Could this be the end of Teardrops and home builds ???

Teardrop Gatherings that are National/International in scope includes the United Kindom and Australian Chapters of TearJerkers.

Re: Could this be the end of Teardrops and home builds ???

Postby philh24 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 am

I think I would be pressing for it to be done there aswell, apart from the work you don't no how long your going to be waiting to get it back. Here are the photo's to compare to yours to see if there has been any mods done.T he plate underneath looks like an afterthought to me. Looks a bit grubby because I have just got back with it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26794158@N05/8925194906/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26794158@N05/8925192360/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26794158@N05/8924576655/
I tried to upload them but it would not let me for some reason most probably to large.
philh24
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spardo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks Phil, most informative, the only difference I can see is the continuous welds around the verticals of the C-section and the rather uninspiring backplate tacked on.

I agree with you, a new chassis here is the way to go.

What are you planning to do? Trust it as it is but keep a close eye or do something else?
Salut, David

Follow my travels with dogs at:
http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com
Spardo
Teardrop Builder

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:38 am

I hope that you can both get a new chassis from another source or your money back. From the pictures that you've both shown, one questions the workmanship of the entire chassis.
    The tongue strength of the channels could be calculated, but I think that they are probably strong enough. Most of the vertical strength is in the vertical side of the channel. IMO, the stress cracks & breaks are caused by welding down the vertical side to begin with.
    :peace: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Spardo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 pm

For me Fred, a return of my money is a secondary consideration. The next cheapest model on the market in England or France would cost more in additional cost than my preferred solution of a new chassis here.

That is what I am continuing to press for. ;)
Salut, David

Spardo
Teardrop Builder

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Sounds like France needs a new lightweight teardrop builder, David. Promise me French wine & women and we'll get to work. 8)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Spardo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:07 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:Sounds like France needs a new lightweight teardrop builder, David. Promise me French wine & women and we'll get to work. 8)

Just as long as you don't want travel expenses. :D
Salut, David

Spardo
Teardrop Builder

Postby philh24 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Spardo wrote:Thanks Phil, most informative, the only difference I can see is the continuous welds around the verticals of the C-section and the rather uninspiring backplate tacked on.

I agree with you, a new chassis here is the way to go.

What are you planning to do? Trust it as it is but keep a close eye or do something else?

Well I am certainly going to keep an eye on it that's for sure, I have took it up a very bumpy pot holed road yesterday and there has been no movement in any of the welds at all. It's a trust thing David really knowing this happened to you is always in the back of your mind whenever I use it. I think even though I have had it looked at and had confirmation that Alls well I will feel unsure about it for a while. I do hope you get the outcome that you want. They seemed an ok bunch of guys when I went to pick mine up I even met the guy who built it.
philh24
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spardo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:02 pm

philh24 wrote:Well I am certainly going to keep an eye on it that's for sure, I have took it up a very bumpy pot holed road yesterday and there has been no movement in any of the welds at all. It's a trust thing David really knowing this happened to you is always in the back of your mind whenever I use it. I think even though I have had it looked at and had confirmation that Alls well I will feel unsure about it for a while. I do hope you get the outcome that you want. They seemed an ok bunch of guys when I went to pick mine up I even met the guy who built it.

Yes, but during the couple of hours I waited for it to be completed I heard a sales person on the phone to another customer who had suffered a very late delivery of something which was obviously only the first of a series. The salesman blamed several factors, except himself, and assured the client that further orders would be seen through the whole process from design to production to delivery, by him personally. Fair enough, but this very lengthy conversation, over 15 minutes, was peppered with 'to be completely honest', 'I have to be honest', 'honestly' and other such phrases over and over again which always make me suspicious.

The director also tried to blame me for the delay by arriving unannounced on a Monday afternoon when I had apparently said Tuesday or Wednesday. This despite the fact that when I had queried the late delivery on the phone the previous Thursday I had been assured that it would be completed by 'close of play tomorrow' (Friday).

I too met Gareth, the builder. A very nice man and we chatted at length about all sorts of things while his mate finished off all the polishing and last minute touches. I don't know what his own personal skills were but he did mention that he used to work in another part of the factory and the bloke who built the Teardrops had disappeared one day and never returned. Gareth had been asked to 'fill in' but had been there ever since, many weeks was the impression I got.

Did you witness the lowering of the finished article from the mezzanine where it was built by fork truck with extended forks? My heart was in my mouth as they tilted it onto one fork as it was too long for the section of removed railing. The light cluster missed the stanchion by one millimetre. :o

All in all a not very professional outfit and I certainly would advise anyone to steer well clear.
Salut, David

Spardo
Teardrop Builder

Postby philh24 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Spardo wrote:
philh24 wrote:Well I am certainly going to keep an eye on it that's for sure, I have took it up a very bumpy pot holed road yesterday and there has been no movement in any of the welds at all. It's a trust thing David really knowing this happened to you is always in the back of your mind whenever I use it. I think even though I have had it looked at and had confirmation that Alls well I will feel unsure about it for a while. I do hope you get the outcome that you want. They seemed an ok bunch of guys when I went to pick mine up I even met the guy who built it.

Yes, but during the couple of hours I waited for it to be completed I heard a sales person on the phone to another customer who had suffered a very late delivery of something which was obviously only the first of a series. The salesman blamed several factors, except himself, and assured the client that further orders would be seen through the whole process from design to production to delivery, by him personally. Fair enough, but this very lengthy conversation, over 15 minutes, was peppered with 'to be completely honest', 'I have to be honest', 'honestly' and other such phrases over and over again which always make me suspicious.

The director also tried to blame me for the delay by arriving unannounced on a Monday afternoon when I had apparently said Tuesday or Wednesday. This despite the fact that when I had queried the late delivery on the phone the previous Thursday I had been assured that it would be completed by 'close of play tomorrow' (Friday).

I too met Gareth, the builder. A very nice man and we chatted at length about all sorts of things while his mate finished off all the polishing and last minute touches. I don't know what his own personal skills were but he did mention that he used to work in another part of the factory and the bloke who built the Teardrops had disappeared one day and never returned. Gareth had been asked to 'fill in' but had been there ever since, many weeks was the impression I got.

Did you witness the lowering of the finished article from the mezzanine where it was built by fork truck with extended forks? My heart was in my mouth as they tilted it onto one fork as it was too long for the section of removed railing. The light cluster missed the stanchion by one millimetre. :o

All in all a not very professional outfit and I certainly would advise anyone to steer well clear.

I must admit I never got any of what you did and it does make you wonder if yours had indeed been finished. I never got past the reception area I was told Friday originally then they phoned me and told me Monday. When I arrived at about 2 it was ready outside they showed me around it took my money and photos of the trike with it on and wished me well and safe trip home. My total time there was about an hour ,listening to the way they get them down off the mezzanine it's a wonder they don't damage more. Have you heard of any other sleepers with the a frame fracture.
philh24
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Looking at the weld photos taken by philh24 I have to say that is some of the worst I have seen, weld spatter what appears to be lack of fusion... If it were my trailer I would have some one competent re weld the whole thing. My guess is too high a wire feed. When I had our frame strengthened and some welds repaired I checked in to the certifications of the welder.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Penfold » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 am

philh24 wrote:I must admit I never got any of what you did and it does make you wonder if yours had indeed been finished. I never got past the reception area I was told Friday originally then they phoned me and told me Monday. When I arrived at about 2 it was ready outside they showed me around it took my money and photos of the trike with it on and wished me well and safe trip home. My total time there was about an hour ,listening to the way they get them down off the mezzanine it's a wonder they don't damage more. Have you heard of any other sleepers with the a frame fracture.

Did either of you receive a certificate of conformity to show it has been type approved or even an IVA certificate?
Penfold
Teardrop Inspector

Re:

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 am

angib wrote:
But then folks do love to think they're oppressed, so these horror tales about them banning breathing and such do get passed around.

Andrew

Well here in Simi Valley the city leaders forbade building wooden fences in preference of cinderblock walls that don't survive our frequent earthquakes. After twenty years here both cinderblock and wooden fences require maintenance but the wooden fences are easier to maintain particularly if you use metal fenceposts versus wood. You can't park a car on dirt here either. It's gotta be parked on 4 inches of concrete or 2 inches of asphalt. Everything is brought into the city in trucks but you can't park a truck (semi) in the city overnight and this is a city of 140K with lots of places that are suitable to park semis. We have a federal law that says cities can't forbid you from putting up antennas. So, what the city does is force developers to form Homeowner's Associations and put restrictions on the land deed/title. Because you buy into the restrictions voluntarily they are then legal. But, there are no new homes w/o the restrictions so they aren't quite voluntary if you want a new home. Also the city forces the HOAs to maintain many of the things historically maintained by the city such as streets, medians, and other things. Thus the city spends far less in the new developments but collects just as much (if not more) tax revenue. In effect, double taxation.

I could go on and on. Yes, some of us are feeling a bit oppressed.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby philh24 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

Penfold wrote:
philh24 wrote:I must admit I never got any of what you did and it does make you wonder if yours had indeed been finished. I never got past the reception area I was told Friday originally then they phoned me and told me Monday. When I arrived at about 2 it was ready outside they showed me around it took my money and photos of the trike with it on and wished me well and safe trip home. My total time there was about an hour ,listening to the way they get them down off the mezzanine it's a wonder they don't damage more. Have you heard of any other sleepers with the a frame fracture.

Did either of you receive a certificate of conformity to show it has been type approved or even an IVA certificate?

I recieved a bill of sale and an order confirmation with the chassis number on. There is a vin plate on the chassis with date of manufacture and the unladen weight max weight and who made it. The chassis number is also on there which mine is 000121 so I am presuming they have made 121. I am not sure what number David's is it would be interesting to see how many they have churned out between his and mine.
I would presume David only got the same paperwork as me?
philh24
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Penfold » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 am

philh24 wrote:
Penfold wrote:

I recieved a bill of sale and an order confirmation with the chassis number on. There is a vin plate on the chassis with date of manufacture and the unladen weight max weight and who made it. The chassis number is also on there which mine is 000121 so I am presuming they have made 121. I am not sure what number David's is it would be interesting to see how many they have churned out between his and mine.

What was the date of manufacture? If it was after October 2012 and it hasn't been type approved then they have just sold you an illegal trailer as it should have been IVA tested at least. To avoid this until October 2014 it would have to be classed as a caravan which needs to have storage, a bed and cooking facilities... which the sleeper doesn't have.
Penfold
Teardrop Inspector

Postby philh24 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:47 am

Penfold wrote:
philh24 wrote:
Penfold wrote:

What was the date of manufacture? If it was after October 2012 and it hasn't been type approved then they have just sold you an illegal trailer as it should have been IVA tested at least. To avoid this until October 2014 it would have to be classed as a caravan which needs to have storage, a bed and cooking facilities... which the sleeper doesn't have.

It has a date of manufacture of May this year, they can probably get away with that then because its called a sleeper caravan. It does have a bed a small double matress and there is storage space at the front. The only thing it doesn't come with is a cooker but I am sure they would throw in one of those £10 gas ones to comply for now if they needed to. I would presume Daves was the same aswell as all the others that's been built.
philh24
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to National/International