There's a Cabin Car (for sale...) on E bay

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

There's a Cabin Car (for sale...) on E bay

Postby 48Rob » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:17 pm

Hi all,

If you've been paying attention, you probably already know about the cabin car, if not, don't feel bad...it was really well hidden, though it has had over 700 views.

After trying all week, I finally connected with the seller.

He didn't really know what he had...though he had several e mails from folks suggesting it was a cabin car.
He's been busy, and is just now responding to the mail.

Anyway, it is indeed a cabin car, BUT, it has been modified :(

Though not as pristine as one would like, since there really aren't too many to choose from, this one qualifies as a once in a lifetime opportunity...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4596879783&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Green Hornet » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:50 pm

It has THE look. For sure. I asked to see some more pics of the exterior on the listing. $3500 to start is an awful lot of scratch for sight un-seen.
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:53 am

GH,

The price is pretty steep for what it is... or isn't.

$3500 wouldn't be bad for an unmloested original, but it appears much of the original interior is gone, as well as a few other parts and pieces...sure is hard to tell from such small dark photos.

But in the end, it is a cabin car, and there just aren't too many out there to choose from.

Last year, before I started mine, I would have been pretty interested, but then, as now, I'd be on the fence with regard to buy it or pass.

It would need a full restoration either way, but with all the changes, there may well be precious little "original" left in the end?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby grant whipp » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:11 pm

Rob!

How did you determine that that trailer is a bona fide, honest-to-gawd CabinCar? Mfg. ID plate, sales literature match-up, advertising match-up, or what?

While it IS easy to see SOME similarities to a real CabinCar, it's not like any I've ever seen - not even the two factory aluminum-clad versions I know about. While I'll be the first to admit that I don't know EVERYTHING about teardrops ... ;-} ;-} ... I've yet to see anything that shows me, definitively, that that trailer is a CabinCar.

If you've got the evidence, please share it, or the source, or ... something!
Please ... ?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, All! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby 48Rob » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:04 pm

Grant,

Perhaps I was too generous with my use of the word "indeed"...

I do not have definitive proof that I would bet my life on.

I spoke to the owner at length, and determined/deduced from that information that the trailer had undergone a major rebuild at some point in its life.
If that is the case, then it has been reskinned, possibly re-roofed, and the inside all but gutted.

My conclusion was based mostly on my research.
I've spent countless hours studying photos and brochures to come up with the design basis for my version of the Cabin car.

I really believe it is a Cabin Car, but I don't know everything there is to know either.

I sent the owner a copy of one of my brochures, and he too felt that it was a match, with exception to the remodeling.

I'd love to verify one way or the other, but the fellow is on the other side of the country...too far to go out of curiosity.
If anyone is close, a couple pictures of the underside would likely be all that is needed, though a series of detail photos would be great too!

I did advise him that you were one of the leading "teardrop" experts, and passed on your Contact info as he seemed interested in learning more.

It is possible that someone like me, years ago, chose to replicate the Fleet design?
A "close, but no cigar" deal.

Thanks for pointing out my error.

Merry Christmas!

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:59 am

Rob, If someone on the board was really interested, I could drive out to take a look. The listing has expired, but no one bid on it. So it might still be available.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:32 am

Bledsoe,

Thanks for your interest.

I am interested in pictures/information in general.

Since beginning my quest, I've learned much about Cabin Cars, but still know little.
Rather like a needle in a haystack...
With so few examples remaining, any leads are worth exploring.

Grant mentioned recently that he or someone he is associated with is working on a book that may contain info on the Cabin Car trailer.
The proof one way or another would be great info to include...

If you wanted to take the time to shoot some pictures, that would be fantastic, several of us (at least) would be very grateful!

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mukilteo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 pm

We had on when I was younger, much younger. If I remember correctly the roof was aluminum.
Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:24 am

Eric....wonderful pics of a vintage Cabin Car with the family!!!! It appears that it was towed by a Studebaker station wagon to boot!!!. Those pics really should be put in the vintage pics thread. Well, a quick check finds that you already did....good job and thanks for sharing those! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Outlaw » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:49 am

Looks like the auction has been pulled :?
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:02 am

Outlaw wrote:Looks like the auction has been pulled :?

It's just that someone resurected a 3 year old thread.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Outlaw » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:08 am

Alan Wood wrote:
Outlaw wrote:Looks like the auction has been pulled :?

It's just that someone resurected a 3 year old thread.

Whoops, did I mention it was almost 3am :?
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Return to Traditional Designs