Portable Solar Panel Review

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Portable Solar Panel Review

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Okay, okay! This is the last solar panel I'm going to buy. :lol: I've gone overboard on solar panels but here's a review of a portable solar panel I got off eBay. Its for the days I camp in the shade.

Its an 80 watt solar panel that folds in half and sits on the ground. It has a leg in the back to tilt it up towards the sun. It also came with a travel bag:

The connections are all on the back. I've got 25' of good marine #12awg for a extension cord, should only be around 2% voltage drop. It came with about 8' of #18 wire with alligator clamps on it. I cut that off and added a connector to the alligator clamps so I can connect the panel directly to a battery if I need to.

Here's the name plate data, nothing really good or a really bad.

The on-board controller is nothing special but it works. Its NOT weatherproof, though the panel will likely keep it from getting too wet in the rain. I added a connection so I can power the trailer using the on-board controller or I can connect it to the MPPT controller that runs the roof top panels.

Here's the output in watts using the on-board panel controller. It was a cloudy day so the panel wasn't putting out a lot. I had tested it earlier and it was putting out 65 watts in good sun.

Here's the output in watts using the MPPT controller, about 15% better. I compared the output from the on-board controller with a Sunsaver 10 PWM controller as well and found an identical output. The on-board controller has an acceptable efficiency level so I'll keep it and that way I can plug the panel directly into a 12V cigarette outlet using an adapter (Doug are you listening?).

Here's the panel folded half. It has a handle as well as a latch to keep it closed. It will ride in the compartment behind it in this picture:

So what's the bottom line? Its a nice panel if you don't want to put a panel on your roof or you camp in the shade a lot. The power output is what can be expected for an 80 watt panel and should be enough to keep up with most peoples usage. The wires that came with the panel are a little small for my likes but that's an easy enough fix. The only down side to it is its kind of heavy at around 25 pounds and you'll have to watch it to make sure it doesn't grow legs and walk away. The on-board controller is a little suspect as its not weatherproof so I'll be watching to make sure it doesn't get wet. The plus side is you can move it around and track the sun for maximum output. The panel is being listed on eBay for $266 which is a good price when you consider it comes with a controller.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ward » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Did everything ffor the panel come from ebay? I love ebay it's what got me started here. 8)
07' Harley Street Bob
04 f350 4x4 powerstroke
10' GMC Acadia 8 passenger SLT (TV)

***NO REGRETS******
Ward
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chorizon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:55 pm

That is really compact! I base that on my recently acquired 45W HF solar panel system. I'm just getting started in solar and that looks like a great deal! I'll stick with what I have and finish the "setup" I have in mind before getting something else. Looks really cool, though! :thumbsup:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby AZSpyder » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:35 pm

I have been watching some of the 80 watt units on Ebay. Seemed like the way to go but just today I received a coupon to get Harbor Freight's 45 watt kit for $169. From the listing and on line I just can't see what exactly they look like. On line they call them three 15 watt panels and the coupon picture looks like an angles stand on the back. Are these three separate panels with three separate stands?
Jerry
AZSpyder
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Ward wrote:Did everything ffor the panel come from ebay? I love ebay it's what got me started here. 8)

Everything but the meter. Here's a link:
eBay Linky

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:18 pm

AZSpyder wrote:I have been watching some of the 80 watt units on Ebay. Seemed like the way to go but just today I received a coupon to get Harbor Freight's 45 watt kit for $169. From the listing and on line I just can't see what exactly they look like. On line they call them three 15 watt panels and the coupon picture looks like an angles stand on the back. Are these three separate panels with three separate stands?
Jerry

Yup, three separate panels. But think about this:

$269 / 80 watts = $3.36/watt for the eBay panel.
$169 / 45 watts = $3.75/watt for the HF panel.

True, the HF panel comes with an inverter and lights. But, the panels aren't as efficient so they take up more space. The HF panels have mixed reviews, you might do a search at the solar forum Northern Arizona Wind & Sun and see what you come up with. Some people really like them, some don't. I haven't tinkered with them so I don't know much about them.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:29 pm

chorizon wrote:That is really compact! I base that on my recently acquired 45W HF solar panel system. I'm just getting started in solar and that looks like a great deal! I'll stick with what I have and finish the "setup" I have in mind before getting something else. Looks really cool, though! :thumbsup:

Make sure to post some pics to your build thread!
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:21 am

AZSpyder wrote:I have been watching some of the 80 watt units on Ebay. Seemed like the way to go but just today I received a coupon to get Harbor Freight's 45 watt kit for $169. From the listing and on line I just can't see what exactly they look like. On line they call them three 15 watt panels and the coupon picture looks like an angles stand on the back. Are these three separate panels with three separate stands?
Jerry

They are three separate panels on one cheesy (needs to be chunked and remade) stand.
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 am

bdosborn wrote:
chorizon wrote:That is really compact! I base that on my recently acquired 45W HF solar panel system. I'm just getting started in solar and that looks like a great deal! I'll stick with what I have and finish the "setup" I have in mind before getting something else. Looks really cool, though! :thumbsup:

Bruce

I will definitely do that! I snagged some real nice aluminum piano hinge from work the other day and am planning on mounting the three panels together so they can fold up. I'm about to start messing with building a (hopefully) cheap and easy heli-tracker. We'll see... :thumbsup:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 pm

Bruce,

I am definitely going to get the solar panel you pointed me at...

I think I'll also get that charge controller you have... :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Mike,

I'd look at the Sunsaver series PWM charge controller from Morningstar. I had one on the teardrop and it was a solid performer.

Sunsaver Data Sheet Linky

It has a 3 stage battery charging algorithm, its completely sealed and it has temperature compensation. Plus its not real expensive.

The next step up in charge controllers is an MPPT type. They're expensive but more efficient than the PWM type. You probably won't see much gain unless you have a couple hundred watts of panel so I'd stick with the PWM SS-6 for an 80 watt panel.

Bruce

P.S. SS-6 is ~$40, the SS-MPPT is ~$200 :o
Last edited by bdosborn on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 pm

chorizon wrote:
bdosborn wrote:

Bruce

I will definitely do that! I snagged some real nice aluminum piano hinge from work the other day and am planning on mounting the three panels together so they can fold up. I'm about to start messing with building a (hopefully) cheap and easy heli-tracker. We'll see... :thumbsup:

I'm definitely interested in seeing that!

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Lou Park » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Bruce,
Can 2 of those 85 watt panels be connected or is that too much power?
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Lou,

You can definitely connect panels together, I have a 135W and a 85W connected together on the roof with another 80W portable panel on the ground. You just need to make sure that the panels are compatible and your charge controller is big enough for your panel(s) output. The easiest way to combine panels is to connect them in parallel and get two of the same panels. You'd probably need a 15A controller for two 85W panels as a 10A is cutting it pretty close. Or you could parallel the panels with a two 6 amp controllers, one for each panel.

Here's a link to an article on combining panels of different sizes:
NAWS Linky

Now, is that too much panel? Depends on your usage and the weather (not much solar production when its cloudy). Here's a link to a worksheet that can help you figure out how much panel you need (or want :lol: ):
Worksheet Linky

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Portable Solar Panel Review

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:02 pm

bdosborn wrote:(Doug are you listening?).
Bruce

Bruce...I'm listening and watching...alas...I'm not the electrical wizard you are...I'm very ignorant on the solar technology. You're the Solar God! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to General Discussion