Soooo close to being done, photos

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Soooo close to being done, photos

Postby 48Rob » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Almost there! :applause:

Just 4 weeks till camping season starts, the trailer needs just a few odds and ends finished up...probably about 3.75 weeks worth (I keep finding more things to add...)

To see the latest pictures, please click on the link.
Clicking any of the thumbnails will bring up the full size image.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ ... 20project/

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Rob, You're really going overboard and I love it. :thumbsup:
The Gathering at Spring mill will honor your celebrity status.
Great job on the Cabin car. There are people coming to this gathering who are unaware of your building ability.
Can't wait to see it.
:shock:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Rob's craftsmanship

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:52 pm

Rob:

I am totally blown away with the creature comforts and attention to detail of your rig! The pictures go on and on ... celebrating every nook and cranny of this oh so well made masterpiece.

Can I ask a few questions? :thinking:

Did you do most of this work yourself?

How did you waterproof your galley hatch as it seems seamless yet a place that water could get in?

How much does the Tear weigh? Meaning what size tow rig would one have to have to pull your Tear?

What do you figure your tongue weight is as it appears your wheel base seems back some?

About moisture in your bathroom tub area ... do you think that will be taken care of with the front window opening and the vent just outside in the bedroom area?

Gosh I really do appreciate the look and old world craftsmanship of your beautiful rig. Thank you for sharing so many pics’ with us!

Best Regards, :applause:
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby 48Rob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the nice words!
It is a bit fancy for camping, but I work outside all year long, so when we go camping/touring, I enjoy a touch of luxury...I gave up playing Daniel Boone a few years back...

Yes, I did all the work, except for mounting the new tires, and having the window glass cut.

The galley hinge is a stainless steel piano hinge, wrapped with vinyl covered cloth.
The ends of the cloth extend an inch or so past each end.
When the hatch is closed, the cloth is "pinched" so water can't get in (the hinge is mounted in a vertical position).

I also installed a second layer of cloth over the hinge to divert the water, and act as a reserve barrier.

I haven't weighed it yet, but am guessing 2000-2500 pounds, kinda overbuilt, 'cause I like heavy duty :D
Hithch weight is 300+.
The wheels are set very far back, it puts more weight on the tongue, but allows for very smooth high speed towing with no worries about sway.

The moisture from the shower won't likely be an issue on most summer days.
For the times the window and vent aren't enough, I have a bath fan that vents downward, and the roof vent has a fan that pushes air out, along with a fan mounted in the floor that draws air in.

If all that fails, I can open the door, it is 5' x 3' so it airs the place out pretty quick!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 48Rob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Kurt,

Isn't "overboard" something you do on a boat?

I have gotten a little carried away, but it sure is fun! :applause:

Me, a celebrity? I think you have me confused with somone else...remember, I'm the shy fellow who hangs back a ways...

Thanks for the compliments, I'm touched by your thoughts.
Remember though, that pictures always make things look better than they are.
It is a nice trailer, but far from perfect.

I'm sure looking forward to the gathering, always nice to be around good people like you, and those I haven't met yet...

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

It has been fun following your build

Postby Guy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:05 pm

Dear Rob,

It has been fun following your build; you have innovated and inspired. Your inclusion of bath and shower facilities proved it could be done with elegance.

You know I love your unique adaptation of the cooler hatch, and I amusing it for teardrops4vets, using a homemade 10 day cooler underneath and and old cooler to and seal above.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Dear Guy,

Thank you.

The cooler door/hatch is neat, but I can't claim it.
Other teardrop folks beat me to it by at least 60 years...

Not sure how the cutting board is going to work out...as long as we don't do things with juice, it should be okay (not that I ever use a cutting board, thats what counters are for, right?) :D

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby neal b » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm

i sure do wish i had your woodworking skill what a fantastic job :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:33 pm

Neil,

Thanks.

I'm not sure its really skill though, just a lot of trial and error over the years...
And there are some errors in those pictures...

I'll bet you could do well at most anything you tried, as long as you really wanted to succeed... :thinking:

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Green Hornet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:56 pm

Man-o-man that looks sweeeeeet!
Of course yer a celebrity! 8) I would never attempted mine without seeing the progress of your cabincar. :applause:
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby EZ » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Rob, that is so cool! How are you ever going to keep people away once you hit the road?

A friend of mine refers to what he calls the "ten foot rule"; that everything looks fabulous from ten feet away because it hides the minor flaws. Same way with pictures. However I think that your camper is probably a near work of art close-up as well. It is amazing what can be done with just a handful of cubic feet and your imagination. Your workmanship and inginuity (as well as probably your camper's weight) are without parallel. Congratulations!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:35 pm

Ed & Jeff,

Thank you both for the compliments! ;)

You're probably right about the campers weight...

I think maybe the 8 foot rule applies here.
It is pretty, but far from a work of art.
I'd like to say that I didn't make it perfect cause I want to use it, but the reality is that I made a few mistakes like everybody else.

Keeping people away once I hit the road...that would be pretty hard to do :rofl2: :rofl2:

I like people, most of those that come to see are pretty nice...just another part of the camping experience :thumbsup:

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby IndyCubby » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Rob,

That trailer is stunning! :thumbsup: It catches my eye everytime it pops up in the "hall of fame". I can't wait to see it up close at Spring mill. I think I'm only two doors down from you.

Chris
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Thank you Chris!

Only one week to go... :worship: :worship:

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby steve-o » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:27 am

Wow. That is the only word I can come up with to describe this. Amazing. OK. That was another one.
steve-o
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Traditional Designs