Rockhopper - Solutions!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Rockhopper - Fiberglass

Postby coostv » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

mikeschn wrote:It's polyester resin from US Composites. I did not add any surface wax to the mix for the first coat. It's the first coat I am trying to sand.

The next coat will have the surface wax, which should make it easier to sand.

No metered pumps. I used a 1/2 teaspoon measure for the hardener, and an accurately marked plastic bowl for the resin.

Mike...

That is why it will not sand. You need the wax in the resin to be able to sand it. You should be just fine to coat the un-waxed resin with waxed resin and continue sand after it cures. I did the same thing when I glassed in a new deck in my boat.
coostv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:49 pm

I grabbed my widest chisel, sharpened it and used it like a card scraper. It works well. So I am going to order a couple card scrapers. Thanks for the tip Pchast.

Once I have all the runs scraped out, I'll put on the second coat with the surface wax.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:56 pm

My mission is to get the Rockhopper mosquito proof by next weekend.I'm worn out... But here's what it's looking like...

I got the back door made too... next time I pull it out I'll take a picture...

I am just about mosquito proof... Gotta get the window in the LH side door, and I think that's about it...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby High Desert » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:10 pm

:thumbsup: looking great Mike!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:25 pm

The Beast Lives! !

Man it is looking good. :thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 am

High Desert wrote::thumbsup: looking great Mike!

+1 :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 am

coostv wrote:That is why it will not sand. You need the wax in the resin to be able to sand it. You should be just fine to coat the un-waxed resin with waxed resin and continue sand after it cures. I did the same thing when I glassed in a new deck in my boat.

Wax is only required when you want gelcoat resin to harden as a top coat. Gelcoat resin is formulated so that it will remain tacky in air, so that subsequent layers of regular polyester laminating resin will bond really well to it. Those subsequent layers also provide the air-free environment that gelcoat resin needs in order to cure fully. So when applying gelcoat resin as a top coat, exposed to air, wax is mixed in - the wax comes to the surface of the resin and creates an air-tight barrier that makes the gelcoat resin harden.

None of that applies to regular polyester laminating resin which hardens perfectly well in air.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Mike, your rockhopper is really looking great. It's obvious you have put a lot of hard work into it. I hope you'll be out enjoying it soon, sans mosquitoes.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Looking real nice.

:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 pm

looks nice mike. I am sure those little flying needles are as big there as they were in Wisconsin (when I lived there) you might want one or some of these at your picnic table too to reduce the odds of one following you in. Or have one inside that would be attracted to the light and not you.

http://www.epestsupply.com/pest_control ... killer.php

Ron Dickey
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:23 am

so, did you 'ever' get the rockhopper out of the garage and get pics? :pictures:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nathan45 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I'm more at home with metal than wood.

After coating the wood with resin and sealing it, does this seal get compromised when you screw on the door hinges etc, or is there a step or detail I missed.

Not criticism, just curious.
nathan45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:22 am

add epoxy to the screw holes, then screw the hinges on, epoxy is very forgiving when done that way, and the epoxy in the holes makes the mounting even stronger. Ski binding screws are mounted that way to keep them from tearing out of the ski.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby nathan45 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:51 pm

rowerwet wrote:add epoxy to the screw holes, then screw the hinges on, epoxy is very forgiving when done that way, and the epoxy in the holes makes the mounting even stronger. Ski binding screws are mounted that way to keep them from tearing out of the ski.

Thanks for that, would that be done by drilling, add epoxy, screw; or would you make the hole with the screw, remove screw, add epoxy, screw on hinges.
nathan45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:32 pm

drill first with a drill that matches the shank size of the screw, not the threads. put a dollop of epoxy on a tooth pick or matchstick and push it to the bottom of the hole, repeat until the hole is full, then screw the screw home.
To remove the screw, or any screw with epoxy in the head, get a long screw driver, heat the tip with a flame, the epoxy will melt out of the screw head, continue to heat the screw driver and hold it on the screw head until the epoxy releases the screw threads.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals