Cabin car?

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:50 pm

Hey Green Hornet, I took the image from Andrew's site and had it blown up at a copy shop. Cost a whole 16 bucks and some change. Turns out this is probably way better than using an overhead projector or computer projector to help trace the image on to something like I had first intended.

The image is 5 by 12+. They printed it on two rolls of 36 inch wide paper, just had to play connect the dots (they overlap). The hardest part was finding a wall long enough to tape it up.... I don't think it would be too hard to transfer it on to plywood, but by blowing up the photocopy you can see each of the bits or whatever from the original PDF file. Andrew says some other type of CAD file printing directly would work better. The image looks like a the old dot matrix printers.

They gave me two copies, you can have one to play with if you like. I have sure learned a lot from it.

I think I uploaded a picture of it to the album....

[/img]
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby Green Hornet » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:43 am

Thank you kindly, Robert. I think the cardboard templet will do for tracing out onto the plywood sides. The wifey and I went to Harbor Freight today, I had planned only to see if they had em in stock and maybe get some measurements. The dang things were on sale for $229. Sooooooooooo it is at the house now. Gonna start screwing it together tomorrow.
AAAAAAAAAAAAND WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :R
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Green Hornet » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:51 am

Like yer Jag too!
Can't get enough of those Lil British Cars!
:thumbsup:
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:39 am

Whatz with the roll bar? Bug Eyes didn't have roll bars unless they were being raced. :lol: If that hood is a virgin, it's probably worth more than the car. :twisted:

Have a good day.

8)
P.S. Just kidding, the Sprite looks good.Road raced a red one way back when (for a friend because he had a broken arm. only a couple of times).
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:44 am

Hey is that a frog? :lol: :lol:

Like I said, that just never gets old to me. Yours especially since it's green.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:48 am

Green Hornet wrote:Gonna start screwing it together tomorrow. :R

Wow... :applause: now you make me feel like a sloth for trying to figure a few things out before buying stuff....

On the Cabin Car, the frame does a bit of jig so the wheels sit higher up in the body, on the harbor freight trailer, are you going to try to mimic this look by dropping the walls over the frame?

What about the Cabin Car's placement of the trailer wheels fruther to the back, are you just going to extend over the front of the frame?

Pretty funny, your little british car looks like it is set up to race, but the photo of my stock looking one is racing.... Maybe we should trade? :D

Are you going to pull your Cabin Car behind that cute little roadster?

Maybe I should loan you a few cylinders for the hills? :o
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:36 pm

:thumbsup: I like Lil' British Cars with roll bars too! 8) Image
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:08 pm

alaska teardrop wrote::thumbsup: I like Lil' British Cars with roll bars too! 8) Image
Aw, another road racer amoung us. Looks like a ford.

Have a good day.

8)
Stop'd racing in '76. (full time that is) ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:34 pm

Gage - Lola T-320 FSV. We are of the same era! :thumbsup: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Green Hornet » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:03 pm

Hey Robert! I am going to drop the sides a bit lower than the frame to mimic the look and will have a bit of hang over up front. I am not going to mess with moving the axel just for looks. I think being reduced in size it may look ok. I am going to figure it out by putting the mock-up on the trailer and going from there.
With 948cc and about 45hp I don't think that the bugeye will be called upon for towing duties!
Gage, the roll bar came with the car when I got it. I liked the look, so I kept it on. Had to cut the tanneau top to fit around it though. It is a stock 59 Austin Healey except for the alternator conversion, race car wire harness, nippondenso starter an neg ground. It is like a go-kart!
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Green Hornet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:09 pm

Got thew trailer finished this morning :)
I also put the cardboard up to see what the sides might look like. Just for fun. It will be lower on the frame of course and outside of the wheels. It was kinda windy and the cardboard was flopping! :roll:
It is a start!
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Green Hornet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:20 pm

Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Green Hornet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:22 pm

Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:42 pm

Well that's some progress for you! :D

I guess with the smaller build you are going for, you really can't do too much else but use the Cabin Car profile. I know you don't want to move the axle, but can the wheels at least be raised by putting the axle on the other side of the springs? Are you planning on having the wheels wells inside or outside of the cabin? What are you going to pull it with if not the little bug eye?

I spent several hours on my house rerouting existing electric lines (10 circuits) between my main panel and a distribution junction so I can next add a subpanel to my garage so I can buy a welder, so I can build a trailer.... sheesh. :roll:

At the end of the day, and a hundred bucks for conduit and wire, I had managed to move the existing stuff around to make expansion possible, but I still haven't yet started on the new stuff. It was like cleaning, where at the end you basically have what you started with, its just a bit neater...

I hate cleaning...
:(
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby Green Hornet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:55 pm

I am going to have the sides hang over the wheels. My overall width will be 64" and 4'tall and 10' long. The cardboard was nothing "scientific" to be sure. Just wanted to see what I am heading towards.
Gonna use the wifeys Honda Odyessey van to tow it when finished.
The Fire Marshall will no longer let me attempt wiring in the house! So I had to go with a bolt together trailer. Good luck with yors Robert. You going to make a full size one with the wheels set far back?
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Traditional Designs