Toy Haulers

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Toy Haulers

Postby McTeardrops » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:01 am

I went to a car/trailer/ boat show last weekend. Over half the trailers were the "Toy Hauler" configuration: Ramp door at the rear, side door into kitchen/bath/dining at the front, garage area with folding bunks behind. Some of the bunks were at a height to allow sleeping OVER four wheelers.

Am I missing something? In a previous life I built a pedestal bunk frame, in the rear of a van, that folded and stacked to allow transporting a bike in the back. I used it twice! The fumes were so strong, we had to drive with the windows open for two weeks after each use! The last race team I was on transported two dwarves in a 35 foot fifth wheel trailer. You could not stay in that thing for the first half hour after the doors were opened.

Does this new $3.50 gas smell that much better than the $1.25 stuff I put in my Hondas? Have tank vents and crankcase seals improved that much? Or are the folks dropping $35K for one of these rigs getting soaked?

Lenny

PS: On the way home, on I 30 @ 75mph, I watched through his window, a kid, sitting on a dirt bike in the back of one of these rigs, playing a racing video game, monitor clamped to the handlebars.
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby G-force » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 pm

I had no problem sleeping in mine for years, perhaps your nose is more sensative. My trailer had vent doors at floor level on both sides, leaving these open allowed for ventilation and I assume the heavy gas fumes settle downward. Plus the upper bed tend to be 4-6 feel off floor level, the side beds/couches usualy only work witht he toys outside. Now when I was roadracing bikes, no way could I have a bike or fuel drums of race fuel in there, that stuff is strong and very fume-ey (I think I made a new word!)Image

Mike
G-force
Teardrop Master

Return to Southeast