Cargo Doors as Entry Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cargo Doors as Entry Doors

Postby ezbie » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:18 am

Does anyone have experience with using cargo doors for entry doors? I am still afraid of trying cut, trim, hang, and seal my own. I am waiting on a quote back from RV Surplus on Nappanee's 600 series cargo doors. I will then put my own latch and window in it.
Dont F*ck with Mr Yuck!!!
ezbie
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaulC » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 am

If you are talking about doors like this then I would suggest forget it. You will spend as much time modifying and adapting as it would take to build your own Image

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Re: Cargo Doors as Entry Doors

Postby rampage » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 am

ezbie wrote:Does anyone have experience with using cargo doors for entry doors? I am still afraid of trying cut, trim, hang, and seal my own. I am waiting on a quote back from RV Surplus on Nappanee's 600 series cargo doors. I will then put my own latch and window in it.

Check out Jim Marshalls doors.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby GregB » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:29 am

Paul,

What problems did you have with your little cargo door? I've been thinking about doing the same thing for my cargo area, but using homemade doors for entry and egress.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi Greg, Clarification time Hey. The small access doors did not give me any grief as it was a straight fit into the opening. The larger entry doors required an extra frame etc to enable fitment of the window as the doors are only 5/8" thick in total. Sealing then became a problem. This will require fitment of aluminum angle to allow fitment of a secondary rubber seal. As for the handles, these will require modifying, as the door strength leaves a little to be desired. Also the size of the door versus the size of the window has not left much room for the normal type door handles(poor planning! on my behalf). The other thing is cost. Over here I paid $580.00AUD for the 4 doors and then $380.00AUD for the windows. Realistically I could have bought two Euro style doors from Reiner for about $650.00AUD which would have looked better as well. Alternatively I should have built my own and saved a bucketful of $$$$$'s
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Jim Marshalls Doors

Postby Dog Pound » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Can anyone tell me where Jim found these doors? TIA!
There are no problems: just solutions looking for a home.

If all else fails... DUCT TAPE!!!!
Dog Pound
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:23 am

Dog P

Jim Marshell tells us in this thread where he got them.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ght=#84371

Jim Marshall wrote:Jerome, thanks buddy. The door frames are part of the frames that we bought from an auto salvage yard. Our doors are actually side windows from a wrecked conversion van and the windows are in great shape. You can pick them up for around $35 each here.

The first picture below is with the aluminum frame shown with the window. One word of caution, if you decide to go this route, be sure to pick windows that are not convexed. Ours have a 1/4 inch bow which have caused us a little challenge, but we worked that out and it will not be noticeable. Hinging is a little different from regular doors as well as the latch, but the outcome will be worth the trouble. We really do like ours. If we can be any help to you at all just let us know.

Jim mentions again his one concern about his windows see link and quote please.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... c&start=15

Jim Marshall wrote:
John, the doors are actually windows we bought from a auto salvage yard. They are the side windows from a conversion van at a cost of $35 each. The inside aluminum trim was included with the windows. If you decide to use the windows like these, be sure to buy ones that do not have a curve in them.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Melvin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:20 am

rampage wrote:
ezbie wrote:Does anyone have experience with using cargo doors for entry doors? I am still afraid of trying cut, trim, hang, and seal my own. I am waiting on a quote back from RV Surplus on Nappanee's 600 series cargo doors. I will then put my own latch and window in it.

Check out Jim Marshalls doors.

Anyone else mount their handles in the body rather than the door? It would solve a design problem for me: I'd like to use a lever style handle but I don't want it facing forward where it would hook on things.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:36 am

ezbie,
Camp-Inn sells door kits they bend them to your specs. they seal great and come with weather stripping. That is what I used.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby mightypan42 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Melvin wrote:Anyone else mount their handles in the body rather than the door? It would solve a design problem for me: I'd like to use a lever style handle but I don't want it facing forward where it would hook on things.

You could just "suicide" the doors :lol:
Jimmy
mightypan42
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Laredo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 am

Or hinge 'em at the top like a DeLorean?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Noob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:15 pm

rampage wrote:Image

:thinking:...

Marty.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Melvin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:55 pm

mightypan42 wrote:
Melvin wrote:Anyone else mount their handles in the body rather than the door? It would solve a design problem for me: I'd like to use a lever style handle but I don't want it facing forward where it would hook on things.

You could just "suicide" the doors :lol:

I thought about that. Bloody door would be in the way when getting in and out.

Laredo wrote:Or hinge 'em at the top like a DeLorean?

Gull wings need to hinge in the center otherwise you need too much side clearance. It'd be a bitch to wake up some morning and find some 33' land wag parked so close you can't get out because you've hinged the doors at the edge.

I've given some serious thought to hinging the doors like they do the cargo doors on a bus. Pretty complicated and you wouldn't be able to stand up directly next to the tear.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Melvin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:58 pm

Geez I just noticed the twin tongue jacks. Is that for increased stability when parked? Anyone else have twin jacks?
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques