Howdy

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Howdy

Postby Hazy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Hey there,

Looks like you folks are having a blast!
With a little luck, maybe Cindy and I can join you before too many moons.

Problem is, that my woodworking skills are nonexistent. So I’m going to be one of those that admires the skill that folks put into there own Tears, but end up buying rather than building.

With that in mind, anyone knows of someone here in the south that custom builds?
Seems like all the manufacturer links are for folks on the northern border of the country or way out west. I’ll head that way if need be, but thought I’d ask here in my home region first.

Thanks y’all!

Keith
:)
Hazy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Stephen G. » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:58 pm

Welcome to the board Keith! We hope to meet you soon. I'm sure there is somebody close by that will custom build a tear for you ;) so you can start having some fun :D

Best wishes
Steve and Lisa
Stephen G.
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Check with Steve Frederick. He's in upstate New York and he may also have a tear for sale.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:21 am

...welcome Hazy, buying is certainly an option however we have a member who self-admitedly had less than no skills in woodworking by the name of Irarat...he bought a set of plans from Kuffel Creek and is approaching the end of his build, so think twice about the build it yourself part. If Ira can doit so can you. Building it yourself without skills would be educational, fufilling and would surely bolster your confidence level on any future projects plus all of us would get a real hoot outta your question...I know we have outta Ira, who can be justifiably proud of his accomplishments
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:23 am

Hazy, welcome to the group,, ditto on what Madjack said,, there is a lot of experience out there that can help ya over a speed bump in building,, but if build is just not an option I might consider a sell after october.. I and all of the local guys will be more than happy to help in a build bprject though and the pride you will have in your finished trailer will be worth every min ov the build,,

welcome again

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:46 am

Hey Keith,

Ditto on everything MadJack and Chip said. If Ira can do it ANYBODY can. With little or no woodworking skills, Ira has a beautiful looking tear so far. I live outside of West Jefferson NC , which is about an hour north of Boone. I am in Charlotte at least once a week on business. I lived there for close to 40 years and finally couldn't take the rat race anymore.

Hope you can make it to one of our gatherings real soon.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:17 am

Welcome. We were talking about doing a Tear Raising, but seriously if help is needed there are a bunch of us here in the southeast that can help you out. Come see how easy they are to build yourself. We will be in Davidson River campground not too far from you in October.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hazy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:42 pm

Thanks for the words of encourgement. While I'll put my home built computers up against any, I'm still stinging from the birdhouses I built last spring.

I never knew that Carolina wrens had such a wicked sense of humor. They took one look at the house and then spent the rest of the day rolling around on the ground laughing!
Hazy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:35 am

Hazy, any "skill" is acquired. What you need is the ability and desire to learn. I wasn't aware that I had any real woodworking skills until I tried. I started desiging and building things like a rocking horse and rocking chair for my grandkids with hand tools, and they were not perfect. My wife convinced me that I should try building and selling in local craft shows. I invested in workshop tools (radial saw, bench sander, drill press, band saw) and found that I actually could build and sell things. With the right quipment and tools, my skills improved, as did my crafts. I didn't make a lot of money (I did one $400 day at a large show and that was in the 80s), but it did pay for all of my work shop equipment. Later, I landed a weekend job in my workshop building counter displays for a small company that sold baby products, and stopped doing craft shows. On that one, I did make money.

With that new confidence, I wanted to add to my "skills", so I took night adult ed classes in block laying, carpentry, and furniture upholstry. I learned to do basic home improvement, electrical and plumbing work. I built two decks and a utility shed for my homes. I converted an unfinished lower level in one home to a paneled rec room and two bedrooms. I found that I could learn to do anything I wanted to if I wanted to badly enough. I'll bet Ira and many others found out the same thing. So, don't say you don't have the skills. You never know until you try. :thumbsup: (But, I found that I DO NEED THE RIGHT TOOLS to be successful at anything I try.)
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Southeast