Outside electric/cable hookup

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Outside electric/cable hookup

Postby Arne » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:48 am

On my tear drop, I have an exterior 'trap door' installed. I lift the door and push an extension cord through the hole to the interior where it connects to a power strip.

Since I installed it on the wrong side (passenger side; most all 'real campers' have it on the driver side), I would like to get a unit to install in the wall which has a male plug on the outside and a female on the inside, so the cord can be plugged outside.... if I can get one with a cable tv receptacle, that would be a real bonus, then I would not have to pass any cables through the wall and hooking up would be much easier.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:11 am

We buy ours from the local RV dealer. They call it a motor base...

I've also seen something similar at a boat dealer... where they call it a charger inlet...
http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overton ... gi?34531++

But typically, I've had a hard time finding these on the web...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Waliczek » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:14 pm

I just purchased one this Sat. from KC Travel and RV in KCK, a parts outlet for campers and trailer. Called an Inlet recepticle, has a a spring loaded cover. neat, Cost was $9.99. Owner also tried to explain to me the need for a Converter, rather then a Batterycharger. He had a unit, that was a Converter/Charger. He stated that with a charger only, the voltages, spikes, from a high of about 16V to 12 volts, and becomes hard on your electronic equipment. He stted that the converter filters out the spikes, and give a more uniform voltages and current. The unit he showed me, was rated at 20 Amp, which he assured me was more then I should need in a tear. $159.99. I also purchased a couple of drop down trailer jacks for $17.99 each. I'll bolt these to the rear frame of the trailer.
I was surprised at the amount he wanted for 14Ga. wire. .29 cents per foot. I thought I would look around a little.
Tom
"Toys"--2003 Dodge Dakota--TT Rimple"Gypsy"--1955 Boles Aero Travel Trailer--2002 Sweetwater 20' Pontoon--1982 22' Mcgregor sailboat..
Waliczek
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:22 am

I have two rv places within a half hour drive and will visit them and see what they have. Thank you for the information. I am hoping to get one with a cable interface as well, but I might have to make that up myself.

I found on my trip, I had no need for jacks. The slipper spring squeaked once in a while when getting in and out. On a few ocassions, I had to put 2x6 block under one wheel to level side to side. When disconnected from the car (about 1/2 the time on the trip), I put a piece of 2x3 in front of the wheel, and pushing back on the top of the wheel against that piece, stuck another piece in the front. That wedged the tire well on each side of the tear and I had no trouble. The trailer jack was used to level front to back by eye. I had tought about putting bubble levels on, but really don't think they are necessary... but I don't have a galley and no cooking (pots and pans to slide around)... just sleeping.

One place, we parked over looking a lake and went off to supper. All I could think of was some kid being funny and pulling out the blocks and my tear becoming a boat.... it can be moved around so easily, I'm thinking about some way to lock the wheels so it can't be moved when I'm gone.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:17 pm

Go to westmarine.com they have all kinds of shorepower connections including the charger inlet fittings page 624 and 652 and 653. They also have one for cable TV hookup with I believe a telephone hookup as well. That is were I got mine from.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion