Winter Warrior Plans

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Winter Warrior Plans

Postby rxc463 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Are printed or printable plans still available for the winter warrior? Looking to modify the size a bit, but love the design. Probably going to stretch it out a bit for a true queen size sleeper area and bump up the height just a bit for my 6'-4" frame.
As far as the top hinge is concerned, is it necessary to use the hurricane hinge, or is a piano type hinge with rubber topper workable?. I read some of the past threads on this but it's still not quite clear to me how it worked out.
I have passed quite a few pleasurable hours lately, browsing the past posts.
What a great site you have here! So much knowledge and experience. And friendly to boot!
Thanks, Russ (newbie)
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Yep, we got the plans... be sure to thank angib ... it's his handy work!

WW drawing!
Here's the english version...
http://www.mikenchell.com/images/light-imp-warrior.pdf

and here's the metric version
http://www.mikenchell.com/images/metricwarrior.pdf

Have fun!

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Russ
Actually the piano hinge would probably be better because the hurricane
hinge isn't water proof both ways. I had to add a piece of angle to the back side of the hurricane hinge on ours to act as a gutter and make it water proof.

ours also has a full queen bed and with the drop floor my 6'4" son can stand in the back and not hit his head.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby bgordon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:05 am

Hi Russ,

Welcome to the forum! I also had a question about the hinge, and Mike and Gary (Rayvillian) kindly provided pictures. And as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

The first pic is Gary's WW hinge. As he mentioned in his post - it leaked. So the hurricane hinge is probably not the best bet. The second is Mike's WW hinge, and he told me the hatch kept the rain out.

Hope it helps!

Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:12 am

Welcome to the forum, Russ. What part of PA you from??
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby rxc463 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:37 am

Thanks all for the quick reply. Won't be able to start the build for a little while, but when I do, OH YES There will be pictures.

Kerry: I am from just outside of Allentown. A nice little rural hideaway with lots of deer and turkey and quite a few of punxatawney phil's relatives.
Hoping to get to Gifford Pinchot gathering. Looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks!
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:02 am

Russ, sure hope you make it. Looking forward to meeting you!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby sbraider » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 am

Hello Y'all.
New to the forum, saying hello.

I plan on building a Winter Warrior, or at least starting it this winter. Going over the plans, and mapping out a few modifications I want to make.
Best Wishes
Stu
sbraider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Stu and good luck on your WW build. give me a holler if I can help ya.
Gary
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:07 pm

ya know, I was just outside of Allentown a few weeks back..my Grandmother lives in McAdoo, and my Aunt lives in Hazelton..and let me tell ya, it was COOL to this southern boy when I was there..august around here is 100 degrees..it was in the 40's there at night.

brrrr.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:44 pm

bgordon wrote:... a picture is worth a thousand words ... first pic is Gary's WW hinge. As he mentioned in his post - it leaked. So the hurricane hinge is probably not the best bet ...

Yes indeed ... a picture IS worth a thousand words, and with all due respect to the builder, this one tells us how not to mount an extruded aluminum hinge ... whether it is the "old-style hurricane type" with the 1/4" offset, or my no-offset version. For all intents & purposes, there is only one correct way to mount these hinges (with varying degrees of detail)(and,which has been covered on this Forum many, many times!), and a whole lot of incorrect ways ... but for over 40 years they've proven their worth & durability through all manner of use & abuse.

I can see, however, how the extruded hinges could leak in applications like the Winter Warrior or something like the KampMaster/Wild Goose during a deluge or conditions of wet & heavy snow fall with the roof in the raised position. To the best of my knowledge, these hinges weren't really intended to be mounted in a totally flat & horizontal plane, so it would be a good idea to have a curved or V-shaped bit of Drip Molding mounted to divert that type of water flow off & away from the hinge. (Now, if I can only remember that when I get 'round to building my version of a Wild Goose ... :thinking: ...!)

And, oh yeah ... if you've got a flat roof with a hinge on top (any kind of hinge!), it's always a good idea to have one side a bit lower than the other ... ;)

As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby toypusher » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:18 am

From the Generic Benroy Plans - The CORRECT way to mount hurricane hinge:

Picture of an INCORRECTLY installed hinge, as Grant stated above:

Just thought pictures would be better than an explaination.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby sbraider » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:30 pm

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Welcome to the forum Stu and good luck on your WW build. give me a holler if I can help ya.
Gary

Gary,
Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I've been reading here for a few years, on and off, and am finally ready to plan and build my version.
As for the offer of help, you might regret that, LOL.
Stu
sbraider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:00 pm

No problem Stu I'm usually in here every night, unless I'm camping, and if I miss your post feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you.

Grant, Gee guy when you sold me the hinge you never told me it wasn't water proof both ways. Just kidding. In hind sight I wouldn't use the hurricane hinge on the next WW I build because there is no way to install it correctly. When the top is up it is down hill both ways toward the hinge. The angle I put on the back side does make it work but it still leaks a little in heavy rain storms but not much. there is no leaks when the top is down.
Any way it's not the hinge or the hinge installation it is the trailer design that is the problem a covered piano hinge would work better.

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby grant whipp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:... In hind sight I wouldn't use the hurricane hinge on the next WW I build because there is no way to install it correctly. When the top is up it is down hill both ways toward the hinge. The angle I put on the back side does make it work but it still leaks a little in heavy rain storms but not much. there is no leaks when the top is down ... Gary

Well, I guess I'm just stubborn ... 'cause I'm going to build a Wild Goose/KampMaster in the next couple of years, an will use my hinge (so, I will be running up against the same problem), but like I said:
Grant wrote: ... it would be a good idea to have a curved or V-shaped bit of Drip Molding mounted to divert that type of water flow off & away from the hinge ...

Might even make a nice design element ... :thinking:

I'm still way impressed with your WW design & execution, Gary ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to General Discussion