Has anyone built a 2+2 or similar

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Has anyone built a 2+2 or similar

Postby davencarla » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm just getting started here - want to start designing. I'm really liking the 2+2 since we have 2 little boys. Has anyone built one that has info etc? What weight can you expect if it's built light (1/8 ply layered walls)? Any other designs or builds that sleap 4 with the tear shape?

Thanks in advance! And yes, I'm new here.....

Thanks,
Dave
davencarla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Welcome to the best padded room online

Wolfgang is in process with a 2+2

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=28640&highlight=2+2
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the fun.

Ageless wrote:Welcome to the best padded room online

Wolfgang is in process with a 2+2

Ageless is right about the build. I'm building it for only two people.
I started with the 2&2 High basic shape and made it a little narrower and changed the interior to suite my likes.
Here is a link to a 2&2 built by Kenny T several years ago.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32607&highlight=

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Alfred is building the Weekender for 5:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=21416

You could probably do something fairly similar with a rounded teardrop shape, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, have you looked at the Campster 12, near the bottom of the Design Library? (Click on the Design Library at the top of the screen; scroll down to find it and click on it to see it, if you haven't yet.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

2+2

Postby danlott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:25 pm

I am just starting on building a design based on the 2+2 High profile.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33056

My design is slightly larger at 13 feet long. I also have 2 children and wanted beds that would be big enough for when they get older and bigger. My design has a trolley top mostly for looks, but I will be able to stand up inside of it due to the top. This design could easily be built without the trolley top and you could still almost stand straight up depending on your height.

You may also consider Steve's Rondack Lodge design. His design has a front dinette that makes out into a bed. You could easily design bunks in the front and have the rear bed make into a dinette.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Just concerned about the weight

Postby davencarla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:28 pm

First - Thanks for the great feedback.

The 2+2's look great.

I really like Wolfgang's two tone. I have some cherry 1/4 ply just sitting readythat would look pretty nice with some birch or maple ply. I may steal your pattern. Someone else had a cool swirl shape that helped maximize the sheet usage....we'll see. I have a bunch of rough cut cherry so that'll probably be used.

I really like the idea of the CPES with Emtech 9300 poly top coat as the outside. I'll be garage stored so the interior plys with good coat should last quite a while. Any comments?

I'm a little concerned about the weight when done. I'm going to be pulling with a VW 4 cyl. so 1200lbs is the limit. With gear I'll have to be careful. Should I be concerned? Overly concerned? Build a smaller one and have me sleep in a tent?

Finally, I just need to draw it up. (The kids really want that bunk!) Then I can calc the weights and ask you great folks better questions.

Thanks again!
Dave
davencarla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:47 pm

If you have the owner’s manual for your 4 cyl VW, check both the tow section and the brake section. Usually there's a tiny little notation in the brake section that limits you to 1000 lbs unless the trailer has its own brakes. It's probably do-able with care....it's easy to go over your weight limits...ask me how I know. (as I sweat loosing excess by trimming wood everywhere I can!)

I'd put the kids on a sliding upper bunk like Alfred is doing and do your cooking at the picnic table. That way, you all get a mattress and a warm, safe bed plus you would probably still have a small area at the bottom back of your teardrop where you can store your kitchen supplies. :thumbsup: A Rimple or Benroy might be a good style because one of those would give you the most usable space. Also, there are already Generic Benroy plans that you can click on at the top. You'd just have to tweak them a little.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

I can tow 1430 lbs

Postby davencarla » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Sharron,

I looked at the weights already, but I did double check after you mentioned "w/o brakes." Good news, I'm rated at 1430 lbs w/o brakes (2000 lbs with brakes). That's why I picked 1200 lbs as an arbitrary max weight since 200lbs of safety is probably a good idea (overweight build and gear).

It's also rated at "165 lbs tongue load." (careful what context you use that sentence in)

There is no way I would pull this (as if it already exists) thing thru the mountains with a 4 cyl. and no trailer brakes. Even at 1200 lbs I'm just a little over cautious with a family of lives in my hands. But with a little caution it should be no problem to tow if we stick around the relatively flat St. Louis and mid-west area. There will be a "bigger" minivan in the future also..

Good catch!

Thanks,
Dave
davencarla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:35 am

davencarla wrote:
I looked at the weights already, but I did double check after you mentioned "w/o brakes." Good news, I'm rated at 1430 lbs w/o brakes (2000 lbs with brakes). That's why I picked 1200 lbs as an arbitrary max weight since 200lbs of safety is probably a good idea (overweight build and gear).

It's also rated at "165 lbs tongue load."

That's terrific! I'm envious! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:01 pm

The post listed below has a trailer weights chart based on the size of the trailer frame. I offer this hoping that it will help you with your trailer style and size decisions:

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=45
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Feeling pretty confident

Postby davencarla » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Sharon, Thanks, that is exactly the info I needed!

The family has voted on the 2+2 or some version of. I'm going to have to do the cardboard cutout, kids lay on the frame, adults sit on frame next to cardboard game to get the length, height, width. Once that's done, looks like sketch-up for the final plan. I'll post a few pics/plan and ask for feedback. Then the best part - building something. Camping will be a close second.

I can do this! Think light will be the motto. Like the kids' balsa gliders.

Man I'm ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
davencarla
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Or hang the kids in hammocks: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=32910
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby davencarla » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Hammocks are a great idea. We considered them until we saw the 2+2 layout so we're keeping them as the backup when all our ideas won't fit in this little box.

I saw someone made them with wood rod/dowels and stitched a strong stretcher to form a flat hammock. The wife thought that was a great option since it will be more like a bed.

Thanks,
Dave
davencarla
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Traditional Designs