Mardi Gras In Mississippi

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Mardi Gras In Mississippi

Postby tinksdad » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Since it's only eight weeks away, this is just a reminder that Mississippi's first gathering will be held March 6th and 7th, 2009 at Hugh White State Park just outside Grenada, MS. (I don't know the seasons; but Grenada Lake is listed as one of the premiere crappie and bass lakes in Mississippi.)

I have reserved sites 15 and 16 as a starting point. Anybody who wants to get together that weekend is more than welcome to join me. (When I was making the plans for this, I was unaware that ALL Mississippi state parks are alcohol-free; but I have dealt with that discreetly in the past!!)

I also came back from New Orleans recently where I asked my daughter for a good source for some Mardi Gras beads for this event. She sent me home with a cooler full!!! So there will be beads available. NO flashing required (unless you really feel an over-comeable desire to do so) :twisted: !!!

There is no "organized" schedule of activities as of yet. Depending on my work schedule (if I have one), I may be driving back into Memphis to work one or more days of the event.

If nobody decides to come, so be it. If it happens..."Laissez Bon Temps Roule! (Let the good times roll) ".
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby KevinS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:21 pm

I don't think anyone is interested in me flashing anything.

:fb
KevinS
Donating Member

Postby TheRedBaron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 pm

I can't commit yet but I think we are going to try to make it. Waiting to see how the wife's work schedule shapes up. I'll let you know in the next few weeks. Any other takers? 8)
TheRedBaron
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinksdad » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:05 pm

No definite commitments yet. It's still 5 1/2 weeks away. I'm hoping that as the weather starts to break, people will start to get the itch to go camping.

Either way, I will be there. I'm ready for some camping.
tinksdad
500 Club

March Gathering @ Grenada!

Postby Trail-Jammers » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 pm

That weekend sounds like a tentitiave YES for us. We've been wanting to get out for the past couple of months now and just looking at the camper in the backyard is a little depressing. :(

I don't believe that there will be much "flashing" from our end but looking will DEFINATELY happen... Ha! :o

Looking forward to meeting you guys! ;)
"When you trade magic for
fact, there are NO tradebacks."
Eddie Vedder

Check out our Gallery...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32634872@N07/?saved=1
Trail-Jammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby lisasweetie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Just to clarify, the dates are for Fri and Sat.. not Sat and Sun?? It would be a 2 day drive for me both ways. This would be my 1st event after I get my TD, and I love me some mardi gras beads.....
Lisa,

ImageImage
lisasweetie
Teardrop Master

Postby tinksdad » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 am

I guess I should have described the dates better. I figured Friday night and Saturday night with checkout on Sunday was the weekend for most folks.

It's only about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I figured I could leave late on Sunday and still be home in time to be to work at 4:45AM Monday morning. I'll probably go out Thursday night as well and make the round trip to work on Friday. (I will still be on 90 day probation at my new job and can't afford to take any days off yet.)

Looking forward to meeting one and all.

P.S. The "flashing" comment was all in fun.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby conbrio » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 pm

While I can't promise I am trying to talk the wife into going down to MS to see family. Her parents live in Batesville. Not too far from the camping spot.

Conbrio
conbrio
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinksdad » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:04 pm

As I stated earlier, the "flashing" comment was made in jest. The beads are for real though.

This is what my daughter sent me home from New Orleans with on my last visit....

I am going to try to come up with a different container before the event. Might try my hand at building a small treasure chest, if I can squeeze it in with the rest of the projects!! If I get it done and it turns out nice, I may just use it for a door prize.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby tinksdad » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 pm

Mardi Gras in Mississippi officially kicks off 4 weeks from tomorrow afternoon/evening. I am hoping for an unseasonably warm weekend; but I just Googled the average temps for that time of year for that part of Mississippi. Day time temps should be all right. Night time temps could go as low as 40 degrees.

So far, I have received 4 definite "maybes". I decided to "up the ante" a little bit. If nobody has an objection to a pot luck on Saturday, I have a nice supply of these in my freezer.
Half wrapped with bacon, half without. If I have a close approximation of how many are planning on attending, I can get more on a relatively short notice. (3 or 4 days.)
I will have to get a larger grill to cook them on. My little picnic table grill just won't cut it.

If my present work schedule doesn't change, my trailer will be there all day Friday; but I may not be there until around 6:00PM. There is the possibility that I may get switched to second shift before then. If that happens, my trailer will still be there, but I won't get there until about 2 in the morning. Either way, I should be there all day Saturday and Sunday.

I still have to check on a supply of wood for a camp fire.
tinksdad
500 Club

Pot Luck...

Postby Trail-Jammers » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:27 pm

My husband told me about the Mardi Gras idea, and I got excited! I can't wait to get camping! I think even if it is cool at night we can get a great campfire going and enjoy! Also, we can get as much wood as you guys might need, we have some trees that really need to come down, and that gives us an excuse to get off of our lazy #@%!

We are originally from Texas and we can make our famous black-bean cheese dip. How many would we need to supply for, etc...

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Eddie Vedder

Check out our Gallery...
Trail-Jammers
Teardrop Builder

Re: Pot Luck...

Postby tinksdad » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:24 am

Trail-Jammers wrote: an excuse to get off of our lazy #@%!

We are originally from Texas and we can make our famous black-bean cheese dip. How many would we need to supply for, etc...

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I can relate to that part!!!! Especially when it comes to the teardrop which seems to be never finished. I just recently added 110 circuitry and haven't finished enclosing the raceway. I still haven't finished up the 12V interior lighting and hiding the wiring for that either. The tongue box is still sitting in the spare bedroom. Not to mention the tile floor that I have to replace after my water leak problem this winter.

But to answer your other question. Bring what you feel comfortable with. I will post numbers as the date draws closer to try to give those attending time to prepare. Right now, it looks like a small gathering; which I kind of expected for the first time. I figure the numbers will grow the more we get together. And like everybody else after this winter; I just feel the need to get out and camp. Even if it just turns out to be a weekend B/S session amongst friends, it's a start for this area.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby conbrio » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Well I tried to make arrangements to go down there for the weekend, but I can't this time. I have to make a trip to Memphis in 2 weeks and see my brother and his family (they have a new addition) and I can't afford a second trip down that way so soon after.
conbrio
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pot Luck...

Postby Trail-Jammers » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:10 pm

tinksdad wrote: an excuse to get off of our lazy #@%!
I can relate to that part!!!! Especially when it comes to the teardrop which seems to be never finished. I just recently added 110 circuitry and haven't finished enclosing the raceway. I still haven't finished up the 12V interior lighting and hiding the wiring for that either. The tongue box is still sitting in the spare bedroom. Not to mention the tile floor that I have to replace after my water leak problem this winter.
Even if it just turns out to be a weekend B/S session amongst friends, it's a start for this area.

WE can definately RELATE to not being finished with the Camper...

However, we did get off our lazy #@%! and pull the camper out of the backyard, got everything cleaned out, bug bombed (just in case) and some more lights installed.

We will definately be ready for a good time by March! 8)

We're in for sure.. Any other "committers" yet??? :roll:
Eddie Vedder

Check out our Gallery...
Trail-Jammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby tinksdad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Just the two of you and me so far. Still some maybes. But that could change. I'm hoping it changes. If not, that's more steak for us.

I guess it's not to soon for me to start thinking about what kind of side dish I can do up in the crockpot to go with the meal.
tinksdad
500 Club

Next

Return to Southeast