be posing when I get the camera. I don't really expect he knows what the camera is but I don't place him in the shot.

As far as the layout these cabinets are just placed in position. There is another seat across the back connecting the two bench seats. You can see in the different shades on the side of the tall cabinet where the other cabinets and counter top across the front fit up to it. The top of the tall cabinet is about 5 foot off the deck. That's actually tall enough for a standie for my wife. There is another 12-14 inch for the popup section on the roof.

Jerry

AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Thu May 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Another Puck owner!! I imported a 1975 Puck from Belgium in 2006. It is in great shape and the only change I HAD to make was rewiring for 120v. The other changes were cosmetic. New upholstry, curtains etc.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby dsmith » Thu May 14, 2009 2:56 pm

I would caution you against the hot water or steam bend on your plywood, unless it is a marine grade. Hot water or steam has the nasty habit of softening the glue that is used to bond the veneers, causing delamination. :cry:
;) Cutting a relief Kerf up to 2/3 of the way through the plywood and gentle pressure is time consuming, but less aggrievating in the long run. :x
As to the spacing of the cuts that would depend on the radius you want to conform to.
dsmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Thu May 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Check out this website on a Puck restoration.

http://www.lbin.com/puck/1969/restore2.html
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Puck Parts

Postby AZSpyder » Thu May 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I have most of the replacement rubber sorted out. One good place is:
http://www.alt-eriba-register.de/

There is also a link to the same site below but additionally a link to the parts page translated to English.
http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/id354.htm

The prices are in Euros so the price in dollars depends on the exchange rate of the day. I don’t think the parts pricing is too bad but shipping cost get rough. The three fixed window seals really drove the shipping cost up. I’m looking for an alternate source in the states. Shipping wasn’t too bad on the remainder.

Another place is:
http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
The only pieces I could match are the fixed window seals and cover strips for the screw strips. They charge more for the cover strips then the Eriba Register and shipping is still high on the window seals. Their price has to be converted from pounds.

If anyone knows of anything I am still looking into somewhere in the US for the fixed window seals. I need ones that install a single pane of glass into a frame that is 1 inch wide. I found someone that has 7/8 wide. With an original cloth wall upholstery I think that could work. Originally there is a 1/8 in plywood spacer on the inside edge of the window. A 7/8 seal should work with that spacer removed. One of the mods I want to do is replace that spacer with 1/8 Burch plywood walls so I’m still looking for an original wide window seal.

I do need to replace the canvas on the pop up section. There is someone in England selling replacements through Ebay. I figure about $250 delivered.

All my hardware seems usable so I haven’t had to find replacements. If I stumble across anything I’ll add that information for reference. So far rubber and canvas is all I need that I can’t find local. If anyone else knows of something please post or drop me a line. If this eventually comes together as something useful I have a personal web page documenting some non camper rebuilds I have done and may also add the Puck there.

I have enjoyed lurking and reading up on the Teardrops. Now having ended up with the Puck that seems to fit into the TTT category but not a lot of information here I thought I would start a thread. There seems to be some interest and it gives me a way to contribute to the group.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby AZSpyder » Thu May 14, 2009 4:35 pm

dsmith wrote:I would caution you against the hot water or steam bend on your plywood, unless it is a marine grade. Hot water or steam has the nasty habit of softening the glue that is used to bond the veneers, causing delamination. :cry:
;) Cutting a relief Kerf up to 2/3 of the way through the plywood and gentle pressure is time consuming, but less aggrievating in the long run. :x
As to the spacing of the cuts that would depend on the radius you want to conform to.

I talked to someone that worked where I found some good wood. I am conserned about the answer when I asked about the type of glue. It was just something about most plywood uses water proof glue these days. I may try one bend and see what happens.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 14, 2009 5:01 pm

:o I was missin for a few days. You shouldn't need water to bend most 1/8" Baltic Birch. It bends really well. Just make sure you don't have football plugs in what you buy. And be very sure not to get on on the bend.... 8) Just be gentle. You could use a strap to nudge it over a period of time if needed. :thumbsup: use bendy for the thicker stuff.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby haul-all-day-rambler » Fri May 29, 2009 8:49 pm

THAT looks fun!
jump right in or the end begins...
haul-all-day-rambler
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 am

When I got my Puck, it was missing the trim piece at the bottom of the poptop, leaving a gap. I installed a VW seal. At the front, the gap is narrow and it is really hard to compress that seal to latch the top. I'd like to remove 1/4- 1/2 inch of the fiberglass. What's best to use? A rasp? A Dremel?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby AZSpyder » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 pm

rebapuck wrote:When I got my Puck, it was missing the trim piece at the bottom of the poptop, leaving a gap. I installed a VW seal. At the front, the gap is narrow and it is really hard to compress that seal to latch the top. I'd like to remove 1/4- 1/2 inch of the fiberglass. What's best to use? A rasp? A Dremel?

Judy

You could try a jig saw. I haven't tried it there but it should do the job. Maybe put some tape on the part to minimize scratching. It would be easier to control if you remove it. I'm not sure just how hard that may be since mine was already off when I got it. You could also find rusted screws that could turn it into a bunch of trouble.

I just finished rebuilding mine. It was in very bad shape from the sun with a bunch of the edge completely missing. After building it back up I used a 4 1/2" handheld angle grinder with a cut off disk. That cuts the glass very easy but makes a bunch of fiberglass dust and is very dangerous if not in a easy to control position. I also touched the edge up with a small sanding disk in a drill. If you are just removing a bit the sanding disk may work for you. The dust is trouble, both breathing and just itching for a couple of days. Whatever you do cover up and protect yourself as much as you can. I worked mine for about a month. I'm not very good at it. I used the build it up and grind it off method until I got it where I wanted it. Man I hate fiberglass dust!

I am interested in if you have any information on the seal you used. I don't have one picked out for that area yet. I had even been wondering if any of the VW camper seals happened to fit anywhere on the Puck. I see a lot of affordable kits advertised but haven't found any good pictures of the various seal profiles.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:35 am

Can't remember which dealer I bought it from. All the VW sites have them. Pre 68 small poptop seal. I had to cut off about a foot. Same as I cut off for the splittie.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Pop Top Progress

Postby AZSpyder » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Hopefully the fiberglass work is done and I managed to discover a few things to do wrong.

No telling how long to trailer was left to rot in the sun. It must have taken a long time for the pop up section to get as bad as it was. Luckily the main roof is in much better shape.

The pop up was very cracked and flexible along with a lot of the edge missing. I tried 4 different ways to build it up before I got it straight. The one that finally worked (sort of) was wrapping an aluminum strip around it and holding it with a cargo strap. Without the aluminum scuffed up the fiberglass didn't stick to it leaving a nice straight edge where the glass was laid up against it.

After building it up I had nothing but trouble marking it to trim the edge. No matter how I measured it the marked line was visibly crooked. I finally figured out that I bowed it with the cargo strap at one of the cracks and made it nice and strong, and bent! It anyone tries this again screw the top to the tubular support to hold it straight. I had to slice it before screwing to the the support and repairing it again.

Now there may be a bit of a delay before anymore real progress. My son got married and moved out of the room he has lived in since he was 4. A few repairs and updates are desperately needed. Next month our grand daughter is coming to visit for a couple of weeks. I have a bedroom to rebuild before then. Hopefully I will get to fitting the Birch interior walls soon then the skin can go on.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 am

Awesome job. Looks like you took a hopeless case and are making it work.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Take the "50 cent Tour" of my Puck in the General Discussions section.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:21 pm

The old..

The useless..

The new..
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck