white rim trail - Jeep rig

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

white rim trail - Jeep rig

Postby fullofdays » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:59 pm

The wife and I are planning a Fall trek out to Southern Utah and plan on exploring White Rim Trail, etc I'm looking for knowledge and experience of folks that have offroad teardrops. What level of offroad trailer do I need to be looking at? Will something like an Aliner popup survive an offroad excursion? Does anyone make an offroad popup light enought and strong enough to follow my fully built Jeep JK? :thinking:
fullofdays
Teardrop Inspector

Re: white rim trail - Jeep rig

Postby markhusbands » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

I've been on the White Rim as a pickup truck supported mountain bike trip. Absolutely incredible scenery. We used a stock Chevy Silverado without difficulty. Much of the road is easy dirt and sand. Here and there you encounter a rock step that is a little steeper. You also have at least one spot that overhangs that could cause problems for taller truck campers. But the biggest worry with the trailer is that there are a couple spots with steep, tight switchbacks. Not sure how that would go with a trailer. Hopefully someone that has driven a larger portion of it will offer some advice. I rode most of it, and it was awesome and not at all hard as a mountain bike trip (unless you do it in one day).

I also recommend lots of beer. :beer:
markhusbands
Teardrop Master

Re: white rim trail - Jeep rig

Postby Dave Nathanson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:26 pm

I drive the whole White rim trail. It is super-great. I recommend when it is not snowing though - I've done it both ways. But I was tent camping both times, no trailer. But I think that any TD sized trailer would be OK, if you are up to it. Most of the trail is pretty easy actually. The views are 100% spectacular. We took 3 days & 2 nights. Could of gone faster, but there are only a very few legal camp spots, so we planned a day between each. We camped the night before entering the park out near the potash mine. I forget just where, but it worked out ok. Once inside the park you have a lot of rules, even if you don't see anybody but once a day.

I'd do that trip again anytime.
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets