Ichetucknee Springs, FL.

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Ichetucknee Springs, FL.

Postby Lynn Coleman » Thu May 22, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi all,

At St. Joe's we started talking about another gathering in the fall. We were talking about Sept or Oct gathering and Ichetucknee Springs came up as a possible location.

The state park at this location does not have camping.
http://www.ichetucknee-springs.com/
However, there are a couple camping areas in the area. I'm supplying some links for everyone to check out and see what sounds best to them.

The purpose of this post is to get some discussion going so we can figure out date and location.
http://www.freecampgrounds.com/detail.aspx?id=2287

http://www.ichetuckneecanoeandcabins.net/directions/

Paul and I have been wanting to camp in this area for a year since we heard about tubing down this river.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 pm

:thinking: Since I am already signed up for LCG, I might be pushing my luck asking for more time off. I'll follow the thread and see what y'all decide on and wing it if I can. :thumbsup: Thats a 5 hour trip for me and no telling what Gas will be at that time. :roll:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Michele » Fri May 23, 2008 11:29 am

I would love to go if my trailer is finished by then. I have been tubing down this river and it's a blast! The park is very well kept.
Michele
Teardrop Master

Postby Lynn Coleman » Fri May 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Hey Mary, I hope you can make it but I do understand about time off and the price of gas.

Michele thanks for the endorsement of the tubing down stream. That will be one of the activities Paul and I will be participating in.

Any weekend sound better than another?

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Michele » Fri May 23, 2008 10:25 pm

I went in Sept. and the water was ice cold but it was still very hot outside so it was ok. I wouldn't recommend waiting until Oct. It seems like I remember hearing that the tubing part shuts down around the middle or the end of Sept. but I couldn't find anything on the website about it.
Michele
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat May 24, 2008 7:49 am

Lynn,

We drove right by the Ichetucknee Camp Ground on our way home from St Joe Peninsula. Looks like a nice place. All I can say is "lets go camping" :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tinytrailer » Sat May 24, 2008 8:21 pm

I was up that way just a few weeks ago. When I go up there, I stay at O'Leno State Park. The tubing opens around Memorial Day and does shut down around the beginning of September. The town of High Springs (very close by) has a Pioneer Days weekend each year, the 4th weekend of April, That is what I go up for each year. Arts, crafts, food and entertainment. It is a very nice area.
tinytrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby Lynn Coleman » Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 pm

tinytrailer wrote:The tubing opens around Memorial Day and does shut down around the beginning of September.

Hmm, so should we be looking into early September for this outing?

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Sun May 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Lynn,

We drove right by the Ichetucknee Camp Ground on our way home from St Joe Peninsula. Looks like a nice place. All I can say is "lets go camping" :D

Great, I'm glad someone has at least looked at the site. What's a good weekend for you and Kim?

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun May 25, 2008 11:24 pm

Lynn Coleman wrote:
Great, I'm glad someone has at least looked at the site. What's a good weekend for you and Kim?

Lynn

Yeah, gave it the 60 MPH inspection. Looked nice from the highway. As for when? I dunno, doesn't make much difference to me, Kim is in Boston til Tuesday so I can't ask her right now. The State Park stops the tubing down the river after Labor Day weekend. Maybe we need to just take a daytrip on a Thusday in August and go tubing.

Becca and Fran had mentioned something about camping at Ceday Key, but I don't remember exactly when they were talking about. It's a nice place to go too.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Lynn Coleman » Tue May 27, 2008 11:10 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
Lynn Coleman wrote:Becca and Fran had mentioned something about camping at Ceday Key, but I don't remember exactly when they were talking about. It's a nice place to go too.

I'm up for a Cedar Key trip too. I'd love to have Becca chime in on this discussion.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 am

I'm here... :)

Funny you mentioned O'Leno State Park and Ichetucknee Springs...my daughter-in-law and I were just talking last Friday about a tubing trip there. O'Leno is about 12 miles to the East and just North of High Springs, FL. The springs don't have a campground. It's a 3 hour tubing trip...there is a shorter one but 3 hours on the springs is not bad. At 72 degrees, your butt's will be numb after 3 hours.

I am trying to get in touch with Fran. It's almost 8:00 a.m. in Denver so I am trying not to ruffle her by calling too early. So, I'll give her till 8:10 then I'm calling. :lol:

That would be a lot of fun.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby john » Wed May 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Of the half dozen or so of springs that I visited My favorite was Ichetucknee. It was small and uncrowded and the few I met there were locals. My visit was in March and the the tubing was closed. The parking lot was empty except for four or five cars but there was A LOT of room for more people.

Just a quick Pic of the proposed spring.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Lynn Coleman » Thu May 29, 2008 10:54 pm

Hey John,

Thanks for the pic, the spring looks wonderful.

I'm going to look into a day trip to the springs during the third full week in June. I'll take the camera and check out the camping areas. Three of our grandchildren will be visiting that week and I'm thinking it just might be a fun activity for them on a hot summer's day.

Is labor day weekend a possible time to go camping there? It's the last available weekend for tubing. But I wonder if we would have to make reservations asap because it is a holiday weekend.

Hmm, let me hear your opinions, thanks.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby john » Thu May 29, 2008 11:40 pm

I was just passing trough the area on a much needed 3 week vacation with the family. I found during the trip that most of the inland campgrounds had available spots during the week but for weekend spots we had to call reserve America a couple days early. Coastal camping was of course always a reserve affair. Especially in the keys.

I'd reserve a spot ahead of time for any weekend site. It doesn't cost anything. 8)

Also, my wife is certainly a lot happier when we have a place to park our home.

Nights were spent in nearby Manatee Springs...

I had a moment in, again nearby, Fanning Springs...
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Next

Return to Southeast