How to get plates for tear in Florida?

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

How to get plates for tear in Florida?

Postby Puxesaco » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Can someone advise me on the correct and most painless way to get plates for a tear? If it's brand new with clear title bought from another state, what do I need to do? I'm in Hillsborough County.

Thanks!
Puxesaco
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi! I'm in Hillsborough County too and when I registered my Tear it didn't have a VIN # so they issued me one. I told them it was a home built enclosed trailer. I brought the Bill of Sale and that was all. It wasn't hard at all to get tags.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Re: How to get plates for tear in Florida?

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Puxesaco wrote:Can someone advise me on the correct and most painless way to get plates for a tear? If it's brand new with clear title bought from another state, what do I need to do? I'm in Hillsborough County.

Thanks!

The most painless way is take your title to the DMV tell the guy at the front desk you want to register a trailer, he will assign you a number. When your number is called and they tell you which window to go to, tell the clerk you want to register your trailer and hand them the title. Don't offer any other information unless asked, then be brief, the less they know the easier it is. Trust me.... 8)

I've registered lots of trailers in Florida and some of them weren't even mine. :twisted:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby zapj » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 am

I have to agree with Steve on the less information volunteered the better. In your case the trailer was titled in another state so the type of trailer is not in question and the process should be straight forward. For those who are home building and curious here is why I say follow Steve's advice. When I began building I called the local Tax Collector and requested info on registering and tag requirements. After being directed to multiple online forms I was told that after the build was completed an inspection (fee required) would be set up and bring the completed forms and all receipts. Needles to say I thought this to be more bureaucratic mumbo jumbo. I decided to take the bill of sale received for the custom built trailer frame and present it with a request for a tag. Of course the bill of sale had all pertinent information like material specs, axel weight, and vin # assigned along with cost without tax. I simply requested to register my trailer after having it on my property for a couple of years. No questions asked...no additional information given just paid my state tax and fee for a tag. Gee, I just did what my government said at the time. :roll:

jim
zapj
Donating Member

Postby ktnc30 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Florida asked me how much mine weighed. If its over 500lbs, you have to get it weighed and bring them the weigh slip before they will give you a tag. It is better to not give info unless asked and you should also know the requirements before you go in cause if you answer wrong, you may have to do things such as weighing. I told them the trailer weighed 250, what I bolt to it or load on it wasnt their concern.
ktnc30
Teardrop Builder

Postby zapj » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:07 am

Another tip that may be helpful concerning weight. If you are having the frame built as I did tell the builder what you expect the finished trailer to weigh and have that added to the bill of sale. I told the builder mine should weigh between #1000 and #1500. He built with a #2000 axel added 1000 lbs as a weight. I had the trailer weighed after the tag and on the scales it was #1250. Nowhere on the bill did it say anything about a camper, however on the manufactures sticker to be place on the frame it did have 'camper' labeled with the vin #. I guess it depends on what county you are in and how energetic the workers are on the day you visit.
;)
zapj
Donating Member

Postby arnko37 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:30 am

Florida does not issue titles on trailers that weight less than 2000 lbs which saves you the $70 title fee. However you must first take the trailer to a certified scale(I used a moving company) and they will give you a form with your weight, serial # etc. Then you go to the tax collector and pay the sales tax and registration fee for a plate.
arnko37
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Southeast