Faver-Dykes State Park & Blue Springs

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Faver-Dykes State Park & Blue Springs

Postby Lynn Coleman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:09 am

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever camped here. It's just south of St. Augustine and I'm thinking it might be shadier than Annastasia but that's a guess on my part.

I'm also curious about Blue Springs state park in Orange City, any thoughts on this camping area?

I'm looking for feedback, let me know, thanks.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby tinytrailer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:17 pm

I went to Faver-Dykes to check it out and the ranger told me not to camp there as a single woman. They have many fishermen that drink and party in there. If you have a boat and like the water, this could be a good place. As for Blue Springs, that is not a bad place. I have never camped there but have visited it many times to see the Manatees in the Winter months.
tinytrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby Lynn Coleman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm not crazy about drunk fishermen. But Paul and I do tend to go during the middle of the week rather than weekends, perhaps it is calmer than. I'll drive through the site sometime when we go to Crescent Beach and let folks know what I see.

If anyone else has had trouble there or if you've had a good time, please let me know.

Thanks,
Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby gphockey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 am

I have tent camped at Blue Spring twice. Its not a park to miss. Very cool.
Nice swimming area with about a 100 foot aluminum dock/jumping in platform if you like 70 degree water.
A creekside boardwalk from the St Johns river to the springhead which has to be a 1/2 mile long.
Campground was pretty quiet when we were there. Sites are fairly private.
A train rumbles thru nearby on its way to Sanford a couple times a day, I think one of the runs is in the middle of the night.
Old homestead on the park grounds too.
gphockey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Lynn,

Camped at Blue Spring in the TD a couple of times. There is a really good river tour there. A worthwhile experience. Lots of manatees in the spring during the colder winter months and good swimming in the spring in the warm months. Upper St Johns river history abounds, paddle wheel riverboats worked the waters around there before he turn of the last century.

Favor-Dykes; been there in the daytime, didn't notice any problems, lots of brackish water and more of the same old Florida saw palmetto scrub and hammock. It was a pretty quiet place during the week.

In the same area, only a little farther South is Gamble Rogers State Park. The campground is on the beach side of A1A, best spots for a little trailer are the ones just to the North of the bath house. The water depth at the beach drops off pretty quickly here, good for fishing but serious undertow for swimming if the seas are up at all. Great restaurant for beach food just to the North of the park, just walk up the beach a short distance.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Lynn Coleman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:45 am

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I'm recovering from my latest surgery and have a huge camping desire to go out soon.

I'm thinking about going for the 25-28th of Sept. How's your area after Hanna?

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:06 am

Hi Lynn,

Hanna cleaned a little dead wood out of the oak trees, but left no trace beyond that, there were some extreme tides that affected some of the low ground, but that was a while ago. Should be happy camping!
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Southeast