Evolved taste in teardrops?

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:03 pm

Mike, I agree with your better half, it is the look that I really like, just getting everything into it. Like the idea of the slide-outs, just have to figure out the working parts.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:35 am

Thanks for the encouragement. Yep, I guess if you drop the floor, and squeeze in through the door, then you have a table you can sit at in the rain, or snow. I add the element, snow, because our local campground is open until December and we are going to do some cold weather testing this year, hopefully in the snow.

I'm wondering if one dropped the frame under the door, and brought the door down to the level of the footwell??? Like a Serro Scotty? Similar to this...
Maybe even paint the lower part black to reinforce the sleek profile.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Grant » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:51 am

"Yep, I guess if you drop the floor, and squeeze in through the door, then you have a table you can sit at in the rain, or snow ..."

Mike!

With that 10' profile, a 32" wide door is EASY to fit in (I put 32"W doors in my 8' designs with no trouble), even as much as 36" wide, so there'd be no "squeeze" to geting inside. I also mount my tables on a single pedestal that allows the table to be turned a bit to allow even easier ingress/egress.

"I'm wondering if one dropped the frame under the door, and brought the door down to the level of the footwell??? Like a Serro Scotty?"

Why? You'd be making more work for yourself, adding more weight to the frame, and eliminating that side support for the bed cushion(s). Unless you're building a high-steppin' off-road teardrop like Ryan wants to, or you have some kind of physical disability, entry & exit of a typical teardrop is relatively easy with little fuss (and with a little practice can even be graceful & dignified ;-} ;-} ...!). Remember the K.I.S.S. principle that is part & parcel of the allure of teardropping in the first place.

Here's something else to consider, with regard to door placement: when you look closely at many of the earlier vintage designs like KIT, Ken-Skill, or Benroy (to name only a few), you'll notice that the threshold of their doors are as much as 6" above the floor. Many new(er) builders have figured out that about 2" is all that is needed, and THAT makes entry/exit of the teardrop even easier than it was 50-60 years ago.

Your proposed 5"W x 10"L planform is going to allow a LOT of flexibility with regards to desired features. I'd be willing to submit that you WILL be able to incorporate air-conditioning, and even a modest heat source, if you plan carefully. Just keep that pencil sharp and scratching! Oh, that's right - you're using CAD ... ;-} ;-} ...! O.K. - BRAIN sharp and fingers tapping!

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Chip » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:24 pm

Mike,,speaking of cold weather,,,a lot of us do not have large units that would accomidate a heater and if ya not near 115v then ya might be shivering,,,I got an idea for a 12v heater but its sort of out there,,,what do most do other than the 98.6 degree heater ya take with ya,,lol,,,??thats just if no regular current around,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joanne » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:15 pm

Hi!

I agree that the profile looks like a Modernistic. Although it seems like the galley space towards the rear is a little awkward because of the shape, it has to be my favorite profile. It's outline is nearly art-deco.

Anyway, since we keep talking about slide-outs, why wouldn't a "slide down" work as well? You could add a retractable footwell that could extend down further than if it was built-in. If it was built with a lip around the top edge, it would automatically seal as it dropped into place.

Maybe a retractable footwell is solving a problem that doesn't exist, but I'm trying to learn to think "outside the box". Most of the ideas don't hold water, but every now and then I come up with one worth considering.

Just my .02 worth.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:05 am

I sall that trailer on ebay, it is a good trailer. That trailer has nice space with the dropped floor.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Previous

Return to Traditional Designs