Camp - Inn Design (Pattern)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Camp - Inn Design (Pattern)

Postby Roberto » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:18 am

Well, the 5 x 9 trailer is done and I've decided that I want to build a Camp-Inn shape TD. Does anyone know where I can get the pattern, or instructions on how to draw that particular shape TD.

Thanks,
Bob
Roberto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BrianB » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:44 am

My first design was a copy of the Camp-Inn. I wanted to build a clone because a) I was too broke to afford a Camp-Inn b) I'd rather build than buy. Much more fulfilling, imo. I honestly believe Cary could have a whole side business just selling Camp-Inn plans and/or kits. They've managed to design the Shelby Cobra of teardrop trailers. :lol:

Anyway, here's the thread:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1541

It's not an exact replica, but it's an homage to the beautiful curves of the Camp-Inn.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby Betsey » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Bob,

They don't have templates of their teardrop profile available. The exact profile is kind of a trade secret. However, there are ways for you to get really close. Check out Trail-of-Tears' Camp-Inn clone. If you can find an owner, you could take measurements. Craig suggested you find a side view photo of a Camp-Inn, from either the Camp-Inn website or an owner from this forum. Enlarge the photo as much as you can and transfer it onto graph paper. Then determine the scale you are using. Camp-Inn teardrops are 8' long from the front of the trailer (excluding front storage box) to the tail end. Ideally, if you have a photo of a profile that shows the body 8" long, then 1"= 1'. Trace it onto grid paper and you can enlarge it on to a sheet of plywood.

They do sell door kits and various parts, you just have to email Cary. So much of what they do is of a specialized nature that it makes it somewhat difficult to put it into plans or kits.

Hope this helps.
Betsey
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roberto » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:27 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do.

Bob
Roberto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:47 pm

I've seen chassis plans with 2x2 angle iron... the lightweight version was 1/4" think... the robust version was 3/8" thick.

Of course for tongues, I'd have to send you over to Andrew... he has tongues down to a science! :lol:

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:54 pm

:R :R :R :laughter: Oops.........is that off-topic?
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby cracker39 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Roberto, if you find a good profile shot of the Camp Inn, or clone that looks suitable to you, if you email it to me, I'll create a scale drawing for you. My Visio graphics program is dimension oriented, and it will be easy to scale the photo and use it to create a line drawing. I like playing with the graphics anyway.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby norm perkiss » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 pm

Roberto,

I have been working on a design based on the CampInn. It's not an exact profile but pretty close. The internal divisions of space are my own guest-ta-met. You can order complete doors with templates from CampInn.

It will be cut from a 4x8' sheet of ply. It is 8' long minus a smidge.

Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques