Camping at Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach Assistance Please

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Camping at Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach Assistance Please

Postby johnc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:09 pm

I am admittedly a little embarassed to admit I have never travelled more southeast than Washington D.C. To that end, I am entertaining a 10 day trip from Toronto, Ontario and am looking for advice on camping locations in either Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach or to be honest any area along the coast between the two that you would recommend. I am hoping to find a campsite that allows a campfire at night and is within a short walk to the bathrooms and shower facilities. I don't mind taking a short drive to the beach at all and I'm sure that opens up a few doors for me say less than 20 minutes or so. If anyone out there can recommend a good location I would greatly appreciate it.

John
johnc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmckruit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 pm

It depends on the type of camping experience you are looking for and what time of year you wish to go.

As far as Myrtle Beach goes there are many campgrounds in the area. Two summers ago we stayed at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach and had a blast. The campground is along the beach and have two sections. One is a shaded area that is farther away from the beach and the other is a sunny area (very little trees) which is closer to the beach. To get to the beach its only a 5 minute walk from the farthest campsite. The campground has several pools and a lazy river. I don't believe they allow campfires, but the Ocean Lakes campground which is next door does. If you go in the middle of the summer it is far too hot for campfires anyway. The only drawback to Pirateland is all the people driving golf carts everywhere. If you want to stay in a state park, Myrtle Beach State Park is a mile up the road. Myrtle Beach doesn't have a boardwalk but has some shopping areas that are similar (Broadway on the Beach, Barefoot Landing).

We went to Virginia Beach this summer and stayed at the Holiday TravL Park. The campground had 4 swimming pools but was a 3 mile drive to get to the beach. This was more of an inconvenience because you had to lug all your gear and find a place to park, whereas at myrtle beach you could just walk back to your campsite. You are allowed campfires here, but again it was too hot for a fire. There are several other campgrounds including a state park campground in the area. Virginia Beach has a boardwalk area.

Your from Toronto, so you will definately see your fellow Canadians both at Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach. We went to both places in late July and early August and about 90% of the campgrounds were filled with Quebeqouis. The whole providence must shut down that time of year or something.

You can also try Ocean City Maryland and stay at Frontiertown. I have never stayed there but I hear its nice.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby oldgrunt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:46 am

:) I live in Murrells Inlet SC just 10 miles south of Myrtle Beach. Hunington Beach state park is just 20 minutes south of Myrtle Beach and is a great place.
Eric
Semper Fi
oldgrunt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:12 pm

I like Myrtle beach State Park.....It has everything you mentioned .. plus you can walk outside the campground and right onto the beach....We plan to be there this Thursday-Sunday 8)
Stan and Deb
stman
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmckruit » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:04 pm

^I'm jealous. That's one of my fantasies is to spend Thanksgiving camping at Myrtle Beach (even though your going after the fact). I even have the meal planned out (Turkey Stuffing Casserole) in a dutch oven, with side dishes and desserts cooked also in dutch ovens.

I'm going to Disney World the week of Dec 13th, so I guess I can't complain too much. Not camping though.
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Return to Southeast