Beaches around Savannah, GA?

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Beaches around Savannah, GA?

Postby bg » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:15 pm

In Late February (Sat the 24th - Tues the 27th) I'm going to fly into Savannah for the weekend and spend some time with a friend of mine stationed at Ft. Stewart (Hinesville).

I know it'll be more than a bit cool to swim, but I've never seen ocean outside of the Gulf of Mexico. Basically looking for a spot to spend the afternoon and enjoy the sunset.

So, anyone have any suggestions as to something within an hours drive that would be a good getaway? Also do I need to be aware of any seasonal beach closures?

Thanks
Bobby
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:32 pm

Bobby I can't tell you about the beaches but I can tell you to fly into Jacksonville Florida cause it is so much cheaper. A couple of hours away.

Jiminsava lives in Savanna and can probably give ya lots of info. Hinesville has some lakes too I think.

I might get there first. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Bobby... Most of coastal Georgia is swamp and barrier islands, only a few of which have road access. Downtown Savannah is about 15 miles from the ocean. Tybee island is the losest developed island, but I haven't been there in years. I think the nicest place with beach access may be about 45 minutes south at Jekyll Island... A really beautiful place. Hilton Head is about an hour north and is a very popular tourist stop too. Maybe Jiminsavannah can chime in and tell you more about local places to go? AuntieM is right about flying into Jacksonville... You may save enough to rent a car and take a nice drive to Savannah. Fernandina Beach is very historic and beautiful, right on the ocean and so is S. Mary's GA, then there is Jekyll Island (mostly a state park) and St. Simons Island (too rich for me!). I've spent days just touring old Savannah... A great place to bicycle around (when it's not cold) I love historic old houses and they have plenty. Have fun... being from Jax, I've enjoyed a lot of good times up there. :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby madjack » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:28 pm

BG, since you will be on the EAST COAST, you would probably enjoy sunrises a lot better than sunsets!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:24 am

madjack wrote:BG, since you will be on the EAST COAST, you would probably enjoy sunrises a lot better than sunsets!!!!!!!
madjack 8)

Good one Madjack! I missed that completely? Duh... :duh :eyebrows:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby bg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:41 am

madjack wrote:BG, since you will be on the EAST COAST, you would probably enjoy sunrises a lot better than sunsets!!!!!!!
madjack 8)

'Doh You're right.

Miriam C. wrote:Bobby I can't tell you about the beaches but I can tell you to fly into Jacksonville Florida cause it is so much cheaper. A couple of hours away.

Jiminsava lives in Savanna and can probably give ya lots of info. Hinesville has some lakes too I think.

I might get there first. 8)

Sadly it's only $40 cheaper to fly into Jacksonville than Savannah.

Podunkfla wrote:Bobby... Most of coastal Georgia is swamp and barrier islands, only a few of which have road access. Downtown Savannah is about 15 miles from the ocean. Tybee island is the losest developed island, but I haven't been there in years. I think the nicest place with beach access may be about 45 minutes south at Jekyll Island... A really beautiful place. Hilton Head is about an hour north and is a very popular tourist stop too. Maybe Jiminsavannah can chime in and tell you more about local places to go? AuntieM is right about flying into Jacksonville... You may save enough to rent a car and take a nice drive to Savannah. Fernandina Beach is very historic and beautiful, right on the ocean and so is S. Mary's GA, then there is Jekyll Island (mostly a state park) and St. Simons Island (too rich for me!). I've spent days just touring old Savannah... A great place to bicycle around (when it's not cold) I love historic old houses and they have plenty. Have fun... being from Jax, I've enjoyed a lot of good times up there. :thumbsup:

Thanks Brick, That sure is a lot to think about now. This is the first of probably 3 trips out there in the next year. I don't even remotely know the area and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I'm out there.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:48 am

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:49 am

look here... http://www.tybeeisland.com

We also visited fort pulaski, a very nice federal park
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby sid » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:57 am

The Tybee Island area always seemed "brown" to me. I guess because the Savanah River empties out there. Go just north to Hilton Head for some better water and beaches. (IMHO)
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:32 pm

This past Feb on the way to FL, I saw a sign that said Hilton Head... thought I'd 'run down' and take a look, after hearing about it all these years....

Let's see, 45 minutes and 4 miles later, said screw it.. Traffic up the ying-yang, construction, traffic control signals (ha-ha).. and a new 4,000 home development going in (Sun City something or other)... and I still had 8 miles to go.... when an area gets that popular, it just gets people-cluttered.

I turned around, got back on the highway and headed to Florida. Well, actually, Savannah....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby sid » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:07 pm

Nice areas do have a way of getting crowded......
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:29 pm

I remember seeing signs for Jekyll Island near the FL-GA border. Never been there though.

http://www.jekyllisland.com/
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:34 pm

BG,
Maybe I better have someone drive me to TX to fly out. We were a lot higher going from KCI. My mom is closer so we usually leave from there. I better check better. 8)

I sure am glad you posted this. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:54 pm

re Hilton Head... fly in on a coporate jet... it's the only way to go.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:14 pm

hummm..someone should tell me when I'm needed..
anyways, yeah, Tybee pretty much sucks for beach because it's so developed.
the place to go is Jykll Island down below brunswick, which is an hour away from Hinesville.
Jykll will cost you 3 bucks for a parking permit, but thats all you have to pay, park anywhere you want, once inside the gate, go to the end of the road and go right about a mile and your see a break in the dunes to walk to the beach..it's almost empty and the water is clean, unlike tybee and it's brown water, which BTW, is cause by the savannah river and the ogeechee rivers being tannic water.
if you get off the beach and head back towards the road out, keep going around and you'll find a Tabby constructed house from the 16th century.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Southeast