Alto Winter Warrior now with plans

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Alto Winter Warrior now with plans

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:56 pm

After seeing the Alto again the other day, and also in the quest of designing an extended stay TTT, I tried to marry some of the feature of the Alto to the features of the Winter Warrior.

This baby starts out at 16ft long and 6 ft high. And upon it's arrival at a campground the top pops up and it's quite a large TTT. As you might see, the target was 72" of headroom throughout the trailer, and as it works out, it's actually quite a bit more.

Of course it may never get built, or if it did, it wouldn't be for a number of years yet. I don't need something to live in full time until I retire and migrate to Naples, FL every year for 3 months.

But just for fun, I thought I'd share the screenshot of this monster with you... The red profile is the hatch in the down position, and the green profile is the hatch in the up position.

BTW, that's a dutch door, so you can get into the thing when the top is down.

Also, that little triangle thing in the back is a flip up wall, that you flip up after you've raised the top... :?

So, besides it being way toooooo big for this forum, any other comments?

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Only one comment...we're not supposed to enable Scott (Starleen2)... :lol:

But the thought of a dutch door on a ww design makes sense. My first pop-up camper had a dutch door so you could stick stuff in when in travel mode. Very handy...
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

i like it

Postby laoutdoorsman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:16 pm

i wish i had seen it about a month ago...
mike breaux...its pronounced "bro".....
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Re: i like it

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:21 pm

laoutdoorsman wrote:i wish i had seen it about a month ago...

Do you really need that kind of space? This design is for camping with the wife and 2 dogs for 3 months at a time.

If you are camping solo, you can probably get by with a much smaller design.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

true..

Postby laoutdoorsman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:52 pm

probably not...but i will be "semi-living" in my camper after its built for probably a year...i wish i had designed it a little more tow friendly...when i started, i wasnt planning on towing it much...now, im going "mobile" for a while......

thats kind of why im at a standstill...i dont want to do too much more...thinking about tearing down and starting over... :shock: :shock:

16 is a lil much for solo, i agree...i only need 10 or 12 feet of living...but need storage...my suv(nissan xterra) is very small inside(no cargo room)...

ill probably stay with what i got...just thinking out loud the past few days... ;) ;)
mike breaux...its pronounced "bro".....
i think i should have taken notes along the way, because ive forgotten waaaay more than i remember...
laoutdoorsman
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:05 pm

You could check out my 13' design, but honestly, your best bet is to rent one of those storage spaces that look like a garage... and then just take with you what you need to live.

I don't know if this is enough storage space. Only you can determine that.

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:05 pm

OMG - Mike you've done it again - if it were in St. Louis we'd call it the Arch! :thinking: maybe shortening it up a notch and lowering it down from 72' so where it just fits in the garage - fold out rear with NO door :thinking: :twisted:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:08 pm

starleen2 wrote:OMG - Mike you've done it again - if it were in St. Louis we'd call it the Arch! :thinking: maybe shortening it up a notch and lowering it down from 72' so where it just fits in the garage - fold out rear with NO door :thinking: :twisted:

Hmmm.. I think we're on a roll... when are you allowed to build again? Jan 1st?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Does the flip wall have a window in it? The drawing only shows one tiny porthole window in the door...might want more light.

What does the inside look like? Never mind....It looks like you posted a drawing of the inside while I was writing this.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Does the flip wall have a window in it? The drawing only shows one tiny porthole window in the door...might want more light.

What does the inside look like? Never mind....It looks like you posted a drawing of the inside while I was writing this.

Sharon,

The 3D design posted up there is of an older, 13' design. I have not even had a chance to think about the interior design of the Alto Winter Warrior. I was just glad that the 2D profile even worked!!!

Yes, it would get more windows, but certainly not as many as the Alto. I prefer NOT to live in a fish bowl!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rrawlings » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Do you have other views of this design? And do you mind if somebody steals your design? I really want to build a TD design trailer with a vintage profile, the wife wants a standie. This is about the size I have been mulling around in my empty head. I want to have one at least 6'6" wide inside for crossways sleeping. I know a little about fiberglass layup and have industry contacts to help out. I would think that a foam and minimal wood structure in the roof could yield a lightweight strong workable structure. We are planning this build for the winter here to have it campable for a cross country trip in the spring, Utah to NY and back. 2 adults 2 kids and a traditional tear just won't fit.
He who dies with the most "finished" toys wins. To bad I have so many "projects"
rrawlings
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:31 pm

rrawlings wrote:Do you have other views of this design? And do you mind if somebody steals your design? I really want to build a TD design trailer with a vintage profile, the wife wants a standie. This is about the size I have been mulling around in my empty head. I want to have one at least 6'6" wide inside for crossways sleeping. I know a little about fiberglass layup and have industry contacts to help out. I would think that a foam and minimal wood structure in the roof could yield a lightweight strong workable structure. We are planning this build for the winter here to have it campable for a cross country trip in the spring, Utah to NY and back. 2 adults 2 kids and a traditional tear just won't fit.

I just did the rough profile this afternoon. But if you like it I can expand it a little bit further. Maybe even do an inside layout.

If you want to "steal" the design I would be flattered. I can either put it on a 3" grid so you can lay it out on your plywood, or I can make a drawing of the side profile with some dimensions.

Of course, the rest would be up to you!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rrawlings » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:41 pm

I am thinking bunks at the front that convert to a couch on the door side a shoilet (shower toilet pan combo) with a curtain above to draw around as a ring and the kitchenette on the street side of the trailer and a queen size dinette bed combo at the back.
He who dies with the most "finished" toys wins. To bad I have so many "projects"
rrawlings
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:45 pm

rrawlings wrote:I am thinking bunks at the front that convert to a couch on the door side a shoilet (shower toilet pan combo) with a curtain above to draw around as a ring and the kitchenette on the street side of the trailer and a queen size dinette bed combo at the back.

Sounds almost like the Alto interior to me. Very do-able I would think...

So are you ready to start building?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rrawlings » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:02 pm

I am waiting for a friend to come and get a BMW Z3 out of my garage and then construction begins. I am almost beside myself waiting to start on this. I hope to start before the end of Oct. I plan on doing a full glass skin on whatever we build and painting in base clear auto finish. Birch or maple ply interior. This whole build combines a couple of my passions, wood and metal.
rrawlings
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to General Discussion