Ichetucknee Springs, FL.

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Postby Lynn Coleman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi all,

I'll be going here this week. We're going to go overnight and spend a day on the springs.

I'll let you all know how the camping is and what the area will be like for a Fall camping trip.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 am

Just got the confirmation from Fran that we are going tubing there on July 19th. Not sure yet if we are going to camp that weekend or just make a day of it. Please take pics of the campground sites and let me know what you think. Have fun!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:57 am

That 72 degree water sounds pretty good right now. Lynn & Paul, have fun on your overnight get away. Becca, do you have to reserve ahead to float down the river? Oops re-read your post, confirmation with Frannie, I get it :oops:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Steve, you don't have to reserve to go tubing but they do have a daily limit (it's pretty high) but that shouldn't be a problem. Are you and Kim going to go? It should be fun...except for the water being 72. I am trying to get a few more people to join us. We still haven't decided if we are going to camp but we have time.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I booked a reservation in the Oleno State Park the total cost for one night is 16.35 this includes tax.

Here's a link to the park's webpage but I'll post some pics and let you know what I think of it, when we get back. http://www.floridastateparks.org/oleno/

Come July I might want to join you all for a day on the Springs.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:27 pm

Lynn:

Can you check out site #31 and tell me what you think...shady, private, or whatever...it says it's pretty deep. There are some pull-through sites there too.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:38 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Steve, you don't have to reserve to go tubing but they do have a daily limit (it's pretty high) but that shouldn't be a problem. Are you and Kim going to go? It should be fun...except for the water being 72. I am trying to get a few more people to join us. We still haven't decided if we are going to camp but we have time.

I think I should be there, I'll have to check to see if Kim thinks I should be there. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:43 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
CAJUN LADY wrote:Steve, you don't have to reserve to go tubing but they do have a daily limit (it's pretty high) but that shouldn't be a problem. Are you and Kim going to go? It should be fun...except for the water being 72. I am trying to get a few more people to join us. We still haven't decided if we are going to camp but we have time.

I think I should be there, I'll have to check to see if Kim thinks I should be there. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby tinytrailer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Campsite #31 is a big one at O'Leno. The Magnolia campground is much nicer than the Dogwood sites. I have stayed in both areas, as I do like the park.I've been in #4, #6 and #48. There is swimming there too plus a neat bridge to walk over.
tinytrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info Mary Ann. It sounds like a nice campground.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:18 am

Becca,

I'll be happy to take some pics for you.

I'll also get some pricing on the tube rentals. I've tried searching online and even called the chamber of commerce in Ft. White but so far still no answers on the cost of the rentals. You are allowed to bring your own tubes but I don't have any, nor do I want to purchase something I won't be using all that often. I don't have room for the storage space. Anyway we leave tomorrow morning around 6:30 am and we'll be back by Friday afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:24 pm

Have fun Lynn and Paul :snappy: :vroom:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Yes, have lots of fun! Oh, the tube rental runs anywhere from $2.00 to $8.00 depending on what you rent. A double tube is between $5-$8. I think it's $5 to tube and around $4 to get into the park. I remember when we used to go tubing in Louisiana and it was free and you could float an ice chest with you. Good ole' days.
Lynn, find out if they let you take some type of container for water to drink. I can't imagine not being able to drink water for a 3 1/2 hour float.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks Steve & Becca

I'll check on bringing a water bottle with you on the tubing outing. I know I'll need to drink while tubing. Boy that doesn't sound right. :lol:

Anyway, the trailer is packed except for the coolers. The girls are spending the night out there tonight. Originally they wanted to sleep in the tent that goes up on the bed of our truck but decided yesterday they'd prefer to sleep in the trailer with grandma and grandpa. Obviously it will be a tight squeeze, I can't imagine what it would be like if we built a teardrop and not a TTT. :worship:

tty in a couple days.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:39 am

Okay all,

We had a wonderful time. I can't endorse Ichetucknee Springs enough. We had a blast and with temps at 100 the 72 degree water was wonderful. We took the midway river tubing trip. The girls did well but the three hours would have been a bit much for them. As it is Grandma and Grandpa are sore from all the rescuing of the girls swimming them back into the center of the river, fighting the currents. But it was well worth the effort and minor aches and pains our old bodies took.

Camping at O'Leno State Park is great. We were in site #7 and while it was an extra large site it was also a wee bit on the downward side of an incline.

Becca we couldn't find site #31. We assume we passed it because the numbers started at 32. However, the Dogwood area is better shaded. Sites are smaller and the road is a bit rougher but we had no problem going through it with our Camry. Either area is great and all the sites were good size. #5 I'm pretty sure that's the number, was absolutely huge. The swimming area was closed because the water level is down. We didn't go on the swinging bridge because of the heat and the girls wanting to swim, so we headed back to Ichetucknee, north end and swam in the swimming hole. Man was that cold but very refreshing. I believe John posted a picture of that swimming hole.

As an adult without children, I'd do the 3 hour tube ride down the river from the North end. I brought the camera and here are a few of the shots I took. (Oh, bring a ziplock baggie to protect camera) ;) The third pic is the family. Kayla is hanging upside down to cool her head in the river. I did that several times it was very refreshing.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Southeast