Modular Minimalist Teardrop Trailer Build

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Modular Minimalist Teardrop Trailer Build

Postby CAMPLITE8 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Modern Modular Teardrop Trailer
by John Bell

Note - I will repost this when i figure out how to include photos

This describes the building of an advanced, custom, detachable teardrop trailer. It’s a light weight version of typical teardrop trailers, and can be removed from its rolling platform so that a bicycle or motorcycle can be carried instead.

1994: The Generation 1 Trailer

To give the background on this project, we go to Pewaukee, Wisconsin in 1994 when I scratch built a single channel motorcycle trailer of welded steel. I wanted a unique design without leaf springs, not a run of the mill flatbed. So, I designed custom machined swing arms using 4 small coil springs per arm, with pivot shafts riding in bronze bushings. I used coil springs so that I could switch to stiffer springs if I towed a street bike. Friction alone provides adequate damping. Tongue weight adjustable by sliding the axle carriage on the 5 inch wide steel channel. With 4.80-12 tires and a spare mounted flat on the channel, I used the Gen 1 trailer for 9 years in Ohio to haul my enduro bikes. It worked well, but at 260 pounds was heavy even when disassembled because it broke down to only two main components. It had a pivoting loading ramp at the rear, but no lights or wiring.1 A light trailer has the advantage of the motorcycle’s own suspension to help damp out road bumps, just don’t crank down the tie straps too hard.

When I entered off-road races I was always the lightest rig in the parking field. Other guys had big pick-ups towing flat bed or box trailers.2 I prefer to add temporary capability to an economical car, for a weekend ride or a camping trip, rather than daily drive a thirsty, oversized vehicle. I moved to Michigan in 2004 and gave the Gen 1 trailer to a dairy farmer in Marysville, Ohio who converted it to a rigid axle, covered flatbed for transporting calves, with floor planks spaced for dung fall out. I was delighted the trailer got a new life, retired on the farm, but still serving daily. I had about $1200 in the Gen 1, rather a hobby in itself.

2008: Generation 2 Trailer

In 2007 I wanted to return to off road motorcycling, but first I yearned to build a new trailer. I wanted to design the best complement to my preferred vehicle, the medium station wagon with 2 liter engine. Cars of this size (~3000 pounds) typically have a towing limit of 1000 pounds for trailers without brakes. I turned it over in my mind for weeks, and finally opted for an improved single rail motorcycle trailer, plus a separate teardrop “shellâ€
CAMPLITE8
Teardrop Inspector

a picture (or 10) would speak a thouand words!

Postby cappy208 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:29 pm

pictures, pictures. please!!

I am running this same idea around in my head on how to build as lightweight as possible too. It seems to me that the basic teardrop shape lends quite a bit of rigidity to the lateral torsion on the shell. The front curve seems to be self supporting, and the back hatch and galley area has lots of tranverse support. The roof would have to be built with the typical 1 1'2" frames, but the same side walls seem overkill.

I have come up with the idea to build the wall from the 'inside out' as it were, using the inside skin to start from, omitting the heavy 3/4" plywood which is typical.

My thoughts are to use an 1/8" inside skin, with 5/8" inch wood frame around perimeter, and biscuit the verticals where door and window openings and wall attachments will go, covered with either frp or aluminum skin. with 5/8"insulation filling the void spaces.

however I have not seen this lightweight concept anywhere.

have any other TDers done this type of wall?

any other ideas?
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

Postby High Desert » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Some interesting ideas starting here. Pics please. Lightweight ideas are usually a great conversation.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Re: a picture (or 10) would speak a thouand words!

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:46 am

cappy208 wrote:pictures, pictures. please!!

I am running this same idea around in my head on how to build as lightweight as possible too. It seems to me that the basic teardrop shape lends quite a bit of rigidity to the lateral torsion on the shell. The front curve seems to be self supporting, and the back hatch and galley area has lots of tranverse support. The roof would have to be built with the typical 1 1'2" frames, but the same side walls seem overkill.

I have come up with the idea to build the wall from the 'inside out' as it were, using the inside skin to start from, omitting the heavy 3/4" plywood which is typical.

My thoughts are to use an 1/8" inside skin, with 5/8" inch wood frame around perimeter, and biscuit the verticals where door and window openings and wall attachments will go, covered with either frp or aluminum skin. with 5/8"insulation filling the void spaces.

however I have not seen this lightweight concept anywhere.

have any other TDers done this type of wall?

any other ideas?
Hello, I know this thread is old but, I build super light,1/4 inch walls. You are right about the rigidity, make the joints super tight and all will turn out well..pix are in my album..Danny
Danny
The 300 Club

Return to Traditional Designs