Putting out feeler for a future gathering

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Postby Jst83 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:58 pm

Here's a little taste of the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Conter) in pictures For those thinking about it.

You can raft single ducky, double ducky, or 6 person raft. The river has it's slow spots for lots of floating and resting Lots of beautiful scenery.

Then you have rougher water to get the heart pumping

This is how the falls looked before they turn the water on. I saw it this way before I got on the river so I was over confident.

This is me going over the falls needless to say I didn't do it the first time with the raft. Should have pulled over and scouted the falls. But it's a good story to talk about kind of like being in a washing machine.

Looks nothing like picture number 3
:lol:

Stay tuned for more pictures that will either scare you or entice you
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby harldydodge1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Count me in.
harldydodge1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary K » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Is that a class 1 rapid?? :lol: ;) :D

I'd like to go do that... it reminds me of a little river around Danville VA, ?? or NC?? :? On the boarder though.... It had a hand full of whooptedoos and bunches BFR's!!! Wish I had some pics of it.

Let us know what dates you are talking about :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:20 pm

Nantahala is in a different part of the state, closer to the Smokeys. Only reason I know where Danville, VA is because I lived kinda close to it on the NC side.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:28 am

Mary K wrote:Image

Is that a class 1 rapid?? :lol: ;) :D

I'd like to go do that... it reminds me of a little river around Danville VA, ?? or NC?? :? On the boarder though.... It had a hand full of whooptedoos and bunches BFR's!!! Wish I had some pics of it.

Let us know what dates you are talking about :thumbsup:

Mk

Actually it's a class III I think It's the biggest on the trip. The rest can still dump you though.
As far as date I was thinking spring because the water is up a bit and it runs a little faster. I've been in the fall and spring and spring is better. The water is never warm so that is not a factor.
No real dates though, if anyone has any thoughts on that just feel free to express them. :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:33 am

asianflava wrote:Nantahala is in a different part of the state, closer to the Smokeys. Only reason I know where Danville, VA is because I lived kinda close to it on the NC side.

Oh, ya, I knew it was a different River, :oops: I just meant it looked familiar. I just couldn't remember if Danville was in NC or VA.

Scott, thats a #3? I remember the 1 #3 I went over being a lot bigger. :lol:

That does look like fun!! :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Mary K wrote:Scott, thats a #3? I remember the 1 #3 I went over being a lot bigger. :lol:

That does look like fun!! :thumbsup:

Mk

I've got some wider angle pic's of it I'll post, There's 2 drops in it.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby pauld3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Hey, Paul has a raft. I saw it in a box in the basement! We may have to blow it up and see if it still holds air!!! This is very enticing!!! 8)
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 pm

pauld3 wrote:Hey, Paul has a raft. I saw it in a box in the basement! We may have to blow it up and see if it still holds air!!! This is very enticing!!! 8)

The NOC rents them and takes you up river and you finish up right back where you started. Pretty good price also I think it was about $25 for the single raft. Take a waterproof camera and it will be the best money ever spent. That's just my opinion.

They have a couple resteraunts right there at the take out One serves a great breakfast the other is sit down with a nice area for larger groups.
I forgot they have a snack bar also.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:34 pm

harldydodge1 wrote:Count me in.

Great, welcome the more the merrier
As the time draws closer we'll think about a date.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 am

Mary K wrote:
asianflava wrote:Nantahala is in a different part of the state, closer to the Smokeys. Only reason I know where Danville, VA is because I lived kinda close to it on the NC side.

Oh, ya, I knew it was a different River, :oops: I just meant it looked familiar. I just couldn't remember if Danville was in NC or VA.

Yeah they all look the same right before you hit the rapid. All I could focus on were the rocks! Kept psyching myself out by thinking, "I'll bet that will hurt."
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:27 pm

Wow. What a coincidence! We were just THERE!

We got back (yesterday) from 5 days at the Smokey Mountain Meadows Campground off of Alarka Rd, just outside of Bryson City with the Carolina Canoe Club at their Week of Rivers - which happens every year the week of 4th of July. The campground can accomodate over 500 campers for a week! (using their overflow site - which is an open field) They have full RV hookup, water/electric only sites, and tent sites all along a small creek. The most of the sites are shaded in some fashion or another - RV/water/electric sites for sure, tent sites - mostly.

Unless the Lost Mine Campground has changed radically in the last 15 years, I would personally recommend against it. The sites are very small, right on the creek, and definitely shaded - but TOO shaded. Nothing ever dries out and the area can be very much like a temperate rain forest - unless it is in the current weather conditions where it is almost a drought there. Also, the sites are literally right on the road and you hear EVERY car that drives past the campsite. Picture a winding 1.5 lane road following a stream uphill that crosses that stream multiple times. The campsites are in those curves between the stream and the road - sometimes on one side of the road and sometimes on the other. Oh, and I did mention the rainforest right? And the fact that you are RIGHT on the creek? The creek has been known to flood the campground on occasion.

I haven't been out Rt 28 to the other campground that was discussed, but it is a beautiful area out that way and may be right off of Fontana Lake. There are lots of mountain biking trails in the area.

Nantahala Outdoor Center is a major complex at the "end" of the river. They have two restaurants, a small eatery, a store for outdoor gear to rival few others, and have rental canoes/kayaks/rafts/duckies/mountain bikes/etc available. They will also let you demo a particular canoe/kayak on the river behind the store.

Yes, Nantahala Falls (just upstream of the NOC complex) is a class III rapid with lots of carnage. It is a good place to spend the afternoon watching people flip / swim the falls. And the 8 miles of river upstream of it are lots of fun in a raft/ducky/canoe/kayak. Just keep in mind that the water is very cold! Maybe 45 degs? Dress appropriately.

Oh, and the Appalachian Trail comes right thru the Nantahala Outdoor Center complex, so there is plenty of hiking locally.

Restaurants. Yes, Rivers End - which is right at the takeout - serves very filling food. It is geared to the thru hiker and has generally high carb meals that are very filling. I had one of the best calzones that I have ever had there on Friday night - I think I will be eating the rest of it for dinner tonight! Relia's Garden - the dress-up restaurant (coat/tie recommended) on the far side of the river - is also very good, but expensive, too. However, some people are looking for that kind of thing. The small eatery that I mentioned is basically a hot dog stand with a few other things added to it.

Oh, and who can forget about Ropers BBQ? It is a small roadside stand that is about 2 miles upstream of the NOC complex and is perfectly placed for those people who want to stop for lunch on the river or are running shuttle at the end of the day to stop and get a bite to tide you over.

Oh, wait! I forgot about the ice cream store in downtown Bryson City. I don't remember the name of it, but it was really good. And you can't forget Guyabitos - the Mexican restaurant in town. Yummm.

What else can I say? Other than that the Ocoee (sp?) river is only about 1.5 hrs away and raft trips are available on it. The 2004 olympic whitewater course is also on the Ocoee (sp?), upstream of the normal run.

Can you tell I've been there recently????? And, believe it or not, we only ate out ONCE! This most recent trip, of course!

My recommendation for timing would be either May or late August / early September. The Nantahala gets really busy with lots of rubber in the summer time when kids are off.

Andrea.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Ya know, Jst83, :thinking: if you are seriously considering a May 2008 date, you might consider talking to Ross and see if he would be willing to move the Spring Fling to the Bryson City area one year. It might be worth talking about.

Andrea.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby Jst83 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Andrera, thanks for the info yes I love the NOC the reason I thought about the lost mine is because it's right there at all the attractions I'll have to check out the site for the campground your talking about, the lost mine is limited on the electric sites. I'm up for just about anything. I just want a reason to go down there I haven't been since before my twins were born. So who is Ross I'm not from this region I'm just here visiting I'll have to look into it.
So did you raft? Yes the water is cold I always go with the wet suite after a few minutes it's the last thing on your mind. I love breakfast at the Rivers End restaurant. Yuuum
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 am

Send a PM to Ross Wade (that's his user name, too). He is one of the main coordinators of the southeast gatherings. He doesn't check the message board as much anymore as he used to, so you'll definitely need to send a PM, then wait a couple of days for a response.

Here is his thread on the Spring Fling 2007. It might give you some ideas.

Yes, I did raft (in our own raft), but Mark took his canoe.

Andrea.
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Southeast