What size and how?

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

What size and how?

Postby 57speedster » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:28 am

So, after reviewing quite a few designs and thinking of a few on my own I have decided on a traditional tear. My question is how large of a tear does everyone have. I see a lot of 5x8's and I want to know if I can extend a harbor freight trailer to make one. I'm thinking of just cutting and welding in a 12" piece of angle iron in the center of each section. I guess I would have to extend the axle too. What thoughts or expierences does everyone have... and Is a 4x8 way to small. Thank's Wil
Dualsports, Adventure riding, and Street bikes. Get out and ride your 2 wheels.
www.my2wheels.com
57speedster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:35 am

Hey Will, Mines a 9X5 mainly because I'm 6'4" and the Handbrake likes a lot of room in bed. As for what you should build-- "How long is a piece of string?" :D One thing I have discovered on this Board is that no matter what you decide, most will support your decision. Most say that the 8X4 is a little sqeezy for two. As for modifying the trailer, others will have to help with that because I purpose built my own. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:55 am

Wil, I really think 5' is the way to go...with a HF trailer, it isn't actuallu necessary to widen the whole thing...you could buld out over the wheels or do as Jim Marshall did and just extend the axles out and build out over the frame...or you could get a 5X8 trailer from RedTrailer.com or have TSC order you a custom unit from Carry-On Trailer Corp...check Rich's Links at the top of page for more info also checkout TomS's site for what he did with a 5x8 RedTrailer...you havea lotta options, so take your time and continue searching and researching this site
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Traditional Designs