Web Page for the Weekender

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Re:

Postby Terri » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Okay, now I am pretty much caught up on the mock-up page... It's got almost 2 dozen photos... many of which you guys have never seen before!!! 8)

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/mockup.html

Mike...

Nice Job~
Terri
Silver Donating Member

Re: Web Page for the Weekender

Postby kd5edj63 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 pm

I am planning on going with this design with slight design changes. My floor is done and is 4x9 rather than 4x8. I like the simplicity and looks of this design. I want to make the "box" in the same way. I will need to pic some brains. Where would be the best place to ask questions. I will be ready to start soon. Financially I have been ready. I almost bought a few sheets of .75" birch today but I see that .5 and .25 will be a better choice. I cant wait to get started. :twisted:
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:19 pm

This is as good a place as any to ask questions...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby kd5edj63 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:44 pm

OK. Bare with me. I ask a ton of questions.
Les has a nice build thread I looked at too. So I have two brains to pick.
What ply wood sheeting should I get for the "box". Keep in mind I will have to graft wood together to get a larger than 8 foot sheet. I do have a biscut joiner :thumbsup:
Also, whats the best glue to use. I was going to go with "liquid nails" but I see alot of people using simple wood glue. I know wood glue wont hold up to moisture
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby tonyj » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Epoxy is your best choice followed by titebond 2 & 3. The laminating glue in the ply will probably fail before your construction glue fails. I would never use liquid nails for a construction joint.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:23 am

tonyj wrote:Epoxy is your best choice followed by titebond 2 & 3. The laminating glue in the ply will probably fail before your construction glue fails. I would never use liquid nails for a construction joint.

I've used Liquid Nails on many minor repair jobs around the house. I even used it to glue a couple of fuel cells into racecars (to supplement the hold-downs). It has proven durable and waterproof. The only failure I have had using it, was when I glued cheap wood parquet floor tiles to a fiberboard sub-floor. It came loose in months. So, when I undertook the trailer build, I used Loctite PL Premium Adhesive to glue every joint and seam (in addition to bolts, screws and metal structural joiners. I didn't want vibratory failure and separation, so I took no chances. The polyurethane component of this adhesive is in sync with the phenolic resin in my plywood, and the many coats of polyurethane I used to cover all. I did use Titebond 2 to glue 1/4" luan (water resistant) over the 1/2" birch plywood I used as my floor (I used it to cover the heads of the carriage bolts I used to secure the floor to the frame cross members). I am pretty certain that the wood will split elsewhere than on any glued surface on my trailer. I used 6 or 7 tubes of the PL, and a half-gallon of TB2.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kd5edj63 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:57 am

do either of you have a part number for these glues. I dont know about an epoxy due to the normal 2 component and typical short working time. If the tightbond comes in calking tubes Id think that would be a good option
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 am

kd5edj63 wrote:do either of you have a part number for these glues. I dont know about an epoxy due to the normal 2 component and typical short working time. If the tightbond comes in calking tubes Id think that would be a good option

I got mine from Home Depot Loctite PL Premium 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive Model # 1390595 Store SKU # 223222 $4.67 each. I also bought the Titebond 2 there Titebond II Premium Wood Glue Gal. Model # 5006 Store SKU # 107243. Not sold in tubes, it is listed at $17.67 now; I couldn't find TB3 at that time anywhere, but I read where it is better.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kd5edj63 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 am

Thank you sir. Can I assume TB 3 is an improved version of TB 2.
I found both on the depot website. Both have great reviews. How will I know when to use what glue for what.
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby tonyj » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Tite-bond 3 not an improved version, but it is formulated for exterior use. However, i have found that TB2 works just fine outdoors and exposed to moisture.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kd5edj63 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks Tony. If I find TB3 I will pick it up. Otherwise I will settle for 2. I'm going to buy the bulk of the wood tomorrow morning. I need tips on what to get
kd5edj63
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:38 pm

TB3 is labelled as "water proof", while TB2 is marketed as being high on the "water resistant" scale of commercial standards.

From what I have read of other peoples experience, TB2 will bond to its cured self more readily than TB3, so many people prefer it for that reason.

I chose to follow suit, using the TB2, and have had no complaints so far (tho, still under construction). I have gotten drips of water on cured TB2 and it did go a bit opaque (like a coffee table ring under an icy drinking glass with no coaster), but it came right back to normal after wiping dry and did not seem to have been adversely affected in the grand scheme of things.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Every floor, wall and roof panel on my teardrop is made with 5'x5' 1/8" Baltic Birch. I had to join 3 pieces to make my side skins 4'x11', ceiling and roof panels 5' x12'. I butt jointed the three panels on a flat bench. Then cut a 4-6" strip of fiberglass cloth and used Raka slow epoxy (40+ minutes working time) over each joint. I used wax paper under the joint and the epoxy will seep into the joint and the cloth will hold it together. Once dry the wax paper peels right off. I then laminated my side panel skins over 1x3 pine frame with foam insulation in the voids. The small strip of cloth and epoxy was plenty to hold the panels together during assembly. For my roof which was three panels 5'x 12' we were able to pick it up and move it and then lay it over the roof as one panel. The only time the joint moved was when I peeled back the front end to apply glue to the roof. The joint split between the wood but the cloth held all of the pieces together. I also made sure most of my joints were over a 1x3 for additional support.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chamm1963 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:56 pm

where can i get a full set of plans for the weekender
including all dimensions???
chamm1963
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ejwittwer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 pm

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender
This is the link for the weekender page, the link for the plans is on that page.
ejwittwer
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs