Eriba Puck

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby AZSpyder » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Mine came with 12 inch rims and three new 155/80R car tires. The over all diameter is 22 inchs. I think trailer tires are about 3/4 inch smaller.

Overall the height has me worried. The previous owner had a leaf spring suspension that was about 3 inchs narrower then it should have been and riding real high. Someone following me home said it lifted a tire off the ground pulling out of the storage area I picked it up at. It did have the entire interior and floor removed so the center of gravity would have been high anyway. I lowered it 3 inches when it was switched back to torsion axles. The frame is now 16 inches above the ground just in front of the wheel well. Just guessing at possible over travel on a big bump I was afraid to go any lower and risk the tire hitting the thin aluminum wheel well. Later I found this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283248

For now I'm going to see how these car tires do since they are paid for. May end up switching to trailer tires and lower it some more. If I can lay my hands on some 10 inch aluminum wheels that fit and are cheap even better. I would be less worried about that light weight slab sided thing if it were closer to the ground.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby triker45 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for the and for the thread. Guess I'll see what my tire dealer can come up with. Thanks again. Jerry
triker45
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 am

AZ!! How's progress?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby AZSpyder » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:46 pm

rebapuck wrote:AZ!! How's progress?

Hi Judy.

I guess I haven't dropped in for a while and just now found your question.

Visual progress has been slow but a lot of time spent working on it when I can. We did take a break for a two week drive through Arizona, Nevada, California and Oregon. The puck would have been great on that trip. I kept seeing overnight parking allowed in many rest areas and kept thinking next time it will be us and the Puck.

I'm also not sure about posting too much. I did read a thread about build threads being moved into a build category. It even sounded like maybe I should wait until it's done and post a build journal but then I would miss out on some great suggestions.

After the paint that I thought wouldn't be too embarrassing, I found it was. When I started polishing I found there were some bumps in the primer. When wet sanding the paint I ended up with little green circles where I broke into the primer. I ended up sanding half way it smooth and shot the white again. It came out better and not too bad at all after polishing. Lots of time spent installing the aluminum extrusion screw strips and seals but finally got to where I consider the outside done and able to start working inside. So far wiring and foam insulation are laid in. Now I'm working on Birch paneling on the inside.

Jerry

AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:33 pm

You have a vent low on the driver side. What's that for? The AC?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby john » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:32 pm

I think I am feeling a bit of jealousy. I really like the overall appearance and shape of these.

So sweet.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:20 pm

John, They kind of tug at your heartstrings. Small, lightweight, easy on the eyes.

But rare in the US. I got mine from Belgium. Picked it up at Charleston.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby AZSpyder » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:38 pm

rebapuck wrote:You have a vent low on the driver side. What's that for? The AC?

That is the back of the "window" air conditioning unit.

The grill is an off the shelf I ran across. The area in this picture that looks like a shadow on the aft side of the unit is a gap between the floor and the side of the AC unit. There is now an aluminum cover so the AC brings air up the sides and exhausts out the side of the trailer. Hopefully the air flow won't be restricted too bad. I expect there will be some efficiency loss but even the smallest window units will have no trouble cooling the little Puck.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 am

In fact, any one of them will probably freeze you out.

I would love to put in one of those wall mount flat panel heaters. But they are all 24x24. And there is not a single area that large to mount it. A smaller one is not made, that I can find. Our Pucks are smaller than the average bathroom and nothing is designed for that kind of space.

My Puck was recently used for a film shoot and is currently awaiting a follow-up scene. As soon as that is done, I plan to start working on it. I want to put removable shelves in the closet as it is now pretty much useless. Then I want to figure out where to store the childs cot IN the Puck , instead of under my bed. Been looking for new cabinet hardware as every single one is broken. Maybe add an underside outlet. The door catch does not hold the door open, so need to figure something out for that...It's just like maintaining a house!!

And the new jockey wheel needs to be installed when it arrives.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rebapuck » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:19 am

About your AC intake. Be sure to block it off with a fine mesh. Don't want bugs, mice wasps etc to get up there.

Your rebuild is amazing. Looks just like a Puck should.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby AZSpyder » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:39 pm

rebapuck wrote:About your AC intake. Be sure to block it off with a fine mesh. Don't want bugs, mice wasps etc to get up there.

Your rebuild is amazing. Looks just like a Puck should.

Thanks Judy.

It's looking pretty good but up close there are a few details that aren't as nice as I wanted but continually working toward getting to use it.

Great idea on the screen on the bottom, I hadn't considered something making a home in it. Reminds me of another thing to be thankful for today, fellow trailer people.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:45 am

My new jockey wheel finally arrived. The sender in the UK just did get my email in time to stop a shipment of a second, replacement wheel. I've been told I should not use just the corner steadies to hold the Puck while I take off the jockey wheel. Trying to find something to put under the coupler. I don't have a cinderblock around.

My tow vehicle, a '66 VW, is back from the shop for the third time since I put in a new engine, sized to pull the Puck. Hopefully they are right that the new battery was defective from the get go, and caused all the problems. It was replaced free. We'll see. I'm sticking close to home til I trust it.

Happy Holidays.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby AZSpyder » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Judy
I think the corner posts should be plenty strong. They would support most of the trailer weight with two or more adults moving around inside as long as you don't have any serious rust issues with the frame. The housings are well attached to the lower area of the frame you can see from the bottom and to the center frame that loops around just below the windows. I'd think they would support at least 500 pounds each and maybe even twice that. They would only have maybe 100 pounds each if you just pinned them down and raised the jockey wheel.
Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:49 am

That's what I thought too. It would only be for a short while. I could just hitch it to the car, but surely if I did that, I would realize I left just the right tool at home.

Wish I had a garage.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby AZSpyder » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:35 pm

rebapuck wrote:Wish I had a garage.

Me to. I don't know if you noticed all of the pictures have been out doors. Until I get it sealed from the rain it's been on the back porch, at least it's small and fits easy.

I have had mine with no wheels on sitting on all four posts. I have put the back ones down and jacked the wheels off the ground with the tongue jack. Then lower the front legs and lower it down onto those. Granted it's not up to full weight yet but they are strong. My only concern is they are not as strong with a side load but no reason to push sideways. It would still be a challenge to bend them anyway.

Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Traditional Designs