campground opinions ??

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

campground opinions ??

Postby mary and bob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Look out!! Here comes some more retired Yankee snowbirds! We plan to head south the end of november with our final destination Jekyll Island Georgia. We have been there many times, but this will be the first time with a camper. We are thinking of stopping at Myrtle Beach state park for a couple days. Anyone have any opinions of it, or any other campground recomendations. We are bringing our Uhaul camper, not the teardrop. Also, anybody know any good Yankee jokes. Don't worry , we'll only be down there for three weeks so as not to be too much trouble. :lol: :lol: Mary & Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Myrtle Beach State Park

Postby Alfred » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi Mary and Bob,

Myrtle Beach SC State Park is a family favorite, we go every Summer. It is clean, there is a nice ranger station general store, campground is close to beach access, there is fishing pier. When you are in the park, you feel "away from it all", but once out of the park, you are nearby Walmart, the Grand Strand, many restaurants, shopping, tourists stuff. More pancake houses in a row than I've ever counted, several buffets, etc. Myrtle beach itself is touristy, although the park is away from traffic.

If you want something nice, but more secluded, consider Huntington Beach SC State Park, about 30 miles South. Campground again is not far from the beach, the campsites are larger, but less shaded than at Myrtle Beach. It is near Murrells Inlet, which is a fishing area. Several seafood restaurants nearby. We camped at Huntington Beach two years ago, because Myrtle Beach was booked-up. Both Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park are very nice and recommended.

My family likes Myrtle Beach better because there is more to do, especially for the kids. Huntington Beach is in a less touristy area.

Do be aware though that no alcohol is allowed in any SC state park.

There are also several private campgrounds near Myrtle Beach, but I've never stayed in any of them.

Some pictures from our last Myrtle Beach camping here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=45582&highlight=maiden

AL :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Al: Thanks for that info, we generaly don't use any alcoholic beverages, so no problem there. We only plan maybe two nights at Myrtle Beach, but might go for Huntington instead. We have been through Myrtle Beach only once, stopped at Cracker Barrel to eat, and back on the road. Mary hates to see big hotels on the beach, we're not into touristy stuff much, just bike some, and walk or sit on the beach. No Yankee jokes?? Never gave it much thought until we were on the ferry boat to Cumberland Island GA and a local guy came out with a few after he found out we were from up north. They were pretty funny! Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Southern camping

Postby Alfred » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Hey Mary & Bob,

My ol'man was a yankee from upstate New York, in the mountains. He was stationed in the South when he was in the Navy and he never went back up north.

He told a story about getting off the bus, stopping at a diner and trying grits for the first time. He put sugar and milk in them, like cream of wheat, and the waitress said, "you must be a yankee, because you just ruined them grits". Anyone southern knows the way to eat grits is with butter and salt, maybe a little pepper.

My Mama was from Alabama. I was raised in Tampa area of Florida, which is about as far South as you can go, and still be considered a yankee, by some. So I'm Southern by the grace of God, but with enough yankee in me to be held questionable, probably.

As far as kiddin' ya - I figure y'all have it bad enough already, being from somewhere you can never find any decent grits to go with your eggs, or southern fried chicken with white flour gravy, macaroni and cheese, or fried okra for dinner, or boiled peanuts for a snack, or banana pudding or sweet potato pie for dessert. Plus, the tea don't come sweet, unless you ask for it that way, even then they're likely to give you sugar packets! So far be it from me to tell any yankee jokes! Y'all got it bad enough as it is! LOL!

Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park are on the same road, about 30 miles apart, and you will come to Myrtle Beach first, so you could check them both out.

I think if you want something a little quieter, Huntington Beach would be the way to go. Part of Huntington is sort of a marshland/estuary, too. I bet it would be nice for biking. But really, they're both great parks, you can't go wrong either way.

4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:49 am

Al: Whereabouts in NY? We are considered upstate, so we make fun of the NY city people. Your father was a smart yankee, he saw how great the south was and went there to stay. Mary likes grits, she made a good macaroni & cheese when she was school cook, when kids see her they ask "when are you coming back and make mac & cheese?" I'm too used to roasted peanuts, haven't aquired the taste for the boiled ones yet. They have a saying in Maine to people that weren't born there, "you must be from away", must be a similar saying in your part of the country. We have always found southeners to be very friendly, and have a more relaxed attitude. Now if I can just learn to hide my yankee accent!! :lol: Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby hoytedow » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:59 am

I think you would like Little Pee Dee River State Park. I know I did: http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park- ... mping.aspx
Happy trails,
Hoyt
hoytedow
Teardrop Master

Postby pjsauls » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am

To answer Bob's question - "[i]They have a saying in Maine to people that weren't born there, "you must be from away", must be a similar saying in your part of the country. "[/i]

The answer is "You ain't from around here are you?" :)

John
"Fate is the hunter for those least prepared." -Ernest K. Gann
pjsauls
Donating Member

Yankees

Postby Alfred » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 am

pjsauls wrote:The answer is "You ain't from around here are you?" :)

John

Yes, that's the answer!

Dad used to mention a lot of different names where he had lived up there, Pearl River, Pleasant Valley (or was it Spring Valley?), Nanuet. When he was a kid, apparently it was up in the mountains, though. Not in the city. He said he went to a one-room school.

Of course, a lot of snowbirds move to Florida, then decide to move again to the mountains of NC. Around here they call them "half-backs", meaning they moved "halfway back up North".

When I finally traded in my Florida Driver's License for a NC Driver's License, I told a friend from around these parts, "Now that I have a NC license, I won't have to use my turn signals anymore". She didn't miss a beat, told me, "Yeah, but now that you don't have a Florida license, you can't drive down a mountain road at 5 miles an hour riding the brake, either"! LOL!

I've heard good things about the Little Pee Dee River State Park, too. But I haven't ever camped there.

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Beware, the evil Yankee snowbirds are now on southern soil. We stayed one night at each campground, Myrtle Beach, Huntington Beach, Edisto, and Hunting Island. All of them nice, but liked Huntington and Hunting Island the best. Didn't get to Pee Dee river yet. Thanks for all the opinions.
mary and bob
500 Club

Great!

Postby Alfred » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 pm

mary and bob wrote:Beware, the evil Yankee snowbirds are now on southern soil. We stayed one night at each campground, Myrtle Beach, Huntington Beach, Edisto, and Hunting Island. All of them nice, but liked Huntington and Hunting Island the best. Didn't get to Pee Dee river yet. Thanks for all the opinions.

Great! I thought y'all would like Huntington Beach, both Myrtle Beach and Huntington are great parks. We have not been to Hunting Island yet, but I've heard great things about it from other campers. Enjoy the vacation!

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Return to Southeast