October Gathering, Pisgah National Forest, NC

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:34 pm

Hello Dani,

Welcome to the wonderful world of teardrops! You will find very friendly and knowledgeable people here. What company are you looking at to order your tear from? Most of them will let you custom order to your taste.

I, like Chip & Clancy live in S.C. Aiken to be precise, not far from your town. Tomorrow afternoon Clancy is coming over to the house with his tear, so there would be two here you could see. Would love to see you and Jake if you wanted to stop in. Also the starting of a new one I'm building. Let me know if you would like to come and I'll send you directions.

Again Welcome and glad to see you on the board.

Frank & Linda
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dani Strobridge » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:24 pm

Hi Frank and Linda.

We are looking at the Teardrop Camp-Inn built in Wisconsin. In fact Jake is on his way there now to take a look at the way they are built and he will probably order on this coming week if he likes what he sees. I think it will take several months for it to be built so we may not get one until after Christmas.

Thanks for the offer to visit and see yours - maybe another time when Jake gets back. I think tomorrow I will go ahead and reserve a campsite at Davidson and if all goes well we will see you there.
The more I explore on the internet the more I am finding out about the little trailers and it is really interesting.

Did you say you are building another one - for yourself or someone else?

Do you carry a tent with you when you go? I saw a discussion about that on the general topics page and it made me wonder about what we would do if it did rain during the day? Dani
Dani and Jake Strobridge
Dani Strobridge
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:02 am

Dani,
We only carry a tent when the grandkids go with us, they sleep in it. We have a portable canopy(at walmart under 100.00) that we put up over and in front of the tear. This is mostly for shade, but also works as a porch in the rain.

I'm building a new tear bigger and better, the old one (in the picture) is not a true tear due to the fact that there is no rear hatch for a galley. I built it over 20 years ago, from memory (had one back then) and did not know how to do the hatch. It is a 4'X10' the new one will be 5'X 12'.

The man that builts Camp-Ins is on this board, he has lots of good ideas and is open to your specific wants in a tear. Down here you do need insulation and A/C to be confortable. The one I have now only has the fantactic vent and no insulation, if your not in the mountains camping it is hot in there at night! But in after thought, cooler and more confortable than a tent.

Look forward to seeing you in Oct if not before.

Frank & Linda
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dani Strobridge » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:30 am

I just wanted to let everyone know that Jake ordered Our Teardrop and we will be picking it up in Dec. What is wrong with this picture - Wisconsin it Dec?
I did reserve site 41 for the Oct gathering at Davidson. See you there. :D
Dani and Jake Strobridge
Dani Strobridge
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chip » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:40 am

Dani,,,congratulations,,,I know you and Jake are excited,,,

looking forward to meeting ya both at davidson,,,,Dec. in Wisconson,,,hmmmm sounds like an adventure already,lol

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:21 am

I will be making my reservations next week. Has anyone ever been there ? Are canoes OK and does it have showers ? ALAN
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:04 pm

hey Allen,,been thar and its nice,,,canoe may be ok they tube on the river so canoe prob be good too,,no electric at sights but they do have communial water,,bath and shower facilities are good also,,sights are generally partial shade to full shade,,creekside sites are about 100 to 150 ft to river,,if ya forget anything there is a wally world and bilo about 3 miles away also resturants close if ya a bad cook or picky eater,,look forward to seeing ya there..

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:41 pm

This will be my wifes first time out in the boonies. Roughing it for her is a cheap hotel without cable. Should be interesting. Do I need to bring my own firewood ? A day trip to Biltmore convinced her to go with me. I'm trying to locate my first Tear and if I can I may bring two. Make my res next week. Alan
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:51 pm

:lol: Allen,,well at least she agreed to come,,Biltmore House has a pretty good winery if ya like wine,,may make the boonies a bit more enjoyable,,lol, the last time I was there they sold wood but a little extra is always good,,see yall in the fall

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:17 pm

:D
Hi Everybody:
I just got started in the process of building a Teardrop. I researched many web sites and downloaded a lot of information. I also purchased a set of plans from Kuffel Creek. I went over the plans and decided that there were a lot of parts and procedures that I didn’t like about the plans. So, I drew up my own plans using a little bit of info from the many sites that I had visited. I now have a 60 page document which I intend to follow as I build my Teardrop. I just started the construction phase. My frame is being built by a welder and will be complete next week.

I live in Brevard, NC and I plan to join the group at the Davidson Campground in October. I may not be camping in a Teardrop but I will stop by and see if there are some ideas to incorporate into my Teardrop.

Dan
Dan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:06 am

Dan welcom to the group,,as you get into the process of building you will change things because you change your mind or what is or is not how you want it,,other changes will be due to "oops" cut twice and measure once syndrom,,but good luck on yours,

I live in Greenville and you are more than welcome to take a ride down and look at mine,,its still under construction but I am not sure you ever finish one of these things,,just give me a shout and let me know if ya coming,,

look forward to meeting ya in October,,bring a tent and stay a night,,

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:49 am

Hey Dan,

Chip is right about the "OOPS'S". They happen and sometimes quite often. Just take your time, think several steps ahead and ask alot of questions. This board is great with building support.

Glad you will be able to join us for the gathering. It will be alot of fun.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Ross Wade » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:54 am

Clancy,

Looks like you are going to have a GREAT turn out. Any ideas on the head count yet? Hopefully the leaves will have started to turn and give a colorful backdrop to the gathering.

Ross
Last edited by Ross Wade on Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Chip » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:11 pm

Ross thanks for the kind words on the other thread,,,looks like we gonna have 6 maybe 7 couples at this point,,,dang near enough for a pot luck,,,

as far as outside I am putting the white single ply TPO roofing on today and finishing up on some trim work,,mounting lights and such,,

ya'll have a great weekend

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Clancy Courtney » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:35 pm

Ross, It looks like there may be 6 or 7 trailers with an additional 6 or so folks who are interested in tears or are building one that plan on showing up.
Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Southeast